Status: I am a awful person. So so sorry that I haven't updated in a while! new chapter on the way

Eerie Silence

Line One

Sitting on the cracked sidewalk, Amy rocked herself back and forth in a comforting motion. Silence filled the night as she waited. The Blood Moon did nothing to illuminate the sky, but the cemetery glowed with iridescent light. There was no wind, but the grass moved. With great effort, Amy stopped herself from whipping around and lashing out capriciously. Did that headstone just shift? Everything around her was abnormal, lugubrious and sepulchral. The ominous tension radiating from the surroundings made Amy want to jump at every sound.

To distract herself, Amy twirled her shoe laces between her glossy black fingernails. Then she pulled at the weeds growing over the sidewalk. Wiping the dirt from her fingers onto her jeans, she stood just as a small flame appeared behind a large headstone. It flickered blue and orange and seemed to hum her name. Slowly she made her way to a smaller head stone near by the glow. After a moments hesitation she tried moving closer, but it moved away just as quick, a vivacious flame. So, she followed it around headstones and random rocks until it stopped again, by a statue this time. Blue light flared from the small flame to illuminate what she took to be the Angle of Death. It was a large statue of a cloaked figure. The body was draped in a stone cloak, and a hood masked the face. Two strong hands poked out from long sleeves, the fingers of the left hand were pressed into the side, but the right hand grasped a threatening scythe. It was as if here you stood between life and death, and he beckoned for you to take his path.

Behind the flame was another shape, a black blur that came in and out of focus. Amy could just make out the blue-black hair and the sharp facial features. She recognized the hawk like nose and high cheek bones. The flame died down as a sigh passed over her thin lips, a breath slipping free that she didn’t know she had been holding.

The blue fire brightened to illuminate a small area surrounding Amy and the boy in front of her. Light curled around his pale figure, revealing his handsome features in a golden glow. The small gasp that had escaped her thin lips was rolled into a laugh, delicate and airy-fairy on the evening air. Amy didn’t believe she would ever get used to the sight of him, the way it made her heart flip and cages rattle in her stomach, the color of his eyes that captured her and his overall figure that took the air straight from her lungs. Just the sight of him transformed her jovially.

He chuckled. “I forgot you don’t like it when I use them,” he said in a deep, rich voice. It contained as much warmth as the flame he was holding in his bare hand.

“That is not the reason I gasped,” Amy said in a soft voice, meeting the steady gaze of his warm eyes. “And I don’t mind you using them.”

Damian didn’t respond as he took out a candle from his pocket; he wasn’t one for flattery of himself, no matter who it came from. Amy took his hand in hers, her pale fingers resting inside the little flame. The fire had surprised her as, but she knew it wouldn’t hurt her. He would never do anything to hurt her, no matter how bizarre he was, and Damian was very out of the ordinary. Strange things had started happening to Amy after the arrival of this boy, the new kid. Everything, of course, that had happened was amazing, but abnormal and peculiar to, and all of it was linked to Damian.

They had met in high school, early in the fall semester, and Damian had seemed ordinary, strangely beautiful and quiet, but just an ordinary student. How wrong her assumption had been. She remembered that they hadn’t been the instant friends people always think of and it hadn’t been love at first site. A conversation hadn’t been struck up and revealed how deeply they connected on. She had been content with her life and with her friends when he showed up.

When they did speak to each other it was because Amy had been asked to show him around the school. They met in the main office and were given quick introductions before scurrying away with strict orders. Amy was to escort him to each of their classes and help integrate him into the school society. She had been happy with the way her life had been going, and wasn’t looking to make more friends, even with a hot new boy. She was nice, cordial and genial, but with no real interest in getting to know him, and Damian acted the same way towards her.

Then her friends had offered him a seat at the lunch table the moment the two of them had walked through the doors. With everyone’s eyes watching his every move, Damian reluctantly slid into the bench, taking a seat across from her. Everyone opened fire, and beat him down with questions, glad to be the first ones to get at the new kid on campus.

As it would turn out, the two of them had a lot in common. There favorite bands were the same and they both loved to read. His favorite color was green, hers was blue. He loved the stars and she adored the moon. Her friends loved him and thought him a total hottie. Amy wouldn’t argue that point, but through out lunch she remained quiet, poking at her food and sneaking glances up at his past the longer strands of her sleek hair. The others had beaten him down with questions, eager to find out more, and as they cleared things off the table, he had been invited to eat with them tomorrow.

The more they got to know each other, the more they knew there was more between them then music and books. Normally they were both quiet people, but they could hold entire conversations without letting their little group in to talk. Other times they sat across from each other at launch just staring. She loved the swirls in his seemingly black eyes. If the light hit them at just the right angle they would appear a chocolate brown, and other times there would be specks of green around the pupil. He would tell her that her blue eyes where like glass or the ocean, but Amy thought they were too boring for that. He was smart, a gentleman, and handsome. Even though they took all the same classes, he always had the better grades.

Their first real date didn’t happen for some months after his first day. While they were slowly growing closer, they had some problems meeting alone since all Amy’s girlfriends wanted a piece of him. Her gay friends agreed he was a perfect ten, but they would never give each other up for him. So, they told her he was safe from them. There where pretty much always eyes on him though; the mysterious new kid who hid behind his dark sunglasses and inky hair caught the attention of everyone. She wondered, now that she knew the truth about him, if his magic was drawing their attention. Attractive students always drew attention, but with Damian it was more than that.

Everyone wanted to know him, and the more he pushed them away the more they wanted to know.

When he did finally get her alone they held hands as they walked along the empty streets. Amy could remember everything about that night. She wore a loose black tank top and black skinny jeans with a chain, an outfit similar to the one she wore tonight. He was in black jeans and a black top and a black jacket. The jacket was faded and torn but looked well-worn and cared for. His shades where pushed on top of his head to hold back his raven hair. It didn’t reach his shoulder, but it still fell in his face.

There wasn’t much talking as they entered an old discreet park. Under a small white tree Amy saw a blanket and a wicker basket. A candle sat already lit in the center of the blanket. He lit more once they were seated comfortably beside each other. Conversation was light and they sat close to each other, acting a bit shy. He twirled a strand of her brown hair around his elegant finger, asking questions he already knew the answers to. Some how, the conversation turned over to the topic of magic.

He talked to her about the history of magic and then turned the conversation over to his personal life. Though they had spent hours talking, neither of them had mentioned their family.
After his parent’s deaths he had a real connection to the supernatural. Damian was just nine when they had been in a horrific accident, both of them dying quickly, or so he was told. They had been his only family, so, “social services” took him in and moved him into a new family. “I was too much of a trouble though,” he said. “No one would keep me. I guess I just acted too weird.” Tarot cards and palm readings where his first real signs of active magic, but as a kid he had seen his parents ghosts.
Amy listed in awe as he explained the tragedy of their deaths and how it had led him to his path of solitude and powers. She still wasn’t sure she believed in magic, but he pulled a deck of tarot cards from his pocket and she had smiled. He asked her to pull the card she was drawn to. The Ace of Cups, glowing in gold and swirling water, felt warm in her small hand. Her eyes searched the card as if it held the meaning to her life. What it meant was that a new beginning was coming for her.
After his little show of magic the night passed in a sweet silence. Amy curled up against him, resting her head on his chest and listening to his faint heart beat. When it was time to part, Amy stole a brief kiss from his perfect lips. He grasped her hand and gave it a quick squeeze before leaving her at her front door. She slipped inside her house and just managed to make it to her bed before melting with a sticky sweet and giddy joy. The next day The Ace of Cups was tapped to the inside of her locker door.

The night he revealed everything to her he officially asked her to be his girlfriend. That night started much the same as their first night. Instead of walking to the park, though, they wound up in the old cemetery. The very one they where comfortably sitting in now.

By that point in their relationship, Amy thought nothing could surprise her; his slight magic tricks no longer surprised her. She of course had been wrong, but the truth didn’t change how she felt about him. Even now, after everything she had learned, knowing he collected souls and mingled in death, Amy was in love with Damian.

Now they sat in that same cemetery, Damian openly using his powers.

Snuggling closer to him, Amy pulled a small box from her pocket. “Happy anniversary,” she whispered, her lips brushing past his ear.

With his typical smirk he placed his hand over hers which was still holding the box. “Remind me how long it’s been since I told you.”

Amy smirked, knowing he didn’t need a reminder. Pulling her hands from his, she wrapped her arms around him and twirled a strand of his smooth hair. The night wind brushed against her skin. “Four months to the day.” She kissed his cheek lightly and then cuddled up in his lap. “Damian?” she asked.

“Yeah babe?” he asked breathing in her scent.

“What made you trust me?” In four months she hadn’t found the courage to confront him. He hadn’t shared the truth with her right away, but he hadn’t known her more than a few months when he told her he was an angel of death. “You shared this huge secret with me, and I could have freaked out or gone crazy or something.” Amy let go of him and tugged at her own straight hair. Cool fingers brushed past her cheek. He pulled a white lily from behind her ear. Taking her hands away from her silky hair and putting the little box down by a candle, Damian wrapped her small hands around a flower stem.

“You’re special. I’ve always know that,” he whispered. Moving a candle closer to them he rested his arms around her.

Amy twirled the lily around in her hands. It wasn’t a very good answer, but she wouldn’t push it, tonight was too special.

“I still can’t believe it’s been four months,” Amy whispered in awe.

His cool hand brushed through her hair. Kissing her check, he smiled. “I never thought this could happen,” his voice was almost sad. “In all my years, I never thought I could actually hold on to love.”

Amy rested her head on Damian’s shoulder, inhaling his outdoors scent. They sat on a black blanket between the Angel of Death and a tomb stone dating back to the 1800’s. The wind picked up lifting their hair and mingling them together. She snuggled closer and watched as the candles flared up making more heat. Damian was naturally cold, but she always got a rush of warmth from being near him.

Clicking her converse together, Amy looked down at the flower between her hands. “Why lilies?” she asked and looked up into his dark eyes.

“I was wondering when you were going to ask.” For four months Damian had been making lilies appear; sometimes the Ace of Cups would be with them, other times it would be alone or in a bouquet. They’d be tapped inside her locker or laying on her desk before class started. It wasn’t some cheesy magic trick, and Damian didn’t have her locker combination. When they were alone, and she had learned of his magic, he would weave them through her hair or pull them from her ears. “Lilies suit you,” he gave her a vague answer.

Smacking his chest she huffed, “Stop with the half answers.” Amy left her hand resting on his chest, admiring the toned abs that lie beneath the black shirt.

“Alright,” he chuckled and took her free hand. “You know that all things in nature hold meaning: trees, flowers, stones, etc. Of course they all have multiple meanings. When it comes right down to it, lilies mean majesty, sweetness and happiness,” Damian kissed her forehead. His soft lips left a burning sensation where they touched her skin. “Amy, you are magnificent and charming, and you are my happiness.” His hands ran lightly over her hair before he snaked her arms around her waist again. Placing his chin on her shoulder, Damian sighed, content.

Amy felt her face heat up as she blushed. He always said the sweetest things, and most of the time she didn’t believe him. It was all lies; he was only toying with her. She knew it was the furthest thing from the truth, but Amy couldn’t figure out what he saw in her.

Brushing her lips across his, she felt a rush of joy; all doubt was erased from her mind.
“I like this spot,” she said as she pulled wiggled from his arms and hugged him.
♠ ♠ ♠
New Story! would love some feedback- good or bad-
More to come
<3 Megan