Status: completed

First Date

Chapter 2

"Tell me a bit about yourself," Belinda said in a bored voice.

"Um, well..." Danny stammered. "I'm 32, I work at a music shop, I live..." Danny paused. Belinda was definitely unimpressed; what was she going to say when he told her he lived with his best friend?

"You live with Anna and Christian, right?"

"Yeah, that's right."

Belinda looked almost disgusted. "You know they're about to be married soon."

"Yeah," Danny defended himself. "I'm gonna be Christian's best man."

"So, what are you gonna do when they're married?"

"I-I didn't thnk anything had to change."

"Sure," Belinda sighed. "Keep talking."

"Um...what do I like? Video games, tv, action movies. Um...I work out regularly," Danny lied. "I like ice cream. It doesn't matter what flavour, but honeycomb's my favourite. I like kiwi fruit, and I like soccer-" Danny broke off. Was she texting under the table?

"What I don't like," Danny continued, spurred on by Belinda's rudeness, "is white chocolate, Two and a Half Men, I can't stand that show, and people who are up themselves. And people who text while they're actually talking to someone."

Danny head the snap of Belinda's phone being slid shut. She looked almost guilty.

The waiter was at their table. "Carbonara?"

***

Danny didn't have a car, so Belinda dropped him off at his place.

The night had been a disaster. After the food came, Danny took the opportunity to eat so much he didn't have the opportunity to speak. The carbonara was now making him feel sick.

"Thanks for tonight," he said in a quiet voice.

"That's alright," Belinda replied. "But, listen, Danny...I think it'd be best if we don't see each other again. Is that clear?"

"Crystal clear," Danny said drily. He got out of the car and stumbled up the path to the house. The door was locked. "Chrisso?" he called, pounding on the door.

Christian was there in seconds, unlocking the door. "Be quiet. Anna's asleep." He guided Danny inside. "How'd it go?"

"Don't wanna talk about it. It was horrible."

"Fair enough," said Christian. "I've never liked Belinda much. You want something to eat?"

"No. I feel like shit." Danny followed Christian into the living room and collapsed on the couch.

Christian ducked into the kitchen and came back with two beers. "Shove over, Dan. Family Guy's on."

Danny screwed off the lid and drained about half the bottle. Sure, he could never land a chick. He was doomed to be a bachelor for life. But even if that was so, Danny knew Christian would always be there, two beers in hand.