Gotta Be Somebody

Gotta Be Somebody

James was watching as Savannah ran around his back yard playing with the dog that he had gotten her last year for her eighth birthday. He watched as the child and the dog started his way. He had to get her ready to go back to her moms. He loved his daughter and he knew that Jacey and Aaron belonged together, that much was obvious from the way that they acted and a few times lately he had babysat for them. They had a set of twins, a boy and a girl named Calliegh and Chase. Savannah loved her brother and sister as much as she loved her cousin Rayne and her best friend Kaylee’s baby brother Charles. Whenever James saw all the smiling couples that he considered friends he felt his heart break a little more. He wanted what the others had and he highly doubted he would ever really find it. As his soon to be nine year old ran in his direction he smiled at her knowing that no matter what two years ago had happened and it had forced him to be a father and he was thankful for it. Especially since in the end everything had turned out just fine. Well except for him it hadn’t. He wondered if maybe Jacey had been right. Was he a jackass? Just another guy that didn’t know how to love a woman and be faithful. As he watched his ex-wife pull into the driveway he sighed. He had long since apologized to her for hurting her and even for the scene that was technically started that day at the charity concert by him. Even though she said that it was her fault as well for not telling Aaron. He knew that Aaron wasn’t going to try and take his place as Savannah’s dad and he knew that Savannah loved her step dad. But he was even jealous of that a little bit, because the only one that he had to love was his daughter.

As Jacey walked up the front walk he tilted his head to the side. She was alone which wasn’t normal. She usually had one of the twins with her. She was talking animatedly on the phone with someone and from the looks of it, it was Aaron. She was excited about something. When he opened the door for her she even hugged him, before kneeling down and wrapping their daughter in a hug as well.

“Mommy, what are you so happy about?”

“I’m pregnant sweetie.” James’ face fell but he managed to get himself under control before she stood back up to talk to him about the following weekend which was Savannah’s birthday party.

“You mean I’m gonna be a big sister again?”

“Yeah sweetie you are.”

“YAY, did you hear what mommy said daddy?”

“Yep, why don’t you go out to the car and get in. I need to talk to your mom about something.” As he watched her go out to the car.

“What’s up James?”

“About her birthday party…”

“Oh don’t tell me you aren’t gonna be there. She’ll be so upset.”

“No, I just wanted to know when the hell I was supposed to pick up the cake and to make sure that it was still at three.” He said knowing that the fact that she was pregnant was going to make things a whole lot harder to talk to her about. He had so many things he wanted to ask her at that moment, because he was ready to start looking for someone and he wanted to know if it was harder when you had a kid.

“Yes three, and the cake needs picked up at two thirty, and you volunteered remember, since it’s on your way. That’s not what you wanted to talk to me about is it?”

“No, not really and this is going to sound lame, but I kinda wanted some advice.”

“About?”

“This is gonna sound stupid…”

“James…” Jacey looked at him and crossed her arms across her chest and waited for him to continue.

“I was just thinking that maybe I would start dating again and…”

“The fact that you have a kid concerns you doesn’t it?”

“Just a little.”

“Just be honest about it. I have to go, Aaron’s cooking dinner for us, you know what why don’t you join us? We could finish this conversation with Aaron, since you know he entered into a relationship with someone with a child. And it is sample night…”

“I don’t think…” he started to say even though it sounded like it’d be a little bit of fun.

“Nonsense, it’s a good idea.” It was still weird how she knew what he was gonna say before he said it, but then again she was that way with a lot of people.

“Alright, you know there’s no arguing with you when you’re pregnant.”

“I know.” And Jacey walked to her car and pulled out her phone and Aaron said that it wouldn’t be a problem and that he would gladly talk to his friend. As he hung up the phone Aaron looked around the kitchen. She was on her way home and the twins were being good watching something on TV and he had made enough for company because he knew she loved when he cooked, so her inviting James over hadn’t been a problem. That and it was also what they had called Sample night last year for Savannah’s birthday party, and they had done it again for Kaylee at Jessica’s request. There were about twenty different types of things covering the surfaces in the kitchen. When they had found a place to move in with room for their growing family, because both Aaron and Jacey wanted more than just the twins they had also wanted a large kitchen. They had found what they wanted and it wasn’t that far from her sister and brother in laws house. He glanced up when someone walked into the kitchen. It was Jacey’s parents. Chrys and Jimmy were on their way over with Rayne as well. Five minutes later Calliegh was running into the kitchen with Chase on her heels squealing something about her mom. Aaron picked her up and his father in law took Chase’s hand and they all walked outside and watched as Jacey got her things out of the car and Savannah ran to the front door.

James looked up and couldn’t believe that he was doing this. He waved to Jacey’s mom and dad who were glad the man had decided to be a father to their oldest grandchild and that he had a part in her life. He called over to Jimmy who was handing Rayne to his wife. Jimmy walked over and took two of the twelve packs that James had bought on the way over. He had bought four when Jacey had told him that Her parents were there and Chrys and Jimmy were gonna be there. It was his contribution for the night which Jacey seemed to be thankful for, seeing as now they wouldn’t drink all of her pop. As they all made their way inside Aaron kissed his wife on the cheek and grinned. He was the first person that she had obviously called. And who she had been on the phone with when she had gotten to James’ house. She sat her stuff down and hugged her mom and dad and then her sister and brother in law. She looked at them all and grinned.

“Okay Jace, what’s up you haven’t smiled this much since I think it’s a tie between when you got married to Aaron or when the twins were born.” Chrys said.

“I’m pregnant.” She said excitedly. Her family converged on her and hugged him. Savannah was laughing as her siblings and cousin decided that they wanted in on the hugging. She also saw the sadness in her dad’s eyes. But she didn’t say anything. She was just glad that he was there because she had come to love him more than she had two years ago. James and Aaron rolled their eyes at the women and Jimmy shook his head at his wife as she hugged her twin sister tight.

A week later James was walking into the grocery store to pick up Savannahs cake when he realized that everything that Aaron had said was that as long as he was honest about having a kid and was careful about who he dated seeing as who he was he shouldn’t have any problems. He was getting ready to pay for the cake when he saw her. She looked really familiar and wondered where in the hell he had seen her before. As she walked to get in the check out line he remembered. She had a child with her, probably about the same age as Savannah. He had gone to school with her. She had moved before they graduated. He had picked up some more pop because they weren’t sure exactly how much the kids were gonna be drinking that day and Savannah had at least ten of her friends over for the party. He was pulling his wallet out of his back pocket when she spoke to him.

“James?” he turned and got a really good look at her for the first time in years.

“Jami?”

“Yeah wow it’s been a while.”

“High school.”

“Yeah, who’s birthday?”

“My daughters.”

“Lucky kid.”

“How’s that?”

“You care about her, if you remember her birthday.”

“Didn’t used to always be that way.” He said as he got his change back.

“Well you’re there for her now right?”

“Yes, and her mother and stepfather are gonna kill me if I’m late.” He said smiling.

“Hey see you around.” She said as he started to walk away.

“Jami, maybe we could get together and catch up sometime.”

“I’d like that, but I’d have to find a baby sitter. Christa’s dad could care less about her, so he won’t take her.”

“She could come with us.” James was suddenly nervous.

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah” James took a pen off the checkout counter and wrote his number on the back of his receipt and handed it to her. She took it and smiled at him.

“Okay” She smiled at him as he walked away. He had been one of the only guys in the whole school that had stuck up for her when people made fun of her. She shook her head as she walked out of the store twenty minutes later.

As James pulled into Aaron’s driveway he watched as Jacey walked out. She had her where the hell have you been look on her face. James looked at the clock on his phone he was thirteen minutes late. He rolled his eyes and handed her the cake as she reached for it.

“Well?”

“Well what Jace?”

“Where have you been, Savannah thought you ditched and decided not to come.”

“I’m only thirteen minutes late.”

“So what’s the excuse and it better be a good one.” At least she had a slight smile on her face.

“Ran into an old friend at the store, made plans to get together and catch up later.” He was lying but only a little. How the hell was he supposed to tell her it was because of a woman. Even though technically Jamison Montoya had been an old friend, he had always liked her well more than liked her.

“Uh huh, what she look like James?” Jacey said as they walked inside him carrying two 24 count cases of Dr. Pepper and Mountain Dew.

“She was an old friend from high school. Seriously I haven’t seen her in forever, she moved before we graduated.”

“Uh huh name.” Jacey said suddenly teasing him.

“It’s not what you think it is Jacey.” Who the hell was he trying to convince yes it was. He thought to himself.

“What’s not what she thinks it is?” Matt asked as he walked over to take one of the cases of pop.

“James has a date.”

“No I don’t.” James couldn’t believe this.

“Seriously?” Jimmy asked taking the other. James tossed his hands up in defeat.

“Where’s the birthday girl?”

“Outside with her friends.” Aaron said saving his friend from the interrogation the others were giving him.

“Thanks.” and James walked outside and Savannah grinned when she saw him.

“DADDY”

“Hey Vannah.”

“You came.”

“I had a stop to make.”

“I thought you weren’t coming.”

“Na, I don’t know where I’d rather be then right here for you. Happy birthday sweetie.” James said hugging his daughter. She hugged him back and then she took off to play with her friends. James noticed that Kaylee was playing excitedly with the others as well and shook his head. He grabbed a can of Dr. Pepper before it got put in the fridge and a glass from the cabinet when Jacey pointed to where they were and then got ice. He filled the glass and smiled to himself. He about jumped when he heard his cell phone go off, which was sitting on the table beside the case of Mountain Dew. Aaron picked it up and looked at the number.

“Hmm no name…”

“Gimme the phone Aaron.” James said as he reached for it.

“Who is it?”

“Gimme the phone and I’ll tell you.” Aaron raised an eyebrow and Chrys rolled her eyes at her brother in law and nieces father, grabbed the phone and handed it to James. Who of course didn’t tell him who it was, even though he wasn’t planning on telling his friend, he took the phone from Chrys and answered it.

“Chrys you’re no fun.” Aaron said.

“Let the man answer his phone then.” They both turned to James as he did just that.

“Hello?”

“Hey, it’s Jami.”

“Oh hey” He grinned he hadn’t expected her to call so soon. But he had hoped that she would.

“I was just thinking that I don’t work tomorrow night, if you wanted to get together then…”

“Uhm, I’ll have to bring Savannah, but sure.”

“Okay” She figured out quickly that Savannah was his daughter by how it said it. “Where?”

“Uhm, some place with kid food, Savannah only really eats Chicken nuggets when we go out.”

“Christa too, how about that one place on Main…”

“Marley’s?”

“Yeah”

“That works”

“See you tomorrow is seven okay cos it’s a school night and everything…”

“Yeah that’s fine.” they hung up at the same time and James had a bunch of adults looking at him like he was crazy. “WHAT?” He asked when he realized that Jacey, Chrys, Jessica, Aaron, Jimmy, Matt and Jacey’s parents were looking at him.

“Sounds like a date to me.” Jacey said grinning.

“It’s not a date.” James said rolling his eyes.

“Just remember you have Savanna tomorrow night. And make sure she gets on the bus in the morning…” Jacey said.

“Which is why we’re meeting up at seven, Vannah has school.”

“So it is a date.” Chrys said smirking. She loved teasing him, she always had.

“Guys a little help here.” James was begging. The guys backed up and shook their heads no. He was on his own.

“Sorry man.” The rest of Savannah’s party went off great and there were no problems but Jacey did tease him a little as he and Savannah headed out. He glared at her.

Jamison Montoya was standing in the middle of her apartment looking at the mess that her room mate and best friend Salina had made and sighing. She couldn’t find any of her clothes and she was seriously starting to think about hiding them in Christa’s room. And that was because the nine year olds room was off limits to Salina. She sighed as she dug through the pile of clothes until she found a pair of jeans and then she began searching for a tank top. It seemed that the reason that she could never find her clothes was because Salina always wore them. Didn’t the woman have her own clothes? Jami grabbed the cleanest looking shirt she could find and checked on Christa. As soon as she finished tying her shoes she was done. Jami herself slid on a pair of flip flops as she took Christa’s hand and grabbed her car keys.

James grabbed his keys as Vannah finished tying her shoes and smiled when his daughter walked out the door after petting the dog. He loved his daughter and was glad for the way things had gone for the most part two years earlier. As they got in the car he watched her put on her seatbelt without being told and then rolled his eyes as she started asking to listen to the radio. He turned it on and she couldn’t decide on anything so he pulled out a bunch of CD’s and randomly picked a mixed CD from the pile and put it in. She grinned and he rolled his eyes when some pop song he didn’t recognize by Hannah Montana started playing. He had randomly chosen one of Vannah’s CD’s that Jacey had slipped into his car. He knew that it was because she felt that if her and Aaron had to put up with it then so did he. He sighed and tuned it out.

They all somehow managed to show up at Marley’s at the same time and Christa looked at Savannah and then hid behind her mom. Jami looked down at her daughter and raised an eyebrow.

“Sweetie what’s wrong.” Jami asked getting level with her daughter.

“I go to school with her.” She said it like it was a bad thing.

“Hi Christa.” Savannah said happily. She had been trying to get her to play on the playground for about three weeks. She glanced around Jami and looked at the other girl. She shyly and slowly moved from behind her mom, but stuck to her mom’s side.

“H..hi… Savannah” She said shyly. “Mommy I’m hungry.”

“Then lets go in and get something to eat.” James said and held the door open for all three girls. They walked in and since the place wasn’t busy they were seated immediately. The girls were handed kids menus and crayons and amazingly now that she was sitting across from Savannah she was fine and talkative because the two girls were suddenly playing tic tac toe on the back of the paper menus that they had been handed. James and Jami watched them for a minute as they sat silently staring at the menus they had been handed. After they had ordered they laughed at the fact that as predicted both girls order edchicken nuggets and curly fries. Each with a dr. pepper.

“So what have you been up to since high school?” James asked Jami.

“Not much just obviously for the past nine years raising Christa alone. I got that job at the library when I moved back here.”

“The library…”

“Yeah, I work with one other person Jacey…I can’t remember her last name though.”

“Boehler”

“Yeah that’s it, how’d you know and she’s really nice.”

“She’s my ex wife. Vannah’s mom.”

“Small world. So what about you, other than getting married and divorced and having a kid that is?”

“Performing and in the past two years getting my life back on track.” She smiled at him. “So what about Christa’s dad?”

“I found out I was pregnant and he really didn’t care. We broke up and he said he didn’t want anything to do with her. He signed over all rights to her, but we get on just fine without him and I think I’m doing good. I just wish she’d get over being shy.”

“Savannah looks like she could help with that.” James said laughing as the two girls giggled about something. For the next two hours they sat and talked and the kids made plans to play on the playground the next day at school. As they were leaving Jami smiled at him and he waved bye to her.

“I think I have a new friend daddy.”

“Good for you sweetie, c’mon we have to get you in bed before your mom calls to check up on you.”

“Okay.”

The next day at school on the playground at mid morning recess Savannah introduced Christa to her friends and they all welcomed her with open arms. It was a great thing that night when Christa got home and told her mom that she had a bunch of new friends and that they seemed to like her. Which was what she had been worried about.

“Sweetie, just because your daddy told you he didn’t care, doesn’t mean everyone is going to be like that.” Jami told her daughter as Salina walked in. Salina looked around and was shell shocked.

“Hey wow what happened here, we hit the jackpot and hire a cleaner?”

“No, I cleaned while you were at work. Can you cool it with the mess? Or at least contain it to your room?”

“Yeah”

“And ask before borrowing my clothes.”

“Sure.”

“Alright, well I have to go, it’s Monday me and Jacey have to close the library down at eleven so I’m gonna be home late. There’s some kind of event there tonight and why in the hell they’re using a library for a band thing I will never know.”

“Because the wife of one of the said band members works there.” Salina said.

“Wait back up what band?”

“Burn Halo”

“Mommy can I come? Maybe Savannah will be there.” Wow her daughter had heard more of the conversation last night than she thought that she had.

“I’ll call and ask hang on.” and Jami picked up the phone and called James. When he said he would call Jacey and find out for her she thanked him. He called back five minutes later.

“Hey Jace said she’d bring her in with her.”

“Okay then I guess Christa gets to see her friend.”

“Does this mean I get to see you?” James asked biting his lip wondering if she would take it how it had been meant to be taken.

“Well yeah I kinda work tonight, but I do get two breaks.” She took it the way he wanted her too. She bit her lip as she smiled.

“See ya in a lil bit then Jami.”

“Yeah see ya in a lil bit James.” And she hung up the phone and waited a few more minutes for Christa to quickly change out of her school clothes into something that wasn’t covered in dirt. Which was unusual for Christa, but when you actually played on the playground with other kids, you got dirty. Thirty minutes later they walked into the library and despite the fact that it was a library the two kids yelled to one another.

“CHRISTA”

“VANNAH” and a moment later they were hugging. A group of girls welcomed her as well and Jami watched as her daughter ran over to ask if she could go upstairs to the kids section for the movie with the other girls. When Jami nodded she hugged her mom and took off.

“So…” Jacey said looking at her.

“Hi…” It was semi awkward between them suddenly when they had gotten along for the past year and a half.

“You knew James in school?”

“Yeah, he actually saved my ass from getting beat up several times and defended me when others wouldn’t. Your girls a life saver. This morning when she left for school the only reason she was friends with Savannah was because James brought her with him Sunday night. And now she has a whole group of friends.”

“Yeah she’s pretty special.”

“Aunt Jacey… did Savannah come?” Kaylee said running up to her.

“Upstairs with all your friends from school.”

“Even Christa?” Kaylee asked her eyes lighting up.

“Yeah even Christa.” Jacey said.

“Wow what was that about?” Matt said walking over.

“I have no clue.” Jacey and Jami said at the same time looking at one another.

“I can answer that.” they turned and looked at the brunette that walked up and Matt wrapped his arms around.

“How?”

“She said something to Kay about her daddy not wanting her and well Kay’s dad didn’t want her either, and I think the two have bonded a little over that.”

“Oh, I’m gonna take it you’re her mom.”

“Yeah, I’m Jessica Sanders, this is my husband Matt, Kaylee’s my nine year old.”

“Our nine year old.” Matt said correcting his wife. She smiled.

“Sorry, my bad, OUR nine year old.” She said rolling her eyes at Matt. Sometimes it still amazed her that he had adopted her. Which had been easy since Nick had given up all rights to her when she had been born.

“Jamison Montoya, Jami for short, Christa’s mine.”

“Nice to meet you.” Jess said and hugged the other woman. A two year old was suddenly pulling on Jess’s pants. She glanced down and smiled as she picked her son up.

“Is Aaron bringing the twins?”

“I think so. That or Chrys is babysitting, well we gotta get to work, so we’ll see you guys later, do me a favor and keep an eye on the kids upstairs watching Cinderella in the kids room. Since ya’ll are most likely just gonna wonder around for a while. And I think unfortunately the Hannah Montana movie is up there for when that one finishes since at least three of the girls are gonna be hear a while.”

“Sure Jace, no problem. C’mon Matt let’s go check on Kaylee. And we‘ll change the movie when Cinderella‘s over.” And she handed her son off to her husband and he took her hand as they walked in the direction of the kids room upstairs. Aaron kissed his wife on the cheek and smiled at Jami as he walked away to go wait on the rest of the band. He glanced at James as he walked up to him.

“So Jami Montoya has a daughter…”

“How’d you meet Jami? She here already?” James asked and Aaron smirked.

“Yeah you might check the front desk before the signing.”

“Okay why the hell are you smirking?” James asked his friend.

“She’s cute, no wonder you hung with her in high school.”

“Okay first of all that had nothing to do with it. She didn’t used to wear clothes like that.”

“What she wear?”

“She was a geek in high school. She loved books, and was a straight A student, everyone made fun of her because she wore baggy shirts and even when she wore jeans that hugged her body, you couldn’t tell because of her hoodies, or the shirts she wore. She was my friend alright just shut up.” Yet there was the underlying I was too afraid to ask her out, laying behind what he said.

“You liked her in high school.”

“Shut up Aaron or I’m telling Jacey what you got her for her birthday.”

“You wouldn’t”

“I’m a jack ass remember.”

“Okay alright I take that back, and I said that two years ago won’t you let it go?”

“I have but you’re annoying me at the moment.”

“Whatever, just hurry up signing starts in about thirty.”

“I know.” James walked inside and smiled when he saw Jami. Jacey was helping someone in an aisle of books about two feet away glanced up and maneuvered herself to see how the two interacted. She watched as James walked up and as Jami smiled at him.

“Hey”

“Hey, so I take it from the phone call I got earlier that Savannah and Christa got along at school today?”

“They did and thanks to her Christa is interacting with all the girls in her class. She’s upstairs watching Cinderella with the other kids that came in tonight.”

“So I was wondering if maybe we could talk Savannah into asking Jacey if Christa could spend the night Friday and maybe you and I could go out.”

“Are you asking me on a date?” Jami asked smiling.

“Yeah, I am.” He refrained from biting his lip and waited hoping the answer was yes.

“I’m betting we can…what in the world.” Jami was cut off as three girls ran downstairs. Savannah was leading them. James and Jami watched as they ran up to Jacey.

“MOMMY MOMMY!” Jacey glanced at her daughter and the woman she was helping laughed as Jacey shushed her daughter.

“Indoor voice Vannah, what’s wrong?”

“Nothing mommy, can Kaylee and Christa spend the night this Friday if you and Daddy Aaron don’t care?” Jacey glanced in James and Jami’s direction as they started laughing.

“You’ll have to ask their parents sweetie, but that’s fine with me.” Jacey said ignoring the two at the desk. Figuring that they were just flirting or something or laughing at something that had happened in school.

“Guess that solves that.” Jami said trying to get her laughter under control as her daughter ran to her.

“Hi James, mommy can I spend the night at Savannahs Friday?”

“Sure sweetie.” Jami said and Christa ran around the desk and hugged her. They watched as Savannah and Kaylee hugged her and then the trio darted off to find Jessica.

“She has friends.” Jami said and started to cry but there was a smile on her face.

“You’ll get used to it.” James said laughing. She smiled, she hadn’t heard him laugh like that since high school.

“Oh god, it’s her first night spending it away from home.”

“You gonna be okay?” James asked

“Yeah I’m just happy that’s all. I guess I kinda owe it to you.”

“No, you owe it to Vannah.” James said, he didn’t want her owing him anything.

“Well looks like we don’t need to con the nine year olds into asking anyone anything.” Jami said as she dried the tears of joy from her face.

“No, we don’t. Hey I have to go, but I’ll see you before I leave right?”

“Yeah.”

“Okay.” She walked around the desk and gave him a hug and when they pulled apart Jacey walked over raising an eyebrow at her.

“What?” Jami said grinning.

“What was with the tears?”

“Christa’s first night away from home.”

“Really?”

“Yeah”

“Ten to one you’ll leave your cell phone on, and sit by the phone the whole night waiting for her to call. That’s what I did.” Jami laughed.

“Maybe” should she tell her that she was going to be on a date with her ex-husband?

“Hey gimme your number so I can just go ahead and put it in my phone, and then call you so you have mine.”

“Okay” as the two of them exchanged numbers like good mothers Aaron was outside teasing James.

“Okay, c’mon seriously Aaron shut up.”

“No, you like her you should ask her out.”

“Okay seriously now you’re getting on our nerves. I swear the two of you are all drama sometimes.” Joey said and the others rolled their eyes.

“He started it.”

“And last time you started it James.” Joey responded but they did laugh at that one. That night once the signing was over the guys all said they would see each other the next day at the studio where they were currently recording a new album. Aaron and James walked inside and Jacey pointed to a chair and Aaron nodded and picked up Savannah as Jami asked James if he would help her with Christa. James picked her up and followed the woman out of the building and waited for her and Jacey to lock the building and then followed Jami to her car which was apparently beside Jacey’s. Jami unlocked the car and he got Christa in the car and in her seat belt for Jami. When he closed the back car door gently he turned to Jami. Jacey was getting in her car and taking her time about it.

“So I’ll see you Friday night then?”

“Yeah definitely.”

“Uhm there’s this restaurant that I know in LA that I’d like to take you too.” James said.

“Okay.”

“It’s casual so you don’t have to dress up, but I figured we could eat and then see what we could find to do in LA, maybe a club or something.”

“Alright, what time should I be ready?”

“Seven?”

“It’s a date James.” and she stood on tip toe and kissed him on the cheek. He grinned and watched as she got in her car and then pulled out of her parking space. James pulled his car keys out of his pocket and headed in the direction of his car.

“I knew it.” Jacey said loud enough for him to hear her. He turned and looked at her and grinned as he then turned and walked to his car. Jacey got home and Aaron was waiting for her on the front porch.

“What took you so long?”

“Lock yourself out again?”

“No waiting on my wife. Chrys dropped the twins off already and their upstairs in bed.”

“I was eavesdropping if you must know. Take Vannah upstairs please baby.”

“On who babe?” Aaron asked as he got his step daughter and carried her inside. Jacey waited until they were in their room before speaking again.

“James and Jami”

“Jacey,” Aaron said grinning and then leaned down to kiss his wife. “You are amazing, what they say?”

“Friday he’s taking her to LA for dinner and clubbing.”

“A date?”

“Yes”

“They actually called it a date?”

“Yes they did.”

“Oh I am so gonna tease him.”

“I know. So am I. Makes me wonder if the idea came to them before or after Savannah asked if Kaylee and Christa could spend the night.”

“Wait who’s spending the night?”

“Christa and Kaylee. Friday.”

“Do you think they asked the kids too…?”

“They wouldn’t have had a chance. They were in my eyesight the whole time they were at the desk.”

“Maybe Savannah has telepathic powers.” Aaron said laughing as he wrapped an arm around his wife.

“Or maybe Jess and Matt talked them into it seeing as Friday’s their two year wedding anniversary.” Jacey said before Aaron leaned down and kissed her gently. When they pulled apart Aaron stripped his wife down and she grinned as she did the same to him. She smirked as she joined him on the bed.

James was pacing his living room nervously waiting for the clock to be close enough to seven for him to leave. He couldn’t believe that this was happening tonight. He had wanted her to go out with him in high school, but had been too nervous to ask and now that she had walked back into his life he had shoved the nerves aside and asked her. When the clock said six thirty he started locking the door and moving to the car. He got to her place at exactly seven. He knocked on the door and when she answered he did everything in his power to keep his jaw from hitting the floor. She was standing in front of him in a pair of black denim low rise jeans, a yellow cami top and her hair was down around her shoulders. She was also wearing heels. She smiled at him and he was happy to see that if she had make up on you couldn’t tell. She stepped outside and closed the door to her apartment and took the hand he offered and followed him to his car. She was nervous. It had been a long time since she had been to LA. She watched out the window as they drove and smiled as he reached over and took her hand in his. She was glad that he couldn’t see her face because she suddenly felt just a teeny bit shy. But then again she had liked him in high school and never really quit liking him.

“Want to listen to the radio or a CD?”

“CD, no commercials.” She said quietly and he let go of her hand when they reached a stop light and pulled out the stack of CD’s from the center console and handed them to her. She shook her head when she looked at a few of them.

“Okay not all of those are mine.”

“Savannah?”

“Who else. She loves that pop type stuff.”

“No luck getting her to like something else?”

“No, I’ve tried. She’ll listen to other stuff, but she loves Hannah Montana.”

“Well at least some of these seem to be yours. Here lets listen to this one.” She handed him on of the CD’s and he popped it in as the light turned green. She glanced at the CD player controls and back to the case in her hand. She searched for number ten and smiled as Slow Burn by Atreyu began to play. James smirked, he knew what CD she had picked. He glanced sideways as she started singing along with it.

“Atreyu fan?” He asked

“Love ‘Em, I even prefer their cover of You Give Love A Bad Name to the original by Bon Jovi.”

“It’s a great cover. A lot of people don’t like it though.”

“Because they made it their own, so who cares it’s still amazing.”

“What happened to the book worm I knew in high school, where’d all the music knowledge come from?”

“I listened to music in high school, I just didn’t talk about it. And besides I’m a music freak. If it’s got a good beat or great lyrics I like it. It’s better when it has both.”

“Okay, what else do you listen to?” James asked as they hit the LA exit and Motley Crue began playing. He hoped the two Eighteen Visions songs that were on the CD didn’t play while they were in the car.

“Guns N’ Roses, Kill Hannah, Paramore, Avenged Sevenfold, Hinder, Three Days Grace, Motley Crue, Escape The Fate, Eighteen Visions…” She trialed off realizing what she had just said and glanced out the window.

“Anything else, that’s a long list.” He didn’t say anything about the Eighteen Visions thing seeing as she had suddenly shied about it.

“Too many to list.” She said as he pulled into a parking space at the restaurant. They got out and walked in. When they left the place an hour later they were hand in hand and headed to a club. They walked in and James rolled his eyes when he saw Matt and Jessica were there.

“Ignore them or join them?” James asked as they walked to the bar.

“They’re bound to notice us sooner or later.”

“Shot to start off with or what?”

“Double shot of Crown.”

“My kind of woman, my god, a woman that shoots back straight crown.”

“You’d be surprised.” She said grinning. He smirked and shot back his double shot of Crown at the same time that she did. He ordered a beer and so did she and they made their way over to where Jessica and Matt were. James smirked at Jami and held a finger to his lips and she nodded. He walked up behind them reached between them and slammed his beer onto the table. They both jumped and turned to face him.

“Jack Ass” Matt muttered as Jessica and him both grabbed at the napkins that were on the table and wiped up the beer that James had spilt slamming his drink down in front of them.

“Why must everyone call me that?” James asked smirking as he and Jami joined the two. Jessica rolled her eyes as James pulled the woman to sit on his lap. Jami grinned and sipped her beer as he pulled his over in front of him.

“Because when you do stupid shit like that you are.”

“Gah first Aaron, now you Matt.” James said laughing.

“Hey actually remember that one kid that always called you an ass in high school, cause you would spoil all their fun when they tried to make fun of me?”

“Oh yeah that’s right so Aaron wasn’t the first one to call me a jack ass.” Jessica shook her head and they all glanced toward the DJ as Dirty Little Girl began to play. James bit his lip and Matt watched Jami for a minute.

“I know its one of yours but wanna dance?” She asked James. James grinned and whispered something to her and she smirked as she stood and they made their way to the dance floor. Matt pulled Jessica up with him when he got up and they hit the dance floor too.

The next morning James woke up with a head on his shoulder and smiled somewhat. He felt her stir and when she lifted her head from his chest she smiled sleepily at him. He pulled her closer and tipped her face toward him placing a kiss on her lips.

“Morning.” They said at the same time. She stretched and he smiled. So what if he hadn’t gotten laid last night he had still gotten to hold her, wake up beside her. He trusted himself to get home, but not to her place and then to his so she had said she’d spend the night. He hadn’t made her sleep on the couch either. She was wearing one of his shirts so that she hadn’t had to sleep in her jeans and shirt. She was about to rest her head on back on his chest when she looked at the clock. It was eleven in the morning.

“Oh shit, I’m late for work.”

“How late?” James asked glancing at the clock.

“I was supposed to be there at ten. Will you let me borrow a shirt and take me straight to work?”

“Yeah, not a problem.” James watched as she pulled on a shirt that he pulled out of his drawer and she pulled the all white t-shirt over her head and grabbed an extra hair tie from her purse so she could tie it back so that it looked like it actually fit her. He stopped her though. “It looks better baggy…”

“Really?” She asked stopping what she was doing and turning to look at him. He nodded and she grinned. She wondered if he had liked her in high school too. She had her jeans on already and was slipping into her black high heeled sandals a moment later when he told her to sit and he combed her hair with the comb she had pulled out of her purse. He pulled it pack in the hair tie she was gonna tie the shirt back with. She rolled her eyes at him in the mirror. When he was done however, he leaned down kissed her lips, instead of the top of her head like he did with Savannah when he had to pull her hair back for her. They were out of the house a moment later and when she got to work and walked in Jacey shook her head at her.

“Really now, the walk of shame actually happening at work. I think that’s a first.”

“Walk of shame my ass, only if I got laid…, which I didn’t, he was just a lil too drunk to drive me home.”

“Which is why you’re wearing his shirt, your low-rider’s and your heels from last night right?”

“Yeah”

“Oh my god he’s in love with you.”

“What?”

“He took you out, according to Matt and Jess who ya’ll ran into out celebrating their anniversary, he treated you like you were the only woman in the world. And then he takes you home, shares a bed with you but doesn’t have sex with you. That’s love sweetie.”

“How do you know I slept in his bed?”

“Because even though he’s an ass sometimes, he’s not mean enough to make the woman he’s falling in love with, or is in love with sleep on the couch.”

“Did he ever love you?”

“For a time, but I think he always loved someone else, which is why he never really fully loved me. To be honest with you, I think you were that someone else.”

“What makes you say that?” Jami asked. James who had come in to use the bathroom stopped just beside a book shelf and even though he shouldn’t have he listened to Jacey’s response. He wanted to know how she knew.

“When he got that first phone call from you it was after he had told me that he ran into an old friend at the store and he had this far away look in his eyes. And when you called he not only had to get his phone away from Aaron I think he moved away from everyone to talk to you, but we kinda followed him. Then I guess the other day Aaron was teasing him about asking you out and he actually looked liked he was blushing.” James began thinking, as she spoke. He had loved Jacey hadn’t he. At least somehow. Maybe she was right his heart had always belonged to that brown haired brown eyed girl in high school that now stood talking to his ex-wife wearing one of his shirts. He smiled, yeah sure he still cared about but he cared about her like he would his one of his friends.

“Really?” Jami asked she had a smile on her face as she made her way around the desk to help check in the multitude of books that had apparently come in that morning.

“Really.” Jacey said. James quietly walked backwards to the bathroom and then made sure he walked normally so that they could hear him approach. He acted like he hadn’t heard any of the conversation.

“Hey, what time do I need to pick you up?” He asked Jami.

“Uhm we clock out at four.” Jami said smiling at him.

“Okay, I’ll see you then.”

“Okay” and she walked around the desk and kissed him gently before carrying a stack of books upstairs. James turned to Jacey.

“Can I help you with something?”

“Can you keep Savannah tonight? And I don’t care if you have to lie, but tell Jami that Vannah wants Christa to spend the night again…”

“Not a problem, I see where this is going. She’s a nice woman, I hope this time it’s real James. And by the way next time you eavesdrop, make sure one of the women isn’t pregnant and can smell the soap you use.”

“Got it, thanks Jace, sorry that I hurt you.” James said as he turned and walked away. Jacey stood there for a minute staring after him. Had he just seriously said that. She glanced upstairs and smiled. Yeah it was Jami he was in love with. He had found what he was looking for. And Jacey was happy for him, she really was.

That night when he went to pick Jami up he smiled at her. He had called Jess and she had gone with him to pick up clothes for Christa and Jess told Jami’s room mate that Jami had wanted a change of clothes for when she got off work because she had a date that night and wouldn’t be able to change. Salina hadn’t asked questions and let Jess find something for Jami to wear. He took Jami’s hand and they walked together to the car. Jacey shook her head as she got behind the wheel of her car. She suddenly wanted her husband. She was going home to the man that she loved and who loved her.

“I figured I would cook you dinner tonight if that’s okay with you.” James said as he pulled out in the direction of his house.

“Well that’s fine, since I guess Christa is staying at Jacey and Aaron’s again.”

“Yeah I was supposed to have Vannah tonight, but when Aaron called Jacey and told her that Savannah wanted Christa to spend the night again, Jacey said she’d watch them tonight, and she told me when I got to the library to drop you off this morning.”

“Oh, so you’re cooking me dinner, what is it?”

“A surprise.” and he seriously hoped that he had made it right, he had gotten the recipe from Jacey.

“Really?” She said turning to face him in her seat. She had already slid her heels off. When they got to his house and they got out she didn’t even bother to put them back on. She walked barefoot to the front door beside him and when she walked in behind him she stopped dead in her tracks. The house smelled great. He had something cooking in the oven and she noticed that a few candles were lit on the mantel and the table. She smiled when he walked to the basement door and let the dog out of the basement. He had left candles burning for the ten minutes that he had been gone and thankfully had remembered to put the dog downstairs. James glanced back at Jami as she dropped her shoes next to the front door and followed him in, bending down to pet the dog. He smiled, and this time he had things planned out. He had even managed to get the time Jami had to be at work tomorrow out of Jacey and had already set the alarm clock in case she spent the night. Which he was hoping that she would. He heard a timer ding and walked into the kitchen and she followed him. He took the dish out of the oven and set it on the stove and poured them each a glass of red wine. She took hers and sat at the table as he pulled a chair out for her.

After they ate they went into the living room and sat down talking. Jami stopped him about twenty minutes later from what he had been saying because she had come up with her own plan on how tonight was gonna go when they were on the way here and he told her that he had cooked her dinner. Now she would find out if Aaron had done it later, but she really didn’t give a shit, it was the though that counted. She moved to him and placed her mouth close to his ear.

“I love you James.” he grinned as he pulled her onto his lap.

“I love you Jamison.” He replied back, then kissed her. She pulled away and he pulled his shirt over her head and she smiled as a few moments later they somehow found themselves upstairs naked and in his bed.

xoxox

Jami was grinning from ear to ear as James wrapped his arms around her. They had waited until after the baby was born to get married and now here they stood now husband and wife. They turned to face their friends and Jacey handed Stephan to her. She smiled down at her son and Savannah and Christa joined them and they had their first family picture taken. Jacey smiled, she knew that James had found what he had always wanted. He now had not only a daughter, but a son as well as Christa who he had adopted, which had thankfully been legalized a week ago. She herself glanced over at the child that Aaron had cuddled close. She was only about three months older than Stephan, who for some reason, Jami and James had asked her and Aaron to be the god parents of. They all smiled as once more James kissed Jami. When they pulled apart there was a radiant smile on the brides face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well it took about four days to come up with this, but I definitely love it. I just felt the need to write a One Shot and I decided that James needed a happy ending so I wrote this sequel to Is It Too Late To Tell You. Hope you enjoyed this as much as the original. Loves, Hugs, Kisses, && of course… Death Bats - Jessi