Status: one shot

It's a Love Story

o . n . e OF o . n . e

He stared into the darkness of the sky on a cool summer night, closing his eyes and then opening them before taking in the summer air. It had been years since he had visited this spot; the spot where his wife and he had met nearly fifty years earlier.

...

Greg kicked at the annoying yellow flowers sticking up above the grass as he crossed the wide open field. His shoes were covered in yellow petals. He continued across the field to a bench when he heard a tiny voice yell out from behind him.

“Hey! Wait!” cried the voice. Greg turned around to see a girl of about nine years old, his age, running up to him. Her pink dress following behind her as the wind forced it back while she ran. Greg watched as she came to a halt in front of him, breathing a little heavy.

“What?” he asked, trying to keep a distance between the both of them. She was a girl; he didn’t want her cooties.

“Can I help you kick flowers?” she fluttered her eye lashes.

“What’s your name?” Greg took another small step backwards.

“Amelia. What’s yours?”

“Gregory, but you can call me Greg,” he answered, his eyebrows now scrunched together. She looked up to him with the same look. He thought for a moment before agreeing to let her help him kick flowers. After that day, they had become inseparable.


...

“Grandpa?” the voice of a young girl asked as she tugged on Greg’s jacket. He looked down from the sky to the little girl standing beside him.

“Yes, dear?” he adjusted the glasses on his nose.

“Tell us the story about Grandma again. Please!” she begged and gave her best impression of a puppy face, her lower lip sticking out as far as it could. Greg sighed and nodded his head. She sat down on the blanket he had set on the grass and he bent down slowly to sit next to her.

“Well,” he began. “It was her nineteenth birthday…”

...

Greg walked eagerly up to Amelia’s front door and rang the door bell. A tall man, Amelia’s father, answered with a curious, but stern look on his face.

“Can I help you, son?” her father asked.

“Yes sir, is Amelia here?” he asked.

The father sighed with a bit of anger. He walked through the doorway and closed the door behind him. Greg took a step back, feeling intimidated by the father.

“I told you to stay away from my daughter, boy,” he pointed a long finger at Greg. He gulped loudly like a cartoon character. He then held out an envelope that read ‘Happy Birthday’ on the front of it.

“Can you at least give this card to her, please? It’s just a birthday card.”

Her father grabbed the envelope and watched as Greg walked down the steps of the porch and began his walk down the street to his house.


...

“Grandma got the card, right?” Greg’s granddaughter asked.

“My dear, you need to keep listening. And you know this story already,” he tapped her nose lightly.

“Sorry!” she covered her face. “Keep going please.” Greg smiled as he continued his story.

...

Amelia’s father walked back into the house and into the living room where there were a few family members gathered for Amelia’s birthday. He thought whether or not he should give the card to her, but also didn’t want to seem like the bad guy. It was only a birthday card after all, right?

“Here, Amelia,” he handed the card over to her. Her eyes visibly lit up when she recognized the hand writing.

“Thanks, pop,” she smiled and walked into the kitchen to open the card in privacy. She ripped open the envelope and pulled out the simple card Greg made for her. Her squeal showed her excitement as she read the words he printed inside the card.

My dearest Amelia,

I feared that I wouldn’t be able to see you tonight for your birthday because your father does not approve of us, or possibly just me. I guess I have to accept the fact that our families are very different; I understand why your mother and father would want more for you. Yes, my family is poor, but that does not mean I am not worth your love. I want you to know how much I love you and how much I hope we can be together someday without any hesitations or barriers from our families. One day it will happen, I promise. I love you. Happy birthday.

Love, Greg

P.S.
I know this could get you in tremendous trouble, as it would for me as well. But please try your best. I will be at our spot waiting for you at midnight tonight. I hope that I will see you there, my love.

Amelia held the card close to her chest as the words she read ran through her mind. She felt her heart beat a little faster than normal as she thought about how much trouble she could get in if, she indeed, decided to meet with her true love. But she knew, deep down, that it wouldn’t keep her from being with him. She was going to do it; she was going to disobey her parents and be with Greg, no matter what her family thought.

It was nearing midnight and Amelia was in her bed, waiting for the time she would sneak out of her room and go off to meet Greg in the field where they first met. She carefully slipped on her shoes and opened her bedroom window as quietly as possible. The cold air hit her suddenly as she began to descend from the window onto the large tree sitting beside the house. She climbed down the tree and ran off to the field.

“Hey, wait,” she said as she approached Greg from behind. His mouth formed a smile from ear to ear and he turned to greet her with a passionate kiss. She pulled back and smiled as well. “I’m sorry about my father.”

“No need to apologize,” he placed his finger over her lips. “I’m just happy he gave you the card,” he laughed to himself. She nodded her head as he tugged lightly on her arm to lead her to the bench they had shared the first day they met after kicking flowers in the field. “I need to ask you something, if that’s okay.”

“Of course,” Amelia turned on the bench to face him better. “What is it?”

“I know our families don’t like each other, let alone us being together,” he began. “But I know, for a fact, that I am completely head over heels in love with you.”

Amelia felt her cheeks turn red a little, but still had a big smile on her face. Greg saw her reaction and got off the bench to bend on one knee in front of her. Amelia held a hand over her heart as she knew what was about to happen, but couldn’t really believe it at first. He grabbed her hand and continued.

“Amelia, I don’t want to spend the rest of my life without you by my side,” he said and searched through his pocket with his other hand to reveal a small red velvet box. He lifted the top slowly to show an engagement ring with small, but exquisite diamond. She gasped as he pulled it from the box and stared back up at her.

“Greg, I…” she trailed off and shook her head, still in shock.

“Will you marry me?”


...

“Oh, Grandpa, this is my favorite part!” the little girl exclaimed as Greg took a sip from the bottle of water that was sitting in front of him.

“Okay, hush now,” he chuckled. “Let me finish.”

...

One year later…

Greg and Amelia walked down the aisle, hand in hand, out to the car waiting for them in front of the church. They were officially husband and wife. Greg opened the door for Amelia to climb in first. Before he could climb in after her, he felt a hand come down on his shoulder. He shook and turned around to see Amelia’s father. He felt sweat drops begin to form on his forehead.

“Well, Greg,” her father began; his eyebrows scrunched together, trying to keep the sun from his eyes. He patted Greg’s shoulder before extending his hand to him. “Welcome to the family, son.” He was in shock at first, but finally grabbed the father’s hand to shake it.

“Thank you, sir,” he finally said after a short hesitation. The father half smiled before walking away. The mother then confronted him. She still didn’t know how she felt about the marriage, but she knew she was glad to see her daughter overwhelmed with happiness.

“Greg?” she lightly touched his arm. He looked at her with a little uncertainty, not sure of what she was going to say.

“Yes, Mrs. Nicholas?” his voice shook. She looked at him before pulling him into a tight hug. Not knowing how to react, he wrapped his arms around her to hug her back. As she pulled back, she looked at him again.

“Welcome to our family, dear,” she said.


...

“And you were married for a bunch of years more, right Grandpa?”

“Right,” he nodded his head and stood up slowly. “And every year for our anniversary, we came to this very spot.”

His granddaughter stood up as well and followed him to his and Amelia’s bench. He sat down and ran his fingers over where they had etched their names the day they were married. Looking back up to the summer sky, he smiled.

“Happy anniversary, my dearest Amelia.”
♠ ♠ ♠
one shot story! comments? =]