Status: Completed

You Can't Be Missed If You Never Go Away

Just keep on keeping your eyes on me

Jack set the champagne flute down on the table and looked longingly across the table at his girlfriend. She looked so stunning in her strapless dress. Her blue eyes were lined with black liner, blended into a neutral, slightly sparkly eye shadow while her cheeks glowed from the slight amount of blush she had used. Loose spiral curls fell away from her face as she lifted her champagne flute to her glossy lips.

Conversation seemed awkward and forced, so the two just sat there. Jack kept checking his large silver watch and Steff tugged on her necklace nervously as they waited for their dinner.

Something felt wrong, Steff knew it too. She started to dig her silver nails into the fabric of her dress as she looked at the dark haired boy who seemed to be lost in thought. He looked so striking in his black tuxedo, almost reminiscent of James Bond. A frown tugged on his lips as the blonde let out a sigh and looked away.

"Steff, can we talk?" Jack asked, reaching across the table and placing his hand over her open one, which had been placed on the table moments ago, locking their fingers loosely.

“About what, Jack?” she questioned, staring into his dark brown eyes as he bit his lip and dug his free hand into the pocket of his pants.

“I’ve been thinking lately and…”

Steff turned away, finding a sudden interest in the wallpaper. She could feel tears starting to form, so she blinked her eyes and bit her bottom lip.

“Steff, why do you look like you’re going to cry?” Jack worried. “I haven’t even finished my thought yet.”

“You don’t need to,” she said, voice shaking as she looked at him. “Look, I know what you’re going to say. You’ve been thinking and you don’t think we’re working out anymore. I get it. I’m not Kyraleigh and I never…”

“Steff,” Jack cut her off, getting up from his seat and moving so he could kneel in front of her. He took both of her hands in his and looked up into her beautiful dark blue eyes. “Do you even hear what you’re saying?”

“Y-yes,” she sniffled, blinking and looking at her lap as a few tears rolled down her cheeks.

“Steff,” Jack smiled softly, letting go of her hands so he could wipe the tears away from her eyes before he let his hand drop to her neck so he could lift the Tiffany key necklace that he had given her for their six-month anniversary. “Do you think I would give you this and not really mean it when I said that I was giving you the key to my heart?”

“No, but…”

“Then why are you worrying?” he asked, dropping his hand and fishing something out of his pocket.

“I-I don’t know. I’m just worried that I’m going to lose you,” she admitted in a soft whispered.

“Well if you’d just let me finish,” Jack teased as he adjusted how he was kneeling so he was on one knee. Steff felt her cheeks heating up as Jack rested his left hand on his knee and took her right hand in his. By the time his mouth opened, she had her free hand over hers to keep from looking like an idiot.

“We’ve been through a lot,” Jack smiled, locking his gaze with hers. “You know it as well as I do. When we started being a fake couple, I never imagined anything would come of it. But something did, and I fell for you, I fell harder than I have ever fallen for any girl before. You got me through some of the most ridiculous times, and I know I can count on you to stay with me through whatever shit the world throws at us. Stephanie, you are, without a doubt, the best thing that has ever happened to me. I love you, and there aren’t enough words in the world for me to describe it.

“I know that our pasts aren’t perfect, but I want to spend the perfect future with you. I promise that I'll always be your knight in shining armor, there to protect you from everything that life throws at you, I'll catch when you stumble, protect you when you're scared, and hold you when you're feeling down. You can always count on me, Stephanie, and I will never break that promise.”

He let go of her hand so he could open the red box he had been holding against his knee to reveal a large, antique diamond set in a silver band. Steff’s jaw dropped as she glanced down at it.

“Stephanie, will you marry me?”

Steff didn’t respond with words. Tears stained her cheeks she grabbed Jack’s face in her hands and leaned over to press her lips against his. When she pulled her lips away from his, she smiled coyly and whispered, “Yes, Jack, I’d love to marry you.”

-x-

Alex’s lips brushed against Kyra’s cheek before he shoved his hand into the pocket on the left side of his tuxedo pants nervously. His knee was bouncing as they sat on the couch in the foyer of the posh restaurant he had made reservations for weeks ago.

“Alex, can you calm down?” Kyra whispered, placing her hand on his bouncing knee. “You’re worrying me.”

“I’m sorry, it’s just that it’s almost eight-thirty and the reservation was for eight and if we aren’t finished by nine forty…” he stopped himself, clutching his hand in his pocket tightly as Kyra looked at him.

“Why are you so nervous, Lex?” she whispered, reaching up to brush the coffee hair from his eyes.

“I just want this night to be amazing, Kyraleigh,” he sighed, glancing down at his lap.

“Alexander, any night is amazing as long as I’m with you,” she whispered. “I’d be just as content with strolling through the park and stopping for hot dogs as I would be here.”

“Really?” he asked, glancing up at her. She nodded, her now golden brown tresses bouncing as she smiled at him. He licked his lips nervously before standing up. “You know what, forget this place. Let’s go walk around the city.”

“That sounds great…”

“Mr. Gaskarth, your table is ready,” the host said as he entered the foyer, dressed in a simple cream suit.

“You know, something came up, and we need to get going. Give it to the next couple that comes in,” Alex said, grabbing Kyra’s hand and pulling her out of the restaurant before the host could answer him.

“So you just bail on reservations?” Kyra giggled, running her hands across her bare arms as the breeze outside picked up.

“Normally, no, but your comment about hot dogs in the park sounded really good,” he smiled, sliding his tuxedo jacket off and resting it over Kyra’s shoulders. She thanked him as he took her delicate hand in his and they started towards the park.

They walked in silence towards the park, just happy to be in the presence of one another, letting the bustling sounds of the city on a Saturday night fill their ears. The sky was slowly getting darker as they approached the park, lit by antique looking lampposts. Kyra pulled Alex closer and wrapped her arm around his. He smiled softly and pressed his lips to her temple before they continued down the path silently, with the exception of her clicking heels, stopping at a little hot dog cart parked by a large tree. Alex ordered two hot dogs with the works from the owner of the cart and left a generous tip before he and Kyra continued on their way.

To say Kyra felt silly was an understatement. She was wearing a three hundred and fifteen dollar dress and a pair of heels that had cost her one hundred and fifty dollars. Alex had encouraged her to buy something fancy for whatever he had planned and they were now strolling through a park eating seven-dollar hot dogs. She loved the boy to death and thought that it was great to walk through the park with him, but some days she wished he would not take her words so literally.

“Kyra, do you believe in forever?” Alex asked, leading her across the stone bridge that created a path over the pond, once they had finished eating. The stars and moon reflected off the calm, glassy surface, creating a very soft glow over the otherwise unlit area.

“Yes, I do,” she said, leaning her elbows on the ledge and looking out across the water. “Why, Alex?”

“Because I want to spend forever with you, Kyraleigh,” Alex whispered, snaking his arms around her. “I want to wake up every morning knowing that I have such a beautiful woman in my life. I want to go to bed every night that I am home from touring knowing that I will wake up next to you. I want to be able to go on tour and know that you are always going to be at home waiting for me. I want to hear your lovely voice every day, no matter what. I love you so much. I don’t want to risk losing you ever again. I know I have been an idiot, and I know I have screwed up, but I’m only human. I make mistakes just like everyone else, but I know for a fact that I will never, ever stop loving you.”

He rested his hands between hers and flipped open a small wooden box to reveal a silver band with three diamonds in it.

“Kyraleigh, will you marry me?” he asked.

She bit her lip as tears welled up in her eyes, “Yes, Alex. I’d love to.”

He took the ring out of the box and slid it onto her left ring finger. She held her hand out and admired the ring for a moment before spinning around to face him. He held her hips close to his as he pressed his lips against hers gently.

Kyra giggled as Alex pulled his lips away from the kiss and smiled at her.

“I love you, Alexander.”

"I love you too, Kyraleigh,” Alex whispered, pulling his fiancé into a tight hug. “Forever and always, Kyra, I promise, and it’s a promise I will always keep.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Steff's Outfit
Jack'sOutfit & the ring
Kyra's Outfit
Alex's Outfit & the ring

So, this is officially the end of the story. I honestly feel like a little part of me is dying with the end of this story, because I felt so honored to work on it with Steff. Never, in a million years, would I have been able to even imagine I would be part of a story like this. So thank you, Steff, for giving me the chance to work on this with you.

Thank you to everyone who has been reading and to anyone who may stumble across these two stories and read them in the future. :)