Status: only a few more to go, hopefully it won't take me five months to post them.

Parting Is Such Sweet Sorrow

Act One, Scene Three.

You know that buzz that flows through to the very core of your being the moment you set foot into the theatre room, right before a big audition? It seems to be amplified tenfold this morning. Looking around I can see more of a turnout than any other show since I’ve been here. I’ve been in every production, main character or not. I’m a firm believer in the phrase, “there are no small parts, only small actors.” Or however it’s supposed to be worded.

Mr. Sanchez stood in front of us, calming the chatter to a minimum whispered buzz. We’re to do solo monologues for our auditions. He’s going to call us in, one by one to hear our monologue. I searched for my saving grace; found him—with his brother. I squared my shoulders, held my head high and walked as if I hadn’t a care in the world towards them.

“Frankie! Are you ready? I wasn’t aware we were supposed to have a monologue ready! I’m lucky we just had one in class the other day. I’ll have to use that one, I hope he doesn’t mind.”

He completely ignored his brother the moment I was in their perimeter. He always does that, chooses me over him. I’m glad in that instance I’m an only child. I’m not sure how I’d handle being blown off for a friend by my own brother.

“Hi Frank.”

“Shut up Gerard, you never talk to him so don’t start now.”

Mikey stood up and grabbed my hand and pulled me away. Luckily, or not, I managed a sympathetic smile towards Gerard before I was pulled away to the other side of the room. Not too soon after we left, Bert, Quinn and Jeph attacked Gerard like hawks do their prey.

“You can let go now, Alicia might get jealous if she knows you like holding my hand a lot.”

He squeezed my hand roughly before letting it go. His jaw was clenched; something happened and it involved the three of us. I knew that much from his actions alone. I let him silently fume; it was best to not intervene and just let him come around on his own time. I’ve learned that the hard way a few times.

I noticed shuffling and movement and a group of our peers getting up and following Mr. Anderson. There were only about thirty of us auditioning; the groups after Mr. Anderson were the techies. That means five of us will not be cast or will be placed as an understudy or an extra.

It wasn’t till about forty minutes later that I heard that familiar voice call my name. The butterflies came to life the moment I stood up to walk towards the door. There were about ten of us left—Mikey had long since gone. I felt a pair of eyes on me as I walked towards the stage door. I went through, blocking that ever pressing gaze and headed to center stage. This was it, the moment I had been anticipating all morning—it was my turn.