Status: Completed - ten chapters, six stars.

Safe in My Arms

You May Say I'm A Dreamer

Adelle sighed, sweeping her sight at her now almost empty dorm room. There were cardboard boxes at a corner of the room and her luggages were located next to the door. The only things that weren’t in the boxes were some furniture that belonged to the dorm.

She threw the last piece of her clothing into the last luggage next to her before zipping it close and dragged it next to the door, placing it with the other luggages.

Adelle got a scholarship to England for three years. She had packed all of her things and was going to ship them today. She kept her Vespa at Jess’ house, knowing that her brother would take a good care of it.

Someone knocked on the door and she went to open it. John stood there, grinning widely from ear-to-ear like he always was.

“Hey, ready?” he asked. She nodded and let him in.

“Thanks for helping,” she said as John picked up three boxes, piling them together.

“It’s alright. I want to.” He walked out and went back three minutes later. He picked up three more boxes and Adelle took two boxes, then they went out and placed it in his SUV. They did the same to the next boxes and to her luggages, but left two luggages. She was going to bring it with her on the plane.

Adelle took shotgun as John started the engine. She closed the door and he started to drive to the nearest FedEx’s office.

Three days had passed and Stephen was at his home, watching TV. He had never seen Adelle or Victoria ever since Adelle broke up with him last week, though he knew John has been hanging out with Adelle nearly most of the time. He also knew that Adelle was going to move to England but he didn’t know what to do.

The doorbell rang, snapping him back to the reality. He got up and opened the door. Adelle looked up from her cellphone.

“Hi,” she said.

“Hey, um, John’s upstairs,” he replied, knowing why she was there.

“Yeah, I just texted him, telling him I’m here already.”

Stephen nodded and pursed his lips. An awkward silence stepped in between them. He scratched the back of his neck stiffly. Adelle noticed that; she couldn’t forget his habits when he was feeling maladroit or nervous or unsure. She had unintentionally memorized all of it outside her brain.

Stephen opened his mouth and was about to talk when John cut him off by running down the stairs. “Adelle!” he shouted and stood next to his brother. “You ready?” Adelle nodded. “I’m going to drop her off at the airport, you want to come?” he asked Stephen although he actually didn’t want to.

Stephen thought for a moment, staring at Adelle. “Nah, I’m good,” he answered. “Goodluck in England, Adelle.”

She nodded, smiling a little. “Thanks.”

John took her hand and they started walking to his car. Adelle glanced back at Stephen and he waved a goodbye. Adelle replied with a small smile.

There was something heavy in Stephen’s heart when he watched her walking with his brother, completely letting go of her. Something like… jealousy.

“ Good afternoon passengers. This is the pre-boarding announcement for flight 89B to London…” the speaker announced.

Adelle got up from her seat and stared at John who was still sitting. He stood up and engulfed her in a tight hug.

“I’m going to miss you so much,” he whispered.

“I know. I’m gonna miss you too,” she replied, her arms around his back.

Comfortable silence filled in for a while, before she spoke again. “Hey, John?”

“Hm?”

“I have been thinking…”

He let go of her and stared into her eyes. “What?”

“Um… I…”

John raised his eyebrows, waiting.

“I would love to be your girlfriend.”

He widened his eyes in excitement. “Oh my god,” he muttered. “Are you serious?” She nodded, smiling. “Are you pulling a prank on me?” She shook her head, giggling.

“I realize that I deserve to be happy,” she said, “And you make me happy. So much.”

He grinned the biggest grin that Adelle had ever seen and pulled her into another hug. They pulled away, far enough to see each other’s eyes. John tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and leaned in. They both closed their eyes as their lips softly touched.

The speaker repeated its announcement and they pulled away.

“I promise to visit you,” John said.

She nodded, smiling. “You better be.”

John grinned and pecked her lips once more. “Now go! London is waiting.”

She grinned back. “Visit me soon or I’ll kick your ass,” she jokingly threatened as she grabbed her bag and took a hold of her luggage trolley, not forgetting to stuff her passport and ticket in her jacket pocket.

“I will, I will,” he laughed.

She started to walk away and John kept shouting goodbye, earning attention from the people around them. Adelle shook her head at him and didn’t want to look back at him because he was embarrassing her. Minutes later, she left the country with a heavy feeling mixed with excitement.
♠ ♠ ♠
did I say this is the last chapter? no?

well it isn't.