Status: active but, coming along slowly :]

Better Off Dead Than Alive In Here

Chapter 16

The first horseback riding class I had was fine. The kids seemed to actually want to know about the horses. Mikayla took a liking to Eddy the moment she saw him. I had little kids running up to me the whole class asking me what this horse's name is, or what that horse likes to do. We ended the class sitting in a circle laughing and playing a name game.

We heard a loud bell ring and I looked down at my phone. "Alright guys, it's time to go to your next class."

The kids said goodbye and all left in different directions. I smiled looked into the barn. Nate, Alex, and Drew were all walking out.

"How was your first class?" asked Drew.

"It was surprisingly good," I smiled back.

"Alright, for this one we have to help," said Alex.

"Yeah, all we do is basically whatever you tell us to do," said Nate.

"Alright, Nate," I laughed, "can you guys start by helping me give them some feed?"

"Yeah," they all said, and Nate saluted me.

There were a few kids who were starting to come in, so I said, "Hey, guys. Just sit tight on the bleachers for a second."

They all moved to the bleachers without saying anything to me. I sighed and kept listening to Drew as he was telling me a story about Razz. He apparently broke the breakfast circle rail with all the other horses clipped onto it. I laughed when he told me about a girl who totally freaked out and had to walk the whole way back to the barn with him. Drew didn't have a problem with it, but the girl took a few steps that she probably shouldn't have.

When all of the horses on our side had oats we waited for Nate and Alex to finish up. Once they were done we walked over to the bleachers. I saw a good amount of kids sitting down on the bleachers. Most were in Silver, but I did see two Golds. Andy Mortek and Adam Siska were both sitting on the far end of the bleachers away from everyone else. They were in a deep whispering conversation.

I looked at the guys behind me and then back at the kids.

"Alright! Listen up!" I tried to get everyone's attention. "If you didn't already know, my name is Lily Andrews, but you can call me Lily.

"These guys behind me," I pointed to the guys as I said their names, "are Alex Gaskarth, Nate Novarro, and Drew Thomas. If any of you are disrespectful to them or myself you will be kick out of this class faster than you can say Blink-182." The guys laughed and Alex muttered some appropriate blink lyrics.

"I'm going to start off asking a few basic questions. Answer truthfully, because it will make a huge difference in the class," I said.

I asked them the basic questions about their skill level. The most any of these kids could do was trot, I sighed and looked back at the guys, "We have a lot of work to do."

They all smiled and laughed at me.

"So, we're going to take a walk today, and then start the real work tomorrow. I want everyone to form a line in the middle of the stall and wait for one of the guys, or myself to come and get you a horse." I just wanted to see how each kid was at riding.

"Drew you lead, Nate you carry the end, and Alex take the middle of the line. I am going to be moving up and down the line to just observe." I said.

"Awe do I have to," said Nate.

"Yes," I smiled, "you do."

Nate frowned, "I get to lead tomorrow!"

"Okay, Nate," I said.

I looked at the line that the kids had formed. I grabbed the first girl and looked her up and down. She was shorter than me, so I put her on Red Ribbon.

I had put 3 more kids on horses, when Anna came running up to me, "Hey, sorry I was late. There was a problem with one of the girls in my bunk."

"No problem," I smiled, "Mariah is all saddled up on the counselor side. You are going to take the front middle and Alex will be behind you, okay?"

Anna smile, "None of them can trot, can they?"

I laughed and nodded, "Not a single one, so congrats! You are officially the best horseback riding camper here."

Anna laughed and walked over to the counselor side. There were only 2 people left, and Nate, Alex, and Drew had already gotten onto their horses. I went back to the line and saw that the last two kids were of course Adam and Andy. I sighed and grabbed Adam first. I set him up on his horse without saying anything. I grabbed Andy and did the same thing. Once they were both ready I started leading people out on to the path. When everyone was out I ran back to Montana and got onto her quickly. I trotted out of the gate and saw that the line had almost gotten to the path split.

"Hold up!" I called out.

I cantered towards the group and gave Drew the all-good sign when I had seen all of the kids on the horses.

He started walking again and the line kept moving. I watched the girls looking petrified and the guys all playing it 'cool'.

This was going to be a fun class, I could tell.
♠ ♠ ♠
80 comments 100 readers 29 subscribers

So about 1 out of 3 of you wonderful 100 readers subscribe.

My 29 subscribers, I love you. Thanks for being the 1 out of the 3 to subscribe. You all get a virtual hug from Lily Anna and I :)

My 80 commenters I love you more. Your feedback is the shiz, no lie :)

My 100 readers, please don't be silent. Tell me if you love it or hate it. I really don't know about it anymore.

Thanks,
Claire