Everything Is Never as It Seems

005;

“Okay, so you guys are going to be alright here by your selves for a while, right?” I stood in the living room watching Kaleb and his friend, Randy, playing video games.

“Mom, for the 100th time: Yes.”

“I’m sorry, I’m just making sure…”

“If you’re worried, then maybe you shouldn’t go.” I looked at him. Going on this date with Pete was not something he wanted me to do, he’d made that clear to me

I placed his chin in the palm of my hand, and kissed him on the forehead. “I love you, more than anything.” He just looked at me. “You too, Randy.” I said, kissing the tips of my fingers and pressing them on his forehead. Randy and Kaleb had been friends since they were in kindergarten. Randy’s parent’s weren’t around, so he practically felt like my son. He lived with his grandparent’s but most of the time stayed with Kaleb and me.

“I love you too, mom. But…”

“But what? Pete’s a good guy. I like him.” Kaleb shrugged as the doorbell rang. I opened the door and found Pete standing there. “Hey.”

“Hi. Lauren, wow. You look great.”

“Oh,” I said looking down at myself, “thank you.”

“You ready to go?”

“Almost. Just sit down, I’ll be right back.” I said running into the kitchen.

Pete sat down on the couch next to Kaleb. “Hey guys, what’s up?”

“Just playing this game.” Kaleb muttered.

“What are you guys doing tonight?”

“I guess this.” He muttered again.

I walked out of the kitchen, seeing Pete nodding at Kaleb. “Why don’t you guys, maybe, come out to eat with us.” Pete looked past his shoulder at me, finding me smiling. “If that’s okay with you.”

“Come on guys, get your shoes and coats on.” I said.

“Really? Mom, we can go?” Kaleb asked.

“Of course. Now c’mon.”

When we got to the restaurant, we were seated at a booth. Kaleb and Randy on one side, and Pete and I, closer than necessary, on the other. I wasn’t sure if either of the boys noticed it, but Pete had his arm, very casually, wrapped around my waist, resting on my hip. “Okay guys, order whatever you want. Don’t hold back either.”

“I really wouldn’t say that if I were you. They can eat…a lot.”

“Lauren, I was 14 once. I know how us, men, can be. Trust me.” I just smiled at him, amused that he referred all three of them as men.

I watched at how Kaleb and Randy actually talked to Pete. I think they were having a better time than I was. But I wasn’t sure about that either.

Kaleb got a text message from somebody, which sparked a whole different conversation between him and Randy. Giving me an opportunity for Pete and I to have our own conversation. He looked at me and smiled, and I smiled back. “So,” I started. “Your son, Bronx is it?”

“Yeah.” He said, smiling.

“It must be hard to be away from him like this.”

“You have no idea. Do you want to see him? I’ve got some pictures of him on my phone.”

“Yeah, of course.” I answered. He pulled his phone out of his pocket, smiling. He showed his main screen, showing me Bronx. “Pete, he’s gorgeous.” I said.

“Yeah, he is, isn’t he.”

“He looks like you.”

“Does he? Most people say he looks like his mom.”

“I think he looks like you.”

He smiled at me. “In about two weeks, I’m flying out to LA to get him. He’s going to spend about a week with me.”

“I bet your excited.”

“Oh, I am.” He said, smiling from ear to ear.

When we got home from the restaurant, Kaleb and Randy ran straight inside, not evening bothering to thank Pete for dinner. But I did not rush in side. Pete and I walked to my door in silence, then stood at it in silence as well. I literally felt like a teenager.

“Thank you, so much for inviting them.” I said.

“Oh, no problem. Their cool kids.” He said.

I smiled at him, sitting down on the porch swing. He did the same as I did, and sat close too. “No, I mean you have no idea how badly Kaleb didn’t even want me to go with you.”

“Really?” Pete asked, his smile fading.

“Yeah, but it wasn’t because of you. He just doesn’t like me even being around men. Let alone go out with them.”

“Seriously? Dude’s got a problem with us?”

“Yeah, kind of. He just doesn’t trust people easily. It’s nothing personal. I think he thinks that you’re trying to take me away from him.”

“But I’m not.”

“Believe me, I know that. But you have to prove that to him.” He took a deep breath, and moved his eye brows together, forming lines on his forehead. “Don’t worry. Just keep doing what you’re doing, and he’ll love you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I've had this saved for forever, I just never posted it.
So tell me what you think, and if you think I should continue with this. (: