Status: one-shot.

Black Keys

1/1

Image

She walks away
The colors fade to gray
Every precious moment now a waste


“I can’t stay, Lucas.” Wendy’s words were quiet, filled with pain and hurt. Lucas opened his mouth and shut it, unable to think of anything to say.

“Wendy, please don’t do this.” He begged, finally spitting out sound. He reached out for her, but she pulled away slightly.

“I can’t stay, Lucas.” She repeated, her voice firmer and louder, her decision being made. Wendy knew that she couldn’t take the torment anymore.

“I’m sorry, Wendy, I swear I won’t do it again.”

“That’s what you said last time, Lucas. I have to go.” She said, picking up her packed things.
She grabbed her car keys and walked to the door. She stopped and turned around, looking at the boy she had loved for the past 3 years, and sighed.

“I love you, Lucas. But I can’t do this anymore.” She said, moving forward to kiss his forehead for the last time.

“Good luck.” She said, walking out the door and shutting it behind her, leaving a part of her heart behind.

She hits the gas
Hoping it would pass
But the red light starts to flash
It's time to wait


Wendy quickly drove, wanting to get as far away as possible. She didn’t know what she left behind, and she knew that she didn’t want to. She didn’t need any more heartbreak.

The red light forced her to stop, and she let out a sigh, feeling the tears begin to well up. She didn’t want to leave Lucas. She loved him with all her heart, and when she left, it had broken. She wiped away the tears angrily.

“Shouldn’t be crying,” She mumbled, trying to stop the flood that was now pouring from her eyes.

Back at the house, Lucas was nursing his pains like he always had. The vodka bottle was half-empty, and he took another swig. He wiped his mouth, getting rid of the liquid resting around his lips. His brain, fuzzy from the alcohol, was trying to make sense of why his Wendy left.

“Argh!” He shouted in frustration, throwing the glass bottle as hard as he could at the wall across the room. It shattered into a million pieces, the vodka soaking the carpet. Lucas began sobbing, curling up on the couch, his heart in the same state as the vodka bottle.

And the black keys never looked so beautiful
And a perfect rainbow never seemed so dull
And the lights out
Never had this bright a glow
And the black keys showing me a world I never knew, no
A world I never knew


It was nighttime now, and Wendy was falling asleep at the wheel. She knew she had to pull over. She turned into a small, sleazy motel, parking the car and turning it off. She grabbed her purse, climbing out of the car and walking inside. The elderly woman at the counter gave Wendy a sympathetic smile, handing her the room key.

“Sleep well, darling.” Wendy took the key gratefully, nodding to the woman.

“Thank you.” She said quietly, moving out of the office building and into the room she was sleeping in. She collapsed on the bed, weary. Crying and driving had taken its toll on her.

Her phone rang, a soft, sweet song that she recognized all too well. The Caller ID read ‘Lucas (:’, although seeing his name no longer brought a smile to her face, merely memories of pain and hurt.

She hit the ignore button, tossing her phone into her purse. She changed into comfortable sleeping clothes, and crawled into bed, flipping the lights off. The dim moonlight seemed brighter than ever, and seemed to emphasize the glowing screen of her phone as it rang.

She hates the sun
Cause it proves she's not alone
And the world doesn't revolve around her soul
She loves the sky cause it validates her pride
Never lets her know when she is wrong


Lucas woke up the next morning, his head pounding.

“Wendy?” He called out. The silence that greeted him sobered him quickly, and he stood up,
walking into the living room. The broken glass was still there, and he began to pick it up.

“What have I done?” He muttered, throwing the bits of glass away and looking at a picture of him and Wendy, smiling brightly in the park. He laughed with no humor, remembering how hard he had to work to get her to smile. Wendy was never a fan of the bright sun, preferring a cloudy sky.

Lucas gently picked up the picture, rubbing his thumb lightly over Wendy’s smiling face. In that moment, he knew he had to fix things. He didn’t care how long it took, as long as he could get his smiling, loving Wendy back.

And the black keys never looked so beautiful
And a perfect rainbow never seemed so dull
And the lights out
Never had this bright a glow
And the black keys showing me a world I never know


“Wendy?” Wendy smiled, nodding as she got out of her car and walked up to the porch she had known as a girl.

“It’s me, Momma.” She said, hugging her mother tightly.

“What are you doing here, darling?” Her mother asked, holding her close before pulling away and examining her daughter.

“I have to talk to you, Momma.” Wendy said, her voice dropping as she forced the tears to stay in her eyes. Wendy’s mother nodded, ushering her daughter into her house.

“Your father is at the store,” Wendy’s mother explained, sitting down at the kitchen table. “Now, what is it that you wanna talk about?”

“It’s Lucas, Momma.” Wendy started, sitting down in the chair across from her mother. Wendy began her tale, telling her mother about how Lucas’s drinking problem had only gotten worse as the months went on, and how some nights it had gotten out of control.

“I know he’s not himself when he drinks, Momma, but…there would be flashes of his sober self in his eyes before he would…” Wendy said between sobs, her tears flowing freely down her cheeks. Wendy’s mother wrapped her arms around her only daughter, soothing her silently, waiting for her to finish.

“Before he would hit me. I knew he loved me, deep down, but when he drank, he got so angry, and I couldn’t stay there and keep taking it, Momma.” Wendy said, her voice lowering to a whisper as she cried harder, remembering the nights it was the worst. Lucas had lost control, hitting Wendy as hard as his drunken self could. Wendy remembered thinking and praying that it would all be over soon, and the memories only made her cry harder.

“Shh, Wendy darling, it’s okay. You made the right choice. Walking away is hard, but you did the right thing.” Her mother said soothingly, rubbing Wendy’s hair like she used to when Wendy was younger.

Wendy’s sobs slowly came under control, and her tears stopped falling. Her breathing returned to normal, and the memories faded.

“Do you mind if I stay with you for awhile, Momma?” Wendy asked, and her mother nodded, smiling softly.

“Of course you can stay, love. Why don’t you go upstairs and get comfortable and I’ll make us some lunch?” Wendy nodded and got up, walking up the stairs. Wendy’s mother walked to the stove, turning it on to start making soup, when there was a knock on the door.

“Robert, did you forget your key again?” Wendy’s mother called out, teasing her husband. There was no response, and she frowned slightly, moving to the door. She opened it slowly and cautiously.

“Lucas?” The boy nodded, running his fingers through his hair.

“Is Wendy here? I need to talk to her.”

Yeah
The walls are closing in
Don't let em get
Inside of your head
Don't let em get
Inside of your head
Don't let em get
Inside of your head
Don't let them inside


“I’m not sure what you mean.” Wendy’s mother said, unsure if her daughter wanted to speak to Lucas or not.

“Please, Mrs. Potts, all I’m asking for is 5 minutes. I just want to apologize.” Lucas said, his eyes red and his cheeks tear-stained. Mrs. Potts took in the boy’s appearance, and sighed, silently cursing her motherly instincts.

“Come inside. I’ll get her.” She said, moving aside so Lucas could walk in. He did, sitting down on the couch quietly. Wendy’s mother walked upstairs, entering Wendy’s room.

“Wendy, sweetheart, there’s someone to see you.” Wendy stood up, confused.

“Who?”

“Lucas.”

Wendy felt her heart soar and then burst with that one word, those two syllables, and five letters. She didn’t know how she felt. Half her heart was elated, rejoicing in the fact it would get to see Lucas again. The other half was upset, wishing it wouldn’t ever have to see his face again.

“Wendy?” Her mother asked, concern for her daughter written all over her face. Wendy inhaled deeply, clearing her thoughts.

“I’ll talk to him.” She said, her head high.

Cause the black keys never looked so beautiful
And a perfect rainbow never seemed so dull
Oh-oh
And the lights out never had this bright a glow
And the black keys showing me a world I never know


Wendy moved down the stairs slowly, every step filled with dread, anticipation, fear, and joy. When she finally reached the landing and stepped into the living room, all her emotions bubbled up and took over her. She kept her face blank though, sitting down in the armchair across from Lucas.

“Yes?”

“Wendy…” Lucas started, his voice breaking. “I’m sorry. I don’t expect you to come back, but I just want you to know I’m sorry. I never meant to hurt you, ever. I love you Wendy. I always will. I know you’re going to do great things, and I’m sorry for everything I’ve ever done. I’m going to miss you.” He poured out his heart to her, feeling waves of sadness rush over him as he spoke. Wendy watched him carefully, trying to examine everything he said. She couldn’t. She just focused on his face, watched as the tears welled up in his eyes, felt her heart break a little more as each one fell quietly.

Don't let em get
Don't let em get
Inside of your head
No
Don't let em get yeah
Inside of your head
Don't let em get
Don't let em get
Inside of your head
Don't let em get
Oh-oh
Inside of your head


In spite of her heart breaking, Wendy knew that she couldn’t let Lucas back into her life.

Not yet.

She got up from her chair, sinking down behind him, her feet curled up underneath her as she watched his face carefully.

“Lucas, I love you. But I meant what I said. I can’t stay anymore. Not until you get help.” She said, reaching out and grabbing his hand in hers. She rubbed it softly with her thumb, waiting for his response.

Lucas looked at their hands, and then up into her eyes.

“I will. Wendy, I swear to you, I’m going to get help. And as soon as I’m healed, I’m going to come find you, and maybe we can be happy again.” Lucas said, his voice ringing with honesty. Wendy smiled wistfully.

“Maybe.” She said, knowing she couldn’t promise him anything else. She leaned forward, kissing his cheek softly, taking in everything about him one last time.

“Goodbye, Lucas.” She said, rising from the couch and letting go of his hand, walking away from him for the last time.

Sometimes a fight is better black and white.
♠ ♠ ♠
contest !
My song was Black Keys, in case you didn't catch that.
I hope it was good!
Comment and let me know (:

second banner done by Jones Junkie, for this contest!