Status: completed :)

You & I Collide

Plot

Emmett

I ran. The soft feeling of Rachel's lips still lingered on my own, and I ran. Through the woods and past the thick trees and branches of Forks, I ran. I wasn't sure where I was going, but the fact that I was going strengthened me greatly, making me run faster. I wasn't mad at Rachel, but I was still hurting. The only thing was, I wasn't sure if it was Rachel I was hurting over....

I'd left Rosalie of my own accord - it was my choice, my decision. And, like Rachel, I'd been blinded of another love, even though that love wasn't nearly as strong. Rachel and I were over, but I still had feelings for Rose. She still meant more to me than being my sister, and that's how I saw her. With her tumbles of wavy blond hair, her piercing golden eyes, and the way she smiled....She and I had something, and now she was gone.

I ran all the way home, trying not to think. When I walked inside, I instantly felt a pair of arms wrap around me, and for one moment, I thought it was Rosalie, finally come back to me....But it was Alice.

"Emmett," she said, still hugging me, "I'm so sorry about you and Rachel. Are you okay?"

"Fine, Alice," I said. "Thanks."

She pulled away, and I could see Esme smiling sadly at me. "Are you sure?" she asked, motherly as ever. "Are you sure you're all right?"

I nodded. Then Bella came over to me.

"How about some arm wrestling?" she asking, smiling jokingly. "I'll even let you win."

I shook my head. "No, thanks, actually. I just want to relax. Is there - ?"

" - the basketball game is on Channel 51," Edward finished, reading my thoughts. I grinned at him, trying to be my old self again, trying to re-adjust. I sauntered over to the couch, picked up the remote, and flicked on the TV. I didn't look at everyone else, but one by one, I heard the soft whoosh of air that meant they were leaving the room. All except Alice; she chose to sit on the couch next to me, even though everyone knew she didn't really see the point of basketball whatsoever.

She didn't speak to me during the game - knowing I was very concentrated - but she had me uncharacteristically distracted. Her expression was such that it appeared she was hiding something - something big. Maybe I was just overreacting, but she looked scared, worried, and ridiculously guilty, as if she was ashamed that she wasn't telling me whatever was on her mind.

"Emmett," she said suddenly, and the sound of her voice startled me. She placed a hand on my arm, but kept on staring straight ahead at the TV screen, looking at it, but not really watching the game at all. I abruptly realized that this had been her façade all along.

I was tense, all of a sudden - whatever was preoccupying her, she must be about to tell me what that is.

But she just continued, saying, "Are you absolutely positive that you're okay?"

"I'm fine, okay?" I snapped, feeling a rush of anger at her. "Yeah - Rachel and I broke up, okay? I'm sure you told everybody that, Alice. But you guys don't have to be so...so...I don't know - I guess melodramatic is the word I'm looking for. I'm fine."

"It's not like we want to be overprotective or anything, but...I had a vision today." Her voice had dropped to a soft, somber tone, one that implied trying to keep fear at bay.

"You...you did?" I asked, knowing that this couldn't be one of her average, normal visions - this must be a bad one. Immediately, I jumped to conclusions. "Is it about the Volturi? Are they coming back?"

"About the Volturi, yes. Coming back, no, thankfully. I mean, imagine if they were! That would just be so traumatizing and crazy and maybe they'd work around my visions, since things are so unplanned. It would be absolutely crazy around here, and I really doubt that Tanya and Eleazar and Carmen and everybody else would want to come up here - what with what Caius did to Irina. And - "

"Alice!" I interrupted harshly. "Come on - what are you hiding from me? What is it that everybody knows about the Volturi but me?" Because of course, that had to be the case.

Alice took a deep breath, then said, "All right, all right. I saw what they're after. Well, I guess I should say that I didn't see what they were after, because it's clear that the Volturi are after the wolf pack, and I can't see them. They want to take down the wolves, seeing as that would hurt Rachel. Rosalie thought of the plan herself - she'll be going to Italy in three days to speak with Aro and tell him her idea. She's angry at Rachel, so she wants to hurt all that is dear to her...except us. She doesn't want to betray her family...even you. But Aro hasn't heard her plan, or agreed to anything...yet. Amun will be delivering the message, so that he doesn't have to be left unprotected here in Forks - which means the wolf packs are close and they're getting paranoid. But if the wolf packs can take down Amun before the three-day limit is up...then things will be okay. But if not...well, you know what that means."

I gulped, totally struck speechless. I did know what that would mean, and it wasn't good. It wasn't good at all.
♠ ♠ ♠
suspennnnnse! hope you likee!