All of These Clouds Are Following Me

He's determined to call her bluff...

Her long, dark auburn hair blew around her beautiful face in the wind. A light rain was hanging around, leaving small droplets hanging on her hair and face. She ran her hand through her hair and pushed it back out of her face. The rain was soaking her shirt, causing it to cling to her in the most attractive way. Even so, it wasn't easy to look away from her breath-taking green eyes. As usual, Lacey was standing in the middle of the road. When it was raining she usually did.

Even though his breath was fogging up the glass, Hayden couldn't take his eyes off of her. It was best that he stared from a distance. Lacey didn't enjoy company when it was raining.

Actually, come to think of it, she didn't enjoy company much at all. His company in particular seemed to drive her to a bitter attitude. Not that the attitude she always had was far from bitter. With him, everything was different. He made her question the philosophies she had set for herself when she was young.

After awhile, when the rain stopped, Lacey returned inside. Hayden left the window sill and lit up a cigarette.

I’m going to ask her to marry me…

He smiled to himself.

------

Using his car as support, Hayden was standing in his driveway, smoking. His eyes were at the house across the street, hoping that Lacey would come outside. He stared at the sky. It was a bright, bright blue, but the clouds in it were grey.

Eventually, on his third cigarette she came out. He threw up his hand and smiled. She waved too and crossed the street.

"Hello," Hayden said, as she approached. The butterflies were over-whelming.

"Your shoe is untied," Lacey said.

Hayden looked at his feet. So his shoe was untied. "Thanks..."

"Yeah."

Their conversations were always awkward. It didn't use to be this way. They use to talk all the time and make-out... Then, he told her he loved her and she left him there.

"What are you doing these days?" Hayden questioned.

"Nothing at all," Lacey said, "just waiting..."

"Waiting?"

"To die."

"Stop being like that," Hayden said.

"Why?"

"If I tell you why, you'll stop talking to me."

She crossed her arms.

------

Somehow, through all the awkwardness, it happened again. Lacey was lying next to Hayden, but it wasn't the way you would imagine it. She was curled up away from him. He was on his back, staring at the ceiling.

"Why don't you like the rain?" Hayden asked.

"I...just don't," Lacey replied.

"I don't like the rain much either. It's so gloomy...and it makes me think," he added, hoping that his small explanation would make her open up. But she never did. She stayed silent.

When he woke in the morning, she wasn't beside him. An odd sinking feeling filled him up.

------

Days passed and there was no sign of Lacey. Even when it rained, she didn't come outside to stand in the road, waiting to be hit, like she usually did. Hopelessly, Hayden stared out the foggy window.

I haven’t been sober for days…

He stood outside quite often, waiting for her to come outside. She never did.

The neighbor to his left, came outside to her car.

“Mrs. Johnson,” Hayden called, “you haven’t seen Lacey lately have you? I don‘t mean to be a bother…”

The woman shook her head, “It’s been oddly quiet over there.”

Hayden sighed to himself, “Thanks.”

Patiently, he watched the house across the street. The rain started to come down. For awhile he waited, until he was cold and entirely drenched.

It’s starting to all makes sense. All of these clouds are following me...

He fell to his knees and buried his face in his hands.

------

Hayden found himself unable to leave the window, even during the night. She was invading his dreams every night since he saw her last.

After lighting a cigarette, he made his way down the stairs, out the door, and across the road. Whenever they ended up together, it always had to be this way. he had to go talk to her first. No matter how awkward and nervous it made him, after all these years.

Soaked with rain, Hayden knocked on the door.

He stood there for minutes before pounding on the door.

Still, nothing.

He sighed and reached for the knob. The door was unlocked.

"Lacey!" he called.

No response. But on the table, there was a note.

The world keeps going with or without me.
I'm afraid to feel.
I can’t even write down the way I feel.
The only thing that keeps me alive scares me.
I can't take this.
I'm sorry.


Hayden left the house, the note where it was…

“I guess I’ll go home now.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I took pieces of the song.