Status: hiatus

The Perfect Mistake

This Means War

Erin James was perfect. Her long, naturally blonde hair always stood at the perfect volume, her baby blue eyes always seemed to pierce through you in an odd, soul searching way and always had the hint of a happy shine. She had a body that was to die for, “perky” in all the right places and natural. She had never used a work out tape or a machine to achieve the shape.

She was smart, far smarter than most of the people in their graduating class. That, much like her figure, came natural to her. You would never catch Erin James spending hours upon hours studying; she would never be caught dead in the library. Instead, she would be at a party or out with her friend’s.

Erin was a social butterfly, always making new friends, she could be thrown in any social situation and come out alive, a bright smile on her face and her barely there wardrobe still intact.

Hailey Martin was the complete opposite in just about every way. She spent twenty minutes trying to get her coffee colored hair tame; her deep brown eyes were always tired and never had the same “soul searching” effect. Hailey had always needed to be active to keep her thin figure intact.

She was in no way stupid, but where Erin naturally picked up concepts without any effort, Hailey needed to work. She spent hours studying, had a tutor senior year, and had become all too familiar with books. It took a lot to get her to go to a party, and she wouldn’t be caught dead going out on a school night.

Hailey wasn’t exactly the most social girl in the world, she didn’t really like to make new friends, and you could forget about throwing her in foreign social setting. When faced with something like that Hailey did one of two things, she stayed in the background and stayed quiet or she stuttered herself into embarrassment. She also thought meeting new people was a ridiculous idea, most idiots her age weren’t worth the trouble and she loved all of the friends she currently had.

But while both girls were the complete opposite of each other they were the best of friends. They had known each other since they had been in diapers, had been having a weekly sleepover since they were eight, dragged each other to concerts and movies the other girl didn’t want to see. They were as close as two people could get without sharing DNA; they had been there for each other through everything. Chickenpox, birthday’s, when Hailey got braces, when Erin broke her arm, first kisses, the first time, a string of boys who had broken Hailey’s heart and the only boy who Erin had given hers to.

Erin was everything that Garrett Nickelsen ever wanted in a girlfriend at fourteen, she’s was pretty, she had the cutest giggle anybody had ever heard, she dressed to impress and she was the life of any party. He wasn’t looking for anything that would last beyond a month; nobody had expected that four years later at eighteen, Erin James would still be everything that he ever wanted in a girlfriend.

Hailey was also one of his best friends, the only girl he could trust other then Erin, the only girl cool enough to have a beer with the guys and the only person he could go to for the kind of advice a guy couldn’t give him.

If anybody had told the three of them that they would be here now, with their lives completely turned around, they wouldn’t have believed them. It was completely unfathomable that Erin and Hailey would be at odds, especially over a boy.

In all of the years that they had been friends no boy had ever come between them, they didn’t even share the same taste in guys. But somehow Garrett had changed all of that and two girls who had once been the best of friends were suddenly the worst of enemies.