Hung From a Halo

Attitude

Beth snores. Holy fuck…she has a cold. Great. I lay awake in my bed but kept my eyes closed; I was being lazy. We went to bed about three hours ago, but Beth was having a hard time getting to sleep. Either she was moaning or tossing and turning. No matter what she did the thought of making her sleep out in the hallway still lingered. I opened my eyes and sat up while pulling the heavy blankets over my body. The room was dark, but the pouring rain and howling wind of the February storm gave life. My eyes searched every crack and corner to see if anything of interest hid within it. Nothing ever caught my eye.

“No…” Beth breathed swatting something away from her face gently.

“Beth?”

“Daddy…”her bottom lip quivered.

“Baby girl? Are you awake?”

“Saul…”

“Ssh…” I whispered stroking her hair away from her face. She must be dreaming.

She sniffed and furrowed her eyebrows, “Be good to mama, Saul….Ssss….aul….be good to Ali.” She fell limp and her face was expressionless. Her dream ended.

A loud thunderous knock came to my door, in the most unpleasant manner. I shot out of bed immediately to answer. Swinging the door open I came face to face with Botis, “What is it?” I breathed.

“An emergency. All Guardians and Masters are to report to the library. Now!” he commanded with serious riding his eyes.

“I can’t leave Beth alone.”

He waved his hand as if to shove my comment away, “Ashley will stay with her.”

Ashley walked into my room when she rounded the corner of the hallway almost on cue. She smiled at me and rubbed my shoulder, “Don’t worry.”

Botis grabbed my arm and tugged me down the corridor. Creatures were moving about at such a late hour that it made me feel that this was something drastic. Something must have horrible must have happened. I tried to pull down my neon blue leopard tank that was riding up, but it never seized to stop leaving my stomach bare. It seemed as if no one cared. They were too occupied with asking everyone they could about what the hell is going on. I, however, kept my mouth shut; I was bound to find out sooner or later. Botis lead me down at least a dozen hallways and up four flights of stairs before we came to a very large but crowded library. He dropped me off right next to Master Ligdin, who was busy trying to calm everyone down. My eyes gazed over every creature’s head. The pool of bodies was sick. They moved with such fiery flicks. Bobbed in a troubling seasick mood. Plastering anger and confusion over their cheeks. I found this rather funny; I was the only female in this room, and one hundred or so men surrounded me. Heaven? No, heaven included only one man, and he was in this room, next to Botis, with one of the saddest eyes I’ve ever seen.

Shame on you. No more of him.

I can’t help it.

I know you can…just do it.

“Gentlemen!” Master Ligdin roared over the crowd. Someone cleared their throat when all fell silent. He turned to me and smiled apologetically, “And lady.”

I nodded to accept his apology and then looked out to the men again.

“I’m terribly sorry to bother you in your slumber, but we have received garish news…” he trailed off deepening the tension in the room.

What is it old man?!?!?!

Respect him.

I wanna know what it is though!

Would you shut up?

“The Fallen only has one true prisoner left. Master Alinx would still be one if it weren’t for Guardian Saul, but now the one she cares for is in the tracks of Death. Kirra, has struck again. I know we simply can’t destroy her; for that would take a suicidal mission and we’d lose, but we need to somehow barricade her from Master Alinx’s and Saul’s little one, Beth.”

My eyes went from Master Ligdin’s profile and instantly clicked with Saul’s gaze. What the hell is he smirking for?

Don’t ask me.

I was asking myself thank you very much.

Pay attention.

Saul held me for a moment, just one I swear. Okay two! But I knew that if I would’ve stared down into those silver eyes he would have thought that I was a crazy stalker person!

Not that I’m rooting you on to fight for Saul, but he was staring at you first.

Can you not?

Not what?

Just, let me be. Sheesh. Pay attention!

Saul chuckled and turned his direction back up to Master Ligdin, but he did shoot me one final glance. I don’t think he noticed, but I did see it out of the corner of my eye. That foolish sucker. Ha!

Master Ligdin went on, “We need to slow down Kirra so that she doesn’t become so powerful that she’ll start murdering non-Fallens. I trust Guardian Saul to save Beth and any other new Fallen. But, my children, remember this; if she cannot feast on The Fallen then she will turn to your fellow brothers.” He bowed his head and left out the back door of the library.

The room was silent. Panic stricken. Shockingly aware of the danger right at our toes. My only instinct was to run to Beth. To save her. A little whisper broke into a large group discussion, and everyone was talking about the events of tonight. Men are so funny when it comes to saving girls. Oh, they are priceless. I put away my fear of being trampled in the mob and dived right in to find Botis, but he found me.

“Ready to go back to bed?” Botis’s voice came from behind me as his hand fell onto my shoulder.

I turned around and smiled up at him, but He killed it. Stupid Saul. Go away! “I’m ready to go back to bed. Saul, go away.”

He furrowed his eyebrows and then cocked one, “Why? Got a hot date or something?”

“Boy, don’t you even start with me.”

Botis stood between us, “Okay you two, time to say nightie night t each other.”

“No, no Botis. Miss Aaliyah has something to share. What was it now?” Saul batted his eyelashes PRETENDING to be interested in what I had to say.

Don’t throw out your attitude.

Too late! “I have so much to say to you! Anything I say will make you cry. You are stubborn, mean, nasty, backstabbing, a liar, a cheat, failure, and such a terrible horrible m-monster!”

I studied his face for a change in his expression, but nothing seemed to hit him, “I don’t feel a build of tears. Gonna have to try harder than that.” He smirked.

I could feel the anger rise within my torso, “AAAAHHHH!!!!” I screamed and marched out of the library stomping my feet, but turned around to tell him just one last thing, “Stay away from Beth.”

Hey, you hit one!

Saul’s face went from amused to instant sorrow. He let his head fall and he peered up to me through his eyelashes. He nodded.

Ouch.

Shush.

Owie.

Shut up!

Oh c’mon, that was harsh. Taking away Beth and all. I mean, he HAS to protect her.

No.

Be reasonable.

Would you zip it? Gosh, people might think I’m crazy if I’m talking to a voice in my head.

Fucktard, you are one hell of a crazy ass bitch. Ain’t no lie.
♠ ♠ ♠
comments please :))))