Status: It's basically done... Wow... I never thought I'd see the day.

Be Somewhere

Let's cut fast to the car crash where the future went down with the past

“Hi Kim,” Ricky sighed, “Discharged already?” The older woman nodded at him with a frown on her lips and a pucker creasing her forehead. He tried to smile for her, but it came out more as a twisted grimace. “I guess you guys can't keep me in here forever.” She nodded at him again; still distracted.

His clothing was brought to him and Ricky was pleased to find that the garments were actually members of his wardrobe. A hush had fallen over the hospital and it set his stomach at unease. None of the nurses or doctors would look him in the eye and Ricky couldn't get them to answer when he asked them what was wrong.

The sky was gray when he left the hospital and the air had settled with a bitter dismal bite to it that seemed unnaturally cold. His mother smiled warmly down at him and his heartbeat slowed. Even if the rest of the world was acting in a manner that he wasn't accustomed to, his mother was still being a fake. At least one thing was normal.

When they got back to the house, they found that Richard was already drunk again. Ricky's listless eyes searched out Aggie; she was the only hope he had to make it through the next few days without dying of boredom. Finally he found her eyes watching the scene below from the top of the staircase. Her green eyes flashed in the darkness and showed him a reflection of his pale, sickly self.

She slowly climbed down the stairs and wrapped her arms around his knees in a hug. A bittersweet pang hit his stomach when she smiled up at him sadly. It made him want to cry that she knew where he had been. As a four year old it wasn't her job to be concerned for him.

“You better now?” She asked while staring at him with wide, pleading eyes. Her eyelashes were wet with tears that she had cried earlier and she refused to blink as her focus locked onto his own gaze.

“Not quite, but I can get better at home, now,” Ricky replied with a shaky voice. Without another word, she grabbed his hand and started to lead him up the stairs. A grumble erupted from behind them and Ricky glanced back to see Richard glaring at him as they ascended the stairs.

Aggie gripped his hand a little tighter and he smiled down at her reassuringly. It was finally beginning to occur to him just how terrified of Richard she was. The man had never lain a finger on her, and yet she cowered in his very presence.

A creak of the floorboards signaled that Richard had began to follow them upstairs. The steps became quicker and Ricky pushed his sister up the final steps before whirling around to face Richard. Aggie whimpered behind him and he stroked her hair to try and soothe her feared cries. Richard snickered and Ricky could smell the booze on his breath.

He realized what Richard was looking at and his blood ran cold. It wasn't he himself who was under scrutiny, it was the toddler crouching behind him that was being watched.

“You stay away from her,” he hissed through clenched teeth. The eyes of his foe never moved from his sister's small frame. Ricky advanced and bent his knees slightly. If Richard wanted Aggie, he would have to go through Ricky to get her. A small, protective growl slid through his lips as Richard bent down a little lower.

Ricky launched himself at the older man in order to distract him while Aggie scrambled away. Richard tossed Ricky so that his back hit the railing and he let out a yelp of pain. His footsteps became more rapid as he chased after Aggie. Groaning, Ricky pried himself away from the support and limped after his stepfather.

He had Aggie by the roots of her hair and was dragging her towards the steps while she screeched in pain and protest. Another wail escaped her throat as the rug started to burn her las. Fury overpowered all of Ricky's senses and he launched himself at Richard again. When he felt the contact of Ricky's body against his own, he instantly let go of the young girl he had a hold on.

Aggie ran towards the stairs as Ricky screamed encouragements at her. After a few shrieks of “run”, Richard caught on and dropped Ricky to the floor. Once again he was in pursuit of the younger child. He rounded the corner and Ricky followed him with determination pulsing through his veins. Shoving his way past Richard, he stood in front of the staircase and shielded Aggie from his torturous blows.

The man simple smirked and pushed on Ricky's chest. He gripped the banister to avoid losing his balance. Realizing what the domino affect could do, he turned to grab Aggie's hand, only to find that she was already on her way down. He reached out his hand to get a grip on her wrist.

Time seemed to slow down for him as their fingertips brushed. Her tiny hand was falling further and further out of reach and all he could do was stand and watch. Agony an rampant through every inch of him as he watched her body bounce down the stairs. A deafening crack ended the scene and blood began to pool on the floor in the entryway.

Tears fell down his face in symmetry and he couldn't help but be reminded of butterflies as he leapt down the stairs. He started to call her name, but her glazed eyes didn't respond. Running his hand over her paling wrist, he let out an anguished whimper when no little beat gave hint to life.

Tiredness swept over him as the scent of iron dizzied his senses. It was so strong that he could almost taste it. Cold, salty tears dripped down onto her cheeks and contaminated the finale. Ricky couldn't remember ever feeling quite so empty or useless.

He reluctantly stood and turned to face his parents. Silence had never invaded his home like this. There was always screaming, glass breaking, and even on occasion laughter. Never had complete silence filled his ears; not even the wind dared blow through the open window to disturb an angel's final rest.

Richard's jaw was hanging open and he stared at Ricky with confusion. His mother was no better, her face was slightly more composed. Hollowness crept into him and his eyes stared lifelessly up at Richard. He turned around once again and pulled the doorknob open. Before leaving, he leant down and kissed his sister on the forehead, resulting on a scarlet smear on his lips.

“I'm so sorry that I couldn't protect you, honey. I promise you that even if it takes me until the day I day, they're going to pay for this,” He whispered in her ear. Still soaked in her blood, he stepped out onto the street and started to walk towards Danny's house where he would feel safe.

“Ricky, come back!” His mother screeched while running out the door after him. She caught up rather quickly and had her arms wrapped around him within seconds. “What do you think you're doing; running off like that?” She shook her head at him like he was being an unruly child.

”Let go of me, you stupid bitch!” He screamed in reply. Clicks were heard as neighbors started to poke their heads out of their doors. His mother glanced around warily at the curious faces and sent embarrassed smiles in their direction.

“Ricky, get back in the house now!” She said in a hushed tone. “And calm down for Christ's sake! You're causing a scene.”

”I will not calm down and I don't care if I'm causing a scene! Fuck you! I am never setting foot in that house again!” Without another word he broke free of her grip and bolted down the street, dripping blood and tears as he went.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please Don't Eat Me.