Status: I'm going to try to work on my stories much more, cross country's pretty much over so I'll have more time.

This Isn't It

.1

I hate these stupid headphones! I angrily stuffed the earbud into my ear after it had fallen out for the millionth time. Normally it at least waits until the seventh mile before they start falling out.
I continued on my run in one of Maine's national park mountains along the highway, listening to one of my favorite bands, Fall Out Boy.
One, two. One, two. One, two. I counted off to myself, making my footsteps keep pace. Only a few more miles.
The next thing I knew a sharp pain shot up from my ankle to my knee, forcing me to the ground. I crawled over to a fallen log and sat myself upon it, waiting for a few minutes before the log creaked and broke under my weight, throwing me backwards and down the side of the mountain, towards the highway. I cried out as my head, back, and knees collided with the rough terrain. My head hit against something extremely hard – a boulder – and everything went dark.

&&

Zack
"Ron! Can we stop real quick? I gotta pee like a mother!" Jack asked our driver, Ron.
"Yeah, hold on."
"Why are we in a van anyway? Why aren't we in the bus?" Jack questioned.
"The bus is getting worked on, Jack. We've told you a million times," Rian replied.
"Nonsense. That was my twin. But remember, I'm the pretty one."
A few minutes later we pulled to a stop at the side of the road. Everyone went in different directions, Jack sprinting.
Thud, thud, thud.
I glanced up in time to see what looked like a body rolling down the side of the mountain, coming right to me. I knew there was no way to stop it in its tracks, and jumped out of the way and followed it back down.
"Hey! Alex! Rian! Come here! Help!"
The body had stopped rolling and was resting against a boulder. A closer look revealed a girl in running clothes, now bloody and covered in dirt.
"Somebody call an ambulance!" I yelled. Alex came running up, closely followed by Rian and Jack a few seconds later.
"What? What is it?" Alex asked.
"She just fell down the mountain! Call an ambulance!" I hissed. "Don't touch her!" I stopped Rian from lifting her up. "She might have a spinal injury, you moving could make it worse."
He and Jack looked surprised at my sudden medical knowledge, but didn't push it. An ambulance arrived minutes later and loaded the girl in the back.
"Are any of you guys family?" An EMT asked.
We all started to shake our heads, then I stopped them and replied yes, jumping in the back with her and shrugging at the guys, who were obviously surprised at my actions. Luckily I had my phone in my pocket. I pulled it out and texted Alex.
If I fell down a mountain side, I'd rather wake up to a smiling person not hiding half their face behind a piece of paper. Follow!
I stuffed my phone back in my pocket and sat down behind the gurney, holding the girl's hand.

&&

Brooke
I blinked quickly to focus my eyes, trying to make sense of the loud, blurry shapes around me.
"She's waking up!" A voice yelled.
I winced. Why is everyone yelling? I wondered.
I was allowed to sit up and rest against the headboard for a few minutes, and used the time to gather in my surroundings. A hospital? Why am I in a hospital?
"Brooke?"
I continued to look around before my eyes rested on theperson doctor who had spoken. When he realized he had gotten my attention he asked, "How do you feel?"
"I feel like a mother fucking bus hit me, how do you think I feel?" I snapped.
He sighed and I ignored the disapproving looks I received from the rest of the doctors and nurses.
"Do you know your name?"
I thought, and couldn't come up with anything. "Brooke, I guess. That's what you said earlier, right?"
That earned me pitying looks. The doctor revealed no emotion. "Do you know how old you are or where you're from?"
I stared blankly back at him. "I have no idea."
He sighed.
"How'd you know my name?" I asked.
"The people who found you also found your iPod. Your name was on the back. You have no idea what happened?"
I shook my head.
"You fell down the side of a mountain. It's a miracle that you're alive right now."
I took a few minutes to digest this. "When can I go?"
"You might be able to leave in a few days, next week at the most. Would you like for your brother and his friends to come see you?"
Of course I had no idea that I had or didn't have a brother, so I agreed. The doctors and nurses cleared the room after making sure my IV and everything was good.
Ten minutes later (I was staring at the clock the whole time) the door opened again and four boys came in. The first had dirty blond curly hair and was very muscular. The second had really short hair, in short and a tee shirt, followed by a really tall guy with messy black hair in a tee shirt and jeans. The last had straight light brown hair, wearing a yellow hoodie and jeans. I stared at the first as the one with short hair sat in the only chair, and the black hair and yellow hoodie-d one leaned against the furthest wall.
I looked at each of them with wide eyes, wondering who in the world they were. When I voiced the question they smiled and the curly haired one answered, "We're the members of All Time Low. We found you after you fell."
"Oh. Thank you," I waited a minute. "Are one of you guys my brother? They said I have a brother."
"We had to tell them that so we could come with you. I just didn't want to leave you in a hospital not knowing anybody," Zack replied.
"I don't know you guys," I pointed out but added, "but I appreciate you staying, anyway."
They nodded, and the black haired one said, "You're welcome! I gotta tell you though, you scared the crap outta me! And Zack over there was definitely nearly crying."
I smiled and glanced at Zack, who nodded in a way that made it obvious Jack was lying. "Yeah, I was totally in hysterics."
The door opened and the doctor from earlier came in. "Brooke needs her rest." The implied message was obvious. He gave a pointed look at Zack and Rian, then closed the door again.
As they started to leave, I asked, "Are you guys gonna come back?"
Only Zack stopped and looked at me, I had a feeling the others left us alone on purpose. "Only if you want us to."
"I do."
"Then I'll see you tomorrow," he smiled.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know, a new one. You're wondering, why in the world does this girl start all these stories and doesn't continue working on them and finish them? But I'm gonna work on this a lot! Honest! :] Comments are lovely. Suggestions are welcome too.