Status: completed; oneshot.

Magic

Burdens

Abbey missed Peter. She longed for him still.

Especially in those extremely lonely nights where she wanted nothing more than to hold onto him. That wouldn’t happen though, because she had already let him go. She had set him free of the burden weighing him down.

That burden was Abbey herself.

Peter had finished med school, and was offered a big-time job at a hospital in California.

Going to California was going to offer a better life for him. Abbey couldn’t give him anything but a lousy future. She could see it. She realized that in the same moment she saw a yes on her pregnancy test. Abbey would only give him a life with a screaming child and little money in their bank account.

Peter wasn’t sure about California yet, but Abbey wanted him to go.

She loved him so much; she’d do anything to see him excel in life.

She’d break her own heart if she needed to. And of course, Abbey did exactly that. She ended it with him, saying that she just couldn’t stay with him any longer.

She offered no reasons. Peter asked, but she ignored him and left, taking more than one shattered heart out the door with her.

Though she knew it was wrong, Abbey didn’t tell him about the baby. She couldn’t—she knew then he’d stay for sure, determined to raise the child and give it the best life he could. Abbey couldn’t allow that. She’d have to do that for the baby. Peter had to give himself the best life he could, now.

And if he didn’t, all the pain Abbey went through would be for nothing.

--

Abbey’s breathing was steady and even as she slept.

She dreamt of Peter. His handsome face, his charming laugh, his quick, witty words.

In her dream, it was almost like he never left for California. She smiled in her sleep, her heart content at the moment as Peter held her close. Her heart wasn’t grieving at the moment, like all other seconds of the day.

She had never missed someone quite so terribly before Peter.

Peter and Abbey, in her dream, were just sitting on a hill, watching the sunset.

Abbey had no idea where they actually were, because as far as she knew, her town didn’t have any tall hills with spectacular views like that.

Peter leaned over and kissed Abbey’s cheek, making her laugh.

A rainbow came over them, and no matter how cliché it was, Abbey’s heart jumped with love and hope.

Somewhere inside of her, Abbey knew she’d see Peter again.

She didn’t know how long it’d be, but she’d see Peter again.

Peter, then, as the dream was ending, gave Abbey another kiss and pulled a necklace out of his back pocket. It was lovely, and it sparkled in the orange of the sunset.

He put it on her, and the sun finally finished setting.

That’s when Abbey awoke, only to see that the sun was rising.

Abbey felt something stir inside of her. This was more than a coincidence. Her personal sun was rising. It was her time to step up.

She knew things would get better soon. Smiling softly to herself, Abbey saw something glitter as she looked down.

It was the crystal necklace Peter had put on her in her dream.

She gasped quietly, and touched it, making sure it was real. Her lips twisted up again, and she felt like a small girl again, thinking magic is real.

She knew magic wasn’t real, but hey. Love was.

And Abbey thought that love came pretty close to magic. As she shut her eyes again, Abbey let herself wander back into her dreams, allowing her heart to feel and wish and want whatever it pleased.
♠ ♠ ♠
Not my best. :S
But, I'd love to know what you thought.
Hinthint.
:D