Best Thing In Town

Eleven.

The school week dragged on and Friday was finally here again. I couldn't have been more thankful. After a stressful week, there's nothing better than unwinding on Friday night.

As for Billie, I saw him occasionally in the hallway. Before last weekend, I didn't even know we went to the same school. It's funny how you begin to notice certain things after meeting someone new. We exchanged smiles and "sup nods" when we passed each other, but nothing more. One of the reasons this week had been so stressful was because I spent a good part of it convincing my brain to stop thinking about him. It worked. Sometimes.

Walking to the parking lot after school, someone called my name. I swiftly turned around and saw a boy I had known for quite a while. "Hey there, Carson!" I smiled geniunely and walked to the front of my car where he stood.

He smiled back, his laugh lines becoming apparent. "I'm having a party tonight, and I want you to come!" I barely heard his words because I was distracted by his dirty blond hair shining in the sun. It was so pretty.

"Oh, that'd be awesome! Yeah, I'll be there." I confirmed, stumbling on my words a little bit as I was brought back down to earth to his blue eyes.

He nodded contently and was on his way. I stood there for a moment, stunned. That was the first time I had actually been invited to a party. Usually I just showed up, by myself whenever I did go. Now I was feeling kind of estatic and couldn't wait for the night to begin. As I analyzed my thoughts, I was feeling a little strange too, because I was actually feeling happy to have plans with people. I've lived the past year convincing myself that people only end up hurting me. But here I was happy to have plans.

And then I thought something that I didn't want to think. Maybe Billie Joe would be there.