Scalpels and Switchblades

Chapter 9

Tracey's' POV

“I think we last left off with your first meeting with the Joker? Am I correct”

“Yeah, sounds ‘bout right to me doc.” I nodded, leaning back in my seat

“Well can you recall your second meeting?”

“Indeed, I can.” I don’t think I’d ever forget.
The doctor pressed the record button and signaled me to start

“Well, after our first...encounter, I decided to lay low for a while, I avoided leaving the house thinking maybe he’d forget about me, and our deal.”
“I see.” he nodded.

“Well, hadn’t heard anything of him, or the death of Mr. Zucco, so I figured, I’d got away with it. I’ve never been more wrong in my life.”

Flashback

It had been a week since our meeting, and I have yet to leave the house, but now i’m running out of food. There’s been no mention of Zucco, or the Joker, so I figured It’d be safe enough to venture to the shops.
I slipped on my jade military style jacket and headed out of my apartment, locking the door behind me.

The winter wind nipped at my face as I headed down the streets of Gotham. I rubbed my hands together, hoping the friction would warm them... it didn’t. Walking further down the street I passed a man carrying a steaming cup. Hot chocolate! That’s what I needed. I scanned the area for a coffee shop, and there at the end of the street was exactly what I was looking for, so I sped up my pace, heading for the shop.
When I reached my destination, I queued up, and ordered myself a hot chocolate, with extra whipped cream... obviously.

After receiving my beverage I sat in a booth near the window of the cafe. The cafe itself was rather quiet, the only noises being hushed conversations, and some rather annoying music, being played on a television near the back of the room. I watched out of the window as people scurried passed, busy in their own little worlds, but I was soon interrupted out of mine.

Breaking news, we have just received reports that Tony Zucco, local business man, and Vice CEO of Gotham east, has been found dead. He will be dearly missed

“Yeah, right.” I thought out loud.

A video tape was found not far from the body, some viewers may find the images disturbing.
The screen changed, showing The Joker leaning over the dead body of Tony Zucco. His face held a sinister smile, and he stared directly into the camera.

“One moment.” He stated, then turned back to the body. I couldn’t make out what he was did next but when he turned back, he had a bloodied knife in his hand.

“Hello Gotham.” He greeted.

“Just a quick video to say...” He paused allowing his tongue to glide over his ruby smile “...I’m baaaack.”he sang.
I propped up the body of Mr. Zucco, showing he had mutilated his face, by carving in a smile.

“See! I knew everyone would be happy to hear that.” He giggled, but his face soon turned serious again.

“Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to see a lady about a deal.” Although I knew this was recording it seemed as if he was addressing just me now.

“Remember toots, I’ve kept my part of the bargain, now it’s your turn.”
He flashed on last smile, and the screen went static.

A wave of unease washed over me, and my heartbeat increased in speed, I needed to get home. Home was safe.
I rushed out of the coffee shop and straight back to my building. I flew up the many flights of stairs, until I reached my apartment door.
Which was slightly ajar.

“Oh dear.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Ooh Ah. Comment?