Don't Worry, I'll Save You

Cassi: I hate my life.

I jumped off the bus, my gold hair bouncing as I did so. I stepped onto the gravel of my driveway and looked up, realizing for the first time that there was a white SUV parked in the extra space by my moms car. I walked up to the door quietly and heard my mom speaking from inside.

“I just don’t know what to do!” She was saying, her voice shaking, as if she’d been crying.
“I have no problem taking her with me. She can stay for a year, and maybe she’ll get better. Maybe she’ll realize how much this is hurting you.” An unfamiliar voice was saying steadily. What the fuck?
“Oh. My baby! That…” Now my mom was diffidently sobbing. I didn’t want to walk in on that, so I waited until the muffled sobs stopped, and walked inside.

My parents and a lady I didn’t recognize were sitting in my living room, my mom and dad on the couch, the mystery lady on the chair.
“Cassie…” My mom began slowly.
“What’s this? What’s going on? Have you been crying?” I was actually starting to get worried. Who died?
“Honey…” My dad began, but I could see the pain in his face that was keeping him from going on.
“I’m your aunt Mary.” The mystery lady stood up and walked over to me, she gave me a gentle hug. She was slender, and had blonde hair like me and my mother. I could diffidently see the resemblance.

I hugged her back a little. It was a bit uncomfortable, seeming as how I didn’t know that woman. She smelled like vanilla. I smelled like cigarettes. I was hoping they couldn’t tell.
“What’s going on?” I repeated.
“You’re father and I…” My mom began slowly. “We love you very much.” She said, trying hard not to cry.
“But we think it’d be best,” My father took over, my mother unable to say anything, “if you go stay with your Aunt for a while.” My mom started crying. My dad held her.
“What?!?!” I said, shock spread my face. “Why?!”

“Honey, it’s for the best!” My aunt re-assured me.
“How do you know what’s best for me!? You don’t even fucking know me!” I hissed to her. She didn’t even flinch.
“Come here young lady.” She took my arm and dragged me outside. Once we stepped out into the sunlight, she sat me down in the steps. I let her, too shocked and hurt to care.
“Can’t you see this is hurting your parents. Your partying. Using drugs? Drinking?” She said, not mad, rather disappointed. I bowed my head. I had thought of that before, but it’s not something I was likely to admit. She sat down by me now, her arm around my shoulders.
“They want you to stay with me, just for a while, till you’re back on track. They only want what’s best for you.” She said tenderly.
“How will being away from here help me with that?” I asked harshly.
“Well,” She started. “Your parents can’t stand to see you unhappy, no parent does, but I will be keeping a close eye on you. Enforcing rules is something I do best.” she stated matter-of-factly.

I sighed. “This is so unfair.” A tear rolled down my eyes. “They want me to make new friends, get god grades, but yet, they’re moving me in the middle of the school year?”
“I’ll help you. I have money for tutors, whatever you will need. Like I said, it’ll be just until you get back on track.”
“I don’t have a choice do I?” I asked, looking at the grass.
“No.” She said, stood up, and went inside.

It’s not like I did horrible drugs, just pot. Everyone does that. I didn’t drink all that much, and my grades were fine. Well, I could do better if I wanted to. I sighed and stomped inside to pack.

The world’s so unfair.

I hate my job, all of my rich friends
I hate everyone to the bitter end.
Nothing turns out right There's no end in sight
I hate my life!
♠ ♠ ♠
SONG USED IN THIS CHAPTER
"Hate My Life" by Theory Of A Dead Man