Best Thing In Town

Eighteen.

His eyes washed over. "You were getting sick." Simply stated, but not the answer I was looking for.

"Why didn't you just leave me there then?" I said slowly, it was the only way I could speak without sending my body into complete pain overload, because it was close enough. "Wait, I didn't even know you were there." My words became smaller at the end of my statement as my brain had suddenly realized most of last night. The beginning of it, anyway, and why I was there.

"I wasn't." He stated, looking ahead of him. "I showed up later, and--" He looked across the seat over at me, his black eye seemingly more dramatic than I remembered from five minutes ago.

"What happened? And what time is it? Am I okay? Where the hell are we?" Finally. My rational thoughts started to kick in after a solid seven minutes.

"Four in the morning. Not sure on the exact time. Yes, you're okay. Your stomach may be swore for the next few days from all the puking, but you're okay--" I winced at the thought of me being sick, but at least I didn't remember it. "And it's just a field. We're only a few miles from town."

All of his words were said while he was looking out the window, and once he was finished, he glanced over his shoulder. By my lack of response, he continued. "I didn't know where you lived, and I couldn't take you back to my place because that would look bad," he said in one breath. "I didn't know what else to do."

I nodded, not knowing if I was upset, and looked at the dashboard.

"He was trying to sleep with you, Logan."

"What?"

"Carson. He was going to sleep with you. And you were drunk. And he was―" He stopped, blinked heavily before keeping his eyes closed.

As soon as the words escaped his mouth, I tried hard to remember if that actually happened, but the harder I thought, the more intense my head ached. I stopped and decided I'd think about it later. But even though I settled on that, it still didn't stop me from asking. "So why would you care?"

I looked at him and he looked at me. "That's a stupid question." He stated half angry and half distant. "There's nothing right with a guy taking advantage of a drunk girl."

I wanted to glare at him, and so I did. But beneath my glare was admiration. "None of your damn business anyway." I struggled slightly and hiked myself on my knees and turned to face him. I twisted around me briefly, opened the dashboard and got out a few napkins. I'm not sure why I had the preconceived idea that they would be there, but that's where I kept mine. I took a water bottle from the floor and dabbed it onto a napkin.

He didn't say much. I wasn't sure if I expected him to. "I'm not some sap who needs saving." Harsh words for such a gentle hand. I continued to wipe the dry blood from underneath his nose and keep my eyes anywhere but in contact with his.

His head fell softly then. And when it did, I placed the tips of my fingers underneath his chin and raised it back up. Holding it there, just to look. "But thanks anyway."