The School of Drama Queens, Stoners, and Scaredy Cats

Chapter 4

I closed my eyes, trying to keep from fainting. I heard someone come up.
“What are you still doing here?” Mr. Phish said. He never was the kind, sympathetic man he appeared to be in front of parents.
“Don’t feel so well, sir. My friend’s going to get the nurse.” My voice sounded weird even to me.
“Mrs. Elma doesn’t make house calls. Can this do with the fact you were smoking pot in the girl’s bathroom? And I suggest you look at me when I talk to you.” He said in a calm voice. Well, seemingly calm. I could hear the hate boiling underneath.
My heart started beating fast. I opened my eyes and immediately got dizzy again. I was about to come up with some sort of excuse when I saw Mrs. Elma, the nurse, and Tess come running up.
“Hello Mr. Phillips. If you don’t mind, please get out of my way. I let you do your job, please let me do mine.” Mrs. Elma pushed past him. Looks like Mr. Phish was just as popular among teachers as he was students.
“I’ll be in touch.” He said to me and left.
One worry off my list.
“Tell me what’s wrong, dear.” She said in her normal sweet voice.
I glanced at Tess. She looked at me expectantly.
“I’m just really nervous. Do you think I could lie down in your office for a while?”
She nodded, concerned. “That’s probably best. Tess, dear, you can go back to class.” Tess shook her head at me and left. I followed the old lady back to her office before realizing her office is in the front office. Where Mr. Phish is. My fear of going to class versus the immediate danger of Mr. Phish battled.
“I think I’m feeling much better. I think I’ll just head to class.” I turned around, waved at Mrs. Elma, and headed off slowly. She called after me, but I hurried off.
I got to class a few minutes late. I looked around for Tess, who wasn’t there.
“Good for you to join us. What’s your name?” Ms. Mys asked. She was a young teacher with this short, blonde, perfectly styled hair and professionally done nails and low-cut clothes. She looked like a student herself. A really mature, slutty student but, still, a student.
“Treasure Mickey. I was in the nurse’s office.” I took a seat towards the back, one of the few seats left. The class was extremely crowded. I was borderline hyperventilating. The only thing that saved me from a full scale panic attack was that I knew most of the people. Then again, depending how you looked at it, that could send me in a panic too.
Tess walked in, avoiding eye contact with me and sat towards the front. What was she doing?
“Now that everyone’s here, shall we get started?” Ms. Mys clasped her hands together. The class passed by as quickly as a slug. Really, it was a typical first day class, filled with a whole lot of nothing.
I want to talk to Tess and ask her why she, a student who never was late for anything, was pretty late for English but she left pretty quickly to her locker, off to her next smart people’s class.
My first class without Tess. And it was PE.
Let me describe my hatred of PE. I’m an average sized teenager, but for America, that’s not too skinny. I have hair that always seems to get in my eyes and like most kids, I don’t have the highest self esteem. Now add a dash of clumsiness, a hint of awkwardness, and a big ole’ whopping of loneliness and you got me in PE. It’s not a pretty sight.
I walked in the Locker Room quietly. Everyone was stripping down, a few even walking around in just their bras or underwear. I grabbed my clothes and headed to the bathroom stalls. I dressed in a pair of black sweats and a black, abstract designed shirt and headed to the gym.
Who makes students dress down the first day of school? I mean, really!?
I walked in and saw that more then half the class was athletic. Great. Were the teachers in a giant conference talking about how to add to my humiliation?
“Well, you little girls, that wasn’t bad. Let me tell you what I expect this year. Hard work! If you don’t give 110%, then I’m gonna run you until you decide to give 110%!” Mr. McNi bellowed. I, personally, didn’t see how that would work but had no doubt in my mind he would do it.
“You have to participate,” Which I knew was key for: you had to be an athlete, “or you will not do good. You have to transfer your mind to athletic mode. If not, then good luck.” No one had spoken a word. I wondered if they were holding their breath, like me. This was going to be hell. I thought of transferring to another class.
“Now that that’s settled, let’s go down to the track to get warmed up. I hope you guys worked out over the summer.”
We walked down the hill, me stumbling, to the track and field. We had to run a lap. That itself was torture, which is just sad. Then we had to do a few stadiums. Which is especially horrible because, we’re in a cheap school that put all their money in a giant stadium a few years ago. Yay us!
Soccer time. Mr. McNi gave us the whole “Soccer’s a girl’s sport and I wouldn’t even bother having you losers play it, but this is the only equipment we have at the moment.” speech. Oh, and if we didn’t we’d all have to run. That really got me a few glares.
We walked back the hill; I was practically panting from exhaustion.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment? Advice?