Status: active but, coming along slowly :]

Better Off Dead Than Alive In Here

Chapter 2

'Come on, on more jump and we have it!' I thought to myself.

I had done the course and now Montana and I were at the hardest jump for her. We were heading straight at the hurdle. I closed my eyes and remembered I didn't have any of my protective gear on. I shot my eyes open and saw Montana going for the jump. I braced myself for the worst until I felt myself still on the Montana, who was doing a victory lap. Anna started to cheer for me and I thought I heard Andy Mortek clapping, but...

"Lily, that was amazing!" I heard Anna yell.

I trotted over to her and said, "Thanks, I was so scared at the,"

"Alright, great. Emo stable girl can jump. Let's go back to the real world now?" William cut me off.

"Will," Anna started, but I stopped her.

"Alright Anna, I'm gonna let you do this one alone. Can you do it?" I asked.

Her eyes brightened, but gave me a 'he shouldn't get away with that look'.

"Alright," Anna said.

I helped her get all of the horses out. I told her I was going to ride ahead and meet her at the barn to put the horses away. I left after everything was ready to go and started to cantor back to the barn. Pete was waiting there for me. I laughed when he waved with his goofy little wave and hurried to put Montana away. Once she was hooked up I ran over to Pete and gave him a hug

"Hey short stuff! What's happening?" he asked while helping Anna get Andy off of Cody.

I was getting Adam off of Cowboy and replied, "Nothing much. When did you get here?" I was helping William down now. He hopped off and stared at me... Well it was more like him looking down at me. He's like six feet, or taller, and I'm only 5'3". He gave me this intense look I had never seen before. I gave him the halter and looked away embarrassed.

"Well, I was watching lil' dude while Ashlee was shopping and then I came here like 10 minutes ago and guess what!? All of my horses were gone! Then I saw you and now here we are! With horses of course." I smiled and laughed. Pete always knew how to make me feel better. Lil' dude, or Bronx, was his new baby son. Ashlee is his wife. They are basically like my extended family. Pete and Ashlee are my Uncle and Aunt, and Bronx is my cousin. We had a whole talk about this one day.... Don't ask.

Finally I got to take Mike off of Razz. "Sit, quickly," I told him. Mike ran over to the bleachers and joined the others.

"Pete, Razz!" I called out and let Razz go.He took off like a bullet out of a gun. Pete, Anna, and I laughed while the others stared after him.

Once I had unsaddled all of the horses (with Pete's help) and put everything away I talked with Pete for a while. He said his band had a gig tonight at the local bar called Harold's. There were a few other bands too, but he didn't mention the names.

The guys and Anna were still sitting on the bench. I smiled at Anna and patted the seat next to me.

She ran over to the stalls and sat on the empty concrete.

"Well, do you all need me to walk you back to the house?" They were sitting there like they were waiting for someone to walk them back.

"We can take it from here emo," William daunted.

Pete knew all about the William thing "Bill..."

William paid no attention to Pete, "I'll see you later Pete. Anna, let's go."

"I think I'm going to stay Will," Anna said calmly, "besides Mom wants to talk with Lily and Pete."

William gave a small frown, "Alright, but I don't want you hanging out with the stable trash all summer Anna."

"Will, that's enough!" Pete yelled.

"Mom's coming," Anna said quietly.

"How was your ride darlings?" Mr. Beckett asked. Everyone gave a small nod or "okay" answer. "Great! Anna and Pete, can I talk to you in the office for a few minutes?" We nodded and followed Mrs. Beckett into the office.

"Pete, since you are the head of the barn, so I have asked you to be here as well. Lily, your mother and I have talked this over already and she supports it 100%. We would like you to council at the Country Club for the summer. In the morning you would teach riding classes. In the afternoon and evening you would be a counselor for the kids. You would live in a dorm with all of the other workers, and I believe Pete knows them all too. He can introduce you. Meals, showers, and other necessities will be provided to you. Each week's pay is $200. What do you say?"

I was stunned. This was the perfect job for me. Riding, Pete, and free lodging/meals. The counselor part couldn't be that hard, I babysit for Anna...

"Sure," I said.

Mr. Beckett gave me a wide smile, "Wonderful! You will be working Monday through Friday for riding and Monday through Saturday for leadering. Riding is 9:00 to 11:00. There are two, one hour classes then lunch at 11:30. After lunch Pete has a schedule of things for you and the kid to do. On Friday we have a camp out for the older kids. Once a week you have an off day where you can do whatever you please. The kids range in age from 10 to 18. There are 8 weeks of camp. Some of the kids stay one week, but most stay all 8 weeks. You are a group leader for the Golds with Alex Gaskarth, Gabe Saporta, and Travis Clark. This will be the normal group of leaders you will be in. You will get a schedule at the beginning of the week that tells you what happening at all times. You'll get a med pack to carry at all times. Twice a week you will have to sleep with the campers. They go to sleep at 10:00 and you have to stay up until midnight to assure they stay asleep. If you use anything that could possibly disturb the campers please put blankets over your bunk so that they cannot see it. In the morning they wake up at 7:00 when the morning counselor comes in. You can go to breakfast or sleep in your dorm until the lessons start. Breakfast is at 8:00 so you can go to that too. I believe that is it. Anything else Pete?"

"Nope," Pete said with a smile.

"Okay then you may want to hurry to the kitchen. I heard that Andrew is making burgers for lunch." Mrs. Beckett said.

"We'll get going then do we need to pack Lily's things?" he said.

"No, her mother has already packed up all of the things she will need. If you could take Lily to pick up her things and then to the dorm that would be great," she said.

Pete smiled. "Sure thing Mrs. Beckett. Are the other leaders already there?" he said.

"Yes. They are all up in the dorm now I guess. You may want to be quick if you want to make it in time for lunch." she said quickly.

We both stood up. "Thank you so much Mrs. Beckett," I said.

She smiled, "It's no problem Lily. You are perfect for the job. Now go quickly!"

Pete and I both said goodbye before running out of the barn. I gave him a huge hug.

"Did you know about this?" I asked.

Pete frowned, "Not until she told you! Dude this is gonna be a wicked summer. Wait till you meet everyone! There all cool. Most are guys but there's one girl, I'll introduce you to everyone later, but now let's go get your stuff."

I smiled and nodded. I was so excited for this summer. Maybe these people would be my friends, and not judge me for what my personality is like. Time would only tell what would lie ahead for me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Like it?

subcribe

and

comment ?

:]