Status: only a few more to go, hopefully it won't take me five months to post them.

Parting Is Such Sweet Sorrow

Act Two, Scene One.

Days turned to two weeks. We had successfully done four read through sessions and this week started with specific scenes. I wasn’t needed; it was mostly the fight scenes that were being done today. Knowing that I’d be free from prying eyes and eavesdropping ears, I made my way to the music department, just across the hall.

I went to the cabinet that held my name in my scratchy handwriting and pulled out one of my saving graces at this school. My grandpa’s old acoustic. I took the case in my left hand as I let my right fingertips dance along the other cabinets as I made my way to the back of the class room.

I sat myself down on the cushioned window seat and took out my guitar. I closed my eyes and strummed a few chords, not once fighting the smile that appeared on my face. Without even realizing my fingers began playing the one song I had just finished last week. Knowing I’d be alone I began to sing the words I had written.

The night smells like December,
And we’re deep undercover,
Staking out what could be better than all the money in the world.


My feelings have been going haywire these past few weeks. Having to be so close to someone I barely even know, actually practicing kisses—at and not at practice.

And I am watching you
And I am waiting for the perfect time to start participating;
And you signal me to stay
But I open my mouth anyway.


Quinn was actually trying to get to know me, as a person. Mikey’s threatened him a few times, telling him if he does anything to me he’d kill him. We’re not even friends; I don’t know what he’s so worried about.

Now it’s over, we’re goners,
It’s out of our control.
And if there’s one thing that I know,
It’s that it’s best to let it roll,
So let’s just let it roll,
Let’s just let it roll.


Gerard’s distanced himself from even Mikey. I tried to apologize for that day a while back but he refuses to even be in my presence. If I approach him Bert stands in front of him like he’s his body guard or something. It’s driving me insane.

Your hazel eyes paralyze my sense,
Cut me down to size defenseless,
I’m defenseless.


He watched me yesterday; all day. The moments, in which our eyes met, it was as if my brain had lost it’s will to function. This cannot be good. I let my mind turn back to my song.

And I know it’s late but I am waiting
for the moment that I’ve been anticipating,
and I signal you to go, where it will take us, I don’t know.

And now it’s over, we’re goners
It’s out of our control,
And if there’s one thing that I know,
It’s that it’s best to let it roll.
So let’s just let it roll,
Let’s just let it roll.

Just don’t waste your night before it’s started,
Make sure I’m worth every single second, yeah.

And now it’s over, we’re goners.
It’s out of our control,
And if there’s one thing that I know,
It’s that it’s best to just let it roll.
So let’s just let it roll.
Let’s just let it roll.

And now it’s over, we’re goners.
It’s out of our control,
And if there’s one thing that I know,
It’s that it’s best to just let it roll.
So let’s just let it roll.
Let’s just let it roll.


I heard a small clap of appraise beside me. My eyes quickly shot open and took in the form of Quinn.

“I’m sorry Frank, I, I didn’t mean to interrupt. Mr. Sanchez thought we should run through some lines together. He’s finally letting us do that infamous first meeting in front of the cast tomorrow. I didn’t know you played. I play a little too.”

I smiled up at him as I offered him my guitar; the first person besides family to ever touch it. He looked affronted but quickly hid it with a small smile as he took the guitar and positioned himself according.

“That was a nice song, did you write it?”

I nodded as he strummed a few chords; I’d heard this song before, but on piano. Bert was singing it earlier today.

“Who wrote that song? You or Bert? I heard him singing it in class.”

He kept strumming, occasionally humming along.

“He did, but I helped him with the melody. Lyrics are his thing, the actual music is mine. You ready to practice?”

I nodded as he handed me back my guitar and watched me silently as I replaced it in its case. I walked over to my cabinet, putting it away before returning to the window seat. Here went another afternoon spent in the presence of Romeo.
♠ ♠ ♠
the song is not mine, it's "let it roll" by secondhand serenade.