Blood Is Thicker Than the Wall You Helped Me Build

One-shot

Five o’clock rush hour was possibly the thing Bob hated the most, even more than cameras or the way Frankie laughed when he was high. It kept him away from Gerard. He glared angrily at the seemingly endless row of cars in front of him and wished he were home, in the nice little flat he owned with his boyfriend, far away from the chaos of downtown New Jersey.

A few agonizingly long minutes later, his cell phone buzzed in his pocket. He pulled it out and smiled at the screen flashing ‘Gee’.

“Hello?”

“Hey Bob. Still in traffic?”

He sighed. “Yeah…. What’re you doing?”

“Nothing really. Mikey is driving me to ShopRite. Going to get groceries and maybe some beer. And I’m missing you.”

Bob felt his face flush and couldn’t suppress the tiny smile curling his lips. There was a pause in the conversation, and he heard music playing on the other line. It was “Candy Shop” by 50 Cent. He laughed. “Gee what the hell are you listening to?”

“Candy Shop, duh.” Gerard giggled and started to sing along.

“Wow. Poor Mikey, you must be driving him nuts.”

Gerard continued singing and gave his phone to Mikey, who took it. “He is, Bob. Jesus Christ, this is the eighth time I’ve heard this song since we left. He’s obsessed.” Gerard mumbled something that Bob couldn’t hear. “Oh shut up Gee-tard, we all know it’s because you want to take Bob to the candy shop. You pervert!” Gerard hit his brother over the head and stole the phone back.

“Wow Gee,” Bob said between bursts of laughter.

“Mikey is a monkeyfucker, don’t listen to him. I have to go make sure he doesn’t crash the car. Bye!”

Bob clicked the phone shut and placed it in his pocket, laughing to himself and driving along now that traffic was clearing.

It was almost half past nine when Gerard came home. Bob was sitting on the couch playing Xbox.

“Hey, what took you so long?” he said playfully, ignoring the nagging voice in his head telling him to be worried.

“Oh, I stayed at Mikey’s for a bit.” He placed the two bags of food and the 12-pack of beer on the counter, and Bob stood up to help him put the stuff away. It was awkwardly quiet as Gerard kept his face blank and Bob suppressed the suspicions rising within him.

Gerard yawned loudly when they were finished. “I’m gonna go take a shower and go to bed. I’m tired as hell.” He gave Bob a quick kiss and walked down the hallway. Suddenly he stopped and turned on his heels, revealing a devilish smirk. “Unless…. You’d care to join me?”

Bob’s eyes widened at the question and he eagerly followed Gerard. Once they were both in the bathroom, Gerard began to kiss Bob passionately and playfully strip them both.

In the hallway stood a young man, dressed in black except for white latex gloves, who slowly broke open the lock on the front door and entered as quietly as he could. He crept around the living room, studying his surroundings, and heard only the sound of his heartbeat.

The hot water poured from the faucet like summer rain and blocked out the rest of the world. It was just the two of them, and it was closer to perfection than either of them had ever known. All that mattered was Gerard and Bob, skin on skin, mouth on mouth, and hand in hand, as the water fell over them gracefully and encouraged their moans.

The young man’s face was twisted in jealousy as he heard the shower turn on and two men slip through the curtain. His fists clenched at every moan, and his anger boiled just below the surface of his desperate demeanor. Tonight was his chance to rectify this, to redeem himself in the way he saw fit. Slowly, painfully, he made his way into the kitchen and grabbed a long, serrated knife. The metal gleamed in the moonlight pouring through the half-open window.

The couple decided to move into the bedroom, turning off the water and grabbing towels to dry off. It was nearly impossible, since they could not seem to keep their hands off each other.

The man noticed the water was off. A surging tide of panic gripped him as he quietly stumbled into the bedroom, concealing himself in the closet. He sat on a pile of clothes, knife in his hand, hair sticking to his sweaty forehead.

Gerard was trying to pull the towel off that Bob held firmly to cover himself up and tease the older man. He was a constant tease and it drove Gerard mad. The younger of the two smiled innocently as Gerard groaned loudly and pushed him down forcefully onto their bed. Bob still refused to let go of his towel, so Gerard simply began to kiss and suck on the sensitive skin below his stomach. He chuckled at Bob’s hips began to shift and light moans urged him to slip his hand under the towel and slide up his lover’s thigh.

‘Why am I stuck in this closet?’ the young man thought to himself. ‘Why do I torture myself like this?’ More than anything, he wanted to leave. He regretted ever coming into the apartment in the first place. Slow, heavy tears ran down his feverishly clammy cheek. ‘Is it to late to go back?’

Loud moans filled the small bedroom, accompanied by the rhythmic creaking of the mattress.

‘I want them. I want to be them. I want Gerard! It isn’t fair. I love him more than Bob ever could.’ The young man contemplated his next move. ‘I should kill him. I should kill both of them. They deserve to bleed as much as my own heart has bled for them! Wait…. No. Only Bob.’ He studied the knife in his hand. ‘I can’t. I can’t end it!’ His eyes burned with fury as he listened to the couple climax together. It drove him absolutely crazy with envy. It pushed him over the edge.

Gerard rolled over and rested his head on Bob’s chest. They were both panting to catch their breath.

“I love you Gerard.”

“I…. I love you too…. But….”

“But what?”

“There’s something…. I’ve been keeping from you.”

Gerard hung his head with shame and Bob’s eyes filled with tears.

“It’s Mikey isn’t it? I knew it!” His voice cracked, and he shifted away from Gerard, who could not answer. “I should have figured it out. You were with him all the time Gee! He’s you’re fucking brother!”

“I know, b-but…. I…. I’m s-sorry.”

“I’m leaving,” Bob choked out. “I can’t stay here.” He walked over to the closet to grab some clothes and a suitcase.

“Bob, please, I’m sorry!” Gerard pleaded. “Please come back here, sit with me, and let me talk to you.”

Bob couldn’t control his temper. “No. I’m leaving. And…. And you and Mikey can just…. Go die!”

With an angry tug, he pulled open the closet door. A body tumbled out, soaked completely in the blood pouring out of the man’s wrist. The young man was still, no longer breathing. His last heartbeats had already come and gone.

Gerard and Bob stood horrified, unable to form complete words or even thoughts.

After a moment of silence, Bob fell to his knees in agony and Gerard finally whispered something.

Only one word, yet the word held so much pain.

“M-Mikey….”