Scalpels and Switchblades

Chapter 4

Tracey's POV

Three days, three whole days have passed since I’ve been here, and not once have I heard a thing from J. Three Whole days, and all three days the same.
Wake up. Eat breakfast. Sit in cell. Eat lunch. Go to recreation room. Freak out other inmates for giggles. Get sent back to Cell. Eat dinner. Take meds. Sleep.

Fun.

Right now I’m sat in my cell picking at the loose threads on my sheets. There is nothing to do in here, and as I’m on suicide watch it’s extra boring, no books, papers, drawing materials, it’s stupid, what the hell do they think I’m gonna do? Paper cut myself to death?
My attention was turned to the cell door. It opened up and standing in the door way was a doctor. He couldn’t have been much older than me, thirty maybe. His hair was brown and short, and his face plain. He looked like a pretty plain person really, you know the type, nothing truly stands out, they are just there, and they don’t seem to have a purpose. Funny, I was like that once. Plain. But that was long ago.

“Miss Roberts.” He nodded towards me, a plain persons greeting.

“Tracey.” I stated “Call me Tracey.”

“Well Tracey, this way please, we have an appointment.” He said directing me down the hall.

At last, something new! I thought I was going to go out of my mind. I hated boring. Things were never boring with J.

I was lead into a room, a plain room, much like everything else in this place.
White walls, Grey carpet, table, chairs and a tape recorder, plain

“Okay Mi- Tracey…” well at least he listened “I’m going to be conducting an interview. You see before we help you, we need to know about you, your life, all your history. It may provide a clue as to why you are like you are.”

“Suicidal you mean?”

“Among other things yes.” he answered looking up from the tape recorder he was trying to work.Other things? What’s that meant to mean eh?
My brow furrowed in confusion and the doctor looked up at me.

“So we’ve done some research into your file, mind if we just go over that?” He asked pressing play on the machine.

“Sure.”

“Patient number, 2809, Full name Tracey Roberts otherwise kno-“

“Fin, my middle names Fin, it’s not my full without my middle name.” The doctor sighed.

“Full name Tracey Fin Roberts...” He repeated, adding emphasis to the “Fin”, I just lent back in my chair and grinned.

“... Otherwise known as “the Surgeon”.” He paused and looked at me, as if questioning the correctness of his statement, so I nodded.

“Sex-“

Doc! What kind of a woman do you take me for? Not until the second date.” I interrupted, trying to hold back the laughter, he on the other hand, didn’t look so amused.

“I’ll just shush now”

“Yes I think it’s better if you do” was his reply.

"Sex, Female. Height; five foot, 6 inches. Weight 9stone 8lbs.”

“Excuse me doc? This is taking a bit too long now, how about I speed thing up? I was born in New York, but moved to Gotham when I was just 7, my mom worked in some office as a secretary, and my dad was a teacher, biology teacher to be precise. I had a good upbringing. I went to high school and college and graduated from both, majoring in human biology, I then trained as a surgeon for Gotham East hospital. Any other questions?”

“You seemed to have covered most; I take it you became a surgeon?”

“Yeah, but not for long, I couldn’t deal with it, second year into the job and the hospital was strapped for cash, so they decided to sell some shares, get some corporations involved. Trouble was these “corporations” weren’t so clean. I don’t suppose you’ve ever heard of Tony Zucco?”

“Yes the name is familiar.”

“Yeah well, he decides there isn’t enough money being made from extorting circuses anymore, so he moves on to the hospitals. His first plan of action? Not only will people have to pay through the roof for surgery, but now, there’s no waiting list for organs, instead people waiting for transplant can bid on the stuff they need! So of course I couldn’t sit around and let it happen, So I start up a campaign to try and expose him.”

“This is all very well, but I don’t understand, your intentions seem well, but were did it all go wrong?”

“Well that’s simple, that was the night I made a deal with the devil...”
♠ ♠ ♠
Yes, so comment? Please?