Scalpels and Switchblades

Chapter 10

Tracey’s POV
My breathing became ragged and uneven as I entered my home, my hands trembled as I picked up a letter opener on the desk in my hallway. I clutched the handle tightly, turning my knuckles white. If someone was here, they’d have to expect a fight.

“Hello?” I called out. But there was no reply. The only noise was the dull hum of the heating system warming my house. I slowly walked into the living area, which was in the same state as when I had left it earlier today. There were random papers, facts and figures about the hospital scattered across my coffee table, along with my mug, which had once contained green tea. The cushions on my sofa were strewn across it in a casual mess, and my slippers were lying on the floor, right where I had previously taken them off.

I then wandered off to the kitchen area, still feeling uneasy about the whole atmosphere, but again, it was just as I had left it, and the same went for the bedroom, and my bathroom.
When I finally felt safe that my house was free from intruders, I went back to my front door locking it and double checking. There was no way anyone was getting in now.

I collapsed on my sofa and let out an exasperated sigh. How long was this going to go on? Did I really want to be constantly looking over my shoulder, jumping at the slightest sound, sleeping with the light on? No. Maybe I should just get this favor out of the way. It can’t possibly be that bad, could it? Then again, he is a man, what if it’s...
Shaking the thought from my mind I decided the only way I was going to find out was by contacting him. I rummaged through my purse, until I found it. His card.

I punched the numbers into my cell phone and waited for the call tone

Beep, Beep, Bee-“Uh, Hello?” answered the voice on the other end.

“Hi... It’s me, I-“

”Ah princess, you saw my message I take it?”

“Yes Joker, I did. What do you want from me, because whatever it is, I’d rather it happened sooner rather than later.”

My, my aren’t we... eager.

“Just come over to my apartment, I’m at-“

“No, no, no, don’t tell me.-Beep” He hung up?

“I already know!” I turned quickly to see him standing over me.

“How on earth?” I mused

“I’m guessing you were never very...good at hide and go seek? You didn’t look very hard toots.”

“How did you know where I live?”

“That one was easy, I knew I’d seen that pretty lil mug of yours before. Tracey Roberts.” He said my name in such a sinister tone, it made my heartbeat accelerate. He moved towards me, his pace uneven, and he sat down, facing me, his dark eyes studying the room.

“Well, I must say, you have yourself a nice little place here huh?”

“What? Oh... Yeah, I guess.”

“Such a shame.” He mumbled.

“What?”

“Oh, never you mind. Now go get some stuff, this favor, it’s going to take a while, so you’ll be staying with me.”

“A while? Why? It’s not like what you did for me was very big!”

“And that, Miss Roberts, is where you are mistaken. Y’know Bruno had a lot of friends in high places... I’ve made myself a lot of new enemies now, no thanks to you.”

“Like who?”

“You ask a whole lot of questions, y’know that? Anyways, we need you to get your stuff.”
I stayed sat, analyzing the situation in my head, maybe I could get out if I just-

“NOW!” he bellowed his voice deep and gruff.
I was soon busy filling a bag with clothes and other necessities, although I didn’t plan on staying with him to long. When I finished I walked back through to the living room to see him inspecting pictures of my family and a much younger me.

“Cute.” He commented, although it sounded more sarcastic then anything.

“Uh-hm.” I cleared my throat trying to gain his attention.

“At last. Now, out the fire exit... Chop chop!”

I bundled myself, and my possessions out of the exit, scared to question him anymore. He soon followed and started rushing down the stairs. I followed suit and picked up my pace.
When we reached the ground I was pushed into a battered old van. When the Joker was seated himself he started to yell at the driver.

“Go...Go, drive.” The driver responded by pulling out of the alleyway at an alarmingly fast speed. Suddenly the ground on which we were driving started to shake, and behind us, I heard a terrible rumbling sound. He fan was being pelted by what looked like gravel and debris.

“What the fu-“ Out of the back window I caught sight of what looked like my apartment building collapsing into the ground.

“Such a shame.” Sighed the Joker. Then it made sense.

“YOU!” I screamed. He’d blown up my home. I felt anger overwhelm. The bastard blew up my home! I pounced at him, my arms and legs swinging as I tried to injure him in any way possible.

“Oh boy, she’s a feisty one!” Hooted the Joker as he pinned me down.

“Toots, you’re gonna need to learn to control that...temper. Now, goodnight.”

“Goodnight? What?” Before I could get my answer the Joker head butted me and I was engulfed in darkness.

End Flashback
♠ ♠ ♠
Yes, it's been a while, ever so sorry.