Best Thing In Town

Twenty-Five.

"Billie! If you drop me, I swear I will—" My shriek is cut off by Billie jolting his arms that are around my waist for a split second to give me a scare. "That wasn't funny!"

He laughs warmly against the back of neck and I smile helplessly. I am enjoying this time with him so much, my head is spinning and I know it has little to do with alcohol since I stopped drinking a few hours ago. As soon as he had finished playing some songs for everyone, he found me and Mike on the stairs and with a quick glance to Mike that I caught, he stole me away. We'd been kissing in all sorts of place ever since—in the door frame of the bathroom, against the refrigerator, even on the coffee table briefly.

"Hell no!" I see he is trying to take me out in the backyard, where the rain is pouring without mercy. "No, seriously! Put me down!" I squirm, but he only laughs louder and brings my back tighter against his chest. "Billie Joe!"

I watch with wide eyes while he kicks the back door open sloppily, but successfully and now there's nothing in between me and the rain.

"What do you hope to gain out of this?" I ask him quietly.

As he walks forward through the threshold, his grip never faltering, he says through a half hearted chuckle: "Ha. That's a good question."

His voice is surprisingly sullen. I open my mouth to say something to him, although I am not sure what I would say, but the rain has begun to hit my face.

And I am smiling. Billie's arms have loosened and he sets me down in front of him while we stand in the middle of the muddy yard. He is looking down at me, covered in moonlight and raindrops with a beaming smile. My own smile is so wide and my heart is beating so wildly, I feel water on the edge of eyelids. As I am staring at him through the pouring rain, I want to cry. Because every nerve in my body is floating and my mind is somewhere in the sky, but my eyes are set on him.

His usual curls are plastered to his skin, that is glowing under the night. The skin around his eyes are magnificently crinkled under his smile and he is not doing anything besides looking at me through the rain—just as I am looking at him.

"I never thought I would feel this much just standing in the rain," I say more to myself than to him. He hears me regardless. I look down at the ground to see our shoes covered in grass and mud. He is standing so close to me.

"Logan." His voice beckons my eyes to look up into his. "Are you..." he pauses cautiously and takes a step closer to me. "Why are you crying?" His cold fingertips take away the strands of hair that have fallen over my eye.

I am just shaking my head very slowly at him while giving him a sort of sad smile. He sees through that.

In the distance, the thunder is low rumble. It shakes the earth gently with it.

Under his gaze, for the first time in my life, my thoughts have stopped. And for the first time in my life, I say what exactly what I want to. "Billie, I want you to kiss me."

There is no space between my words and his actions: as if he has known the entire time. His lips are moving on top of mine in a way that makes me feel like I am a part of him, a part of the rain, a part of the grass and mud that cover our shoes. The rain is cold, but he is warm. As we are kissing, both of our hands are by our sides. Our bodies are completely separated, only connected by the lips. And I have never felt so close to him.

The rain comes down harder and just as I am sure I cannot hold myself up any longer, his hands find me. And I fall completely into him.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's coming to an end... And I'm getting kind of emotional about it. I mean after three and half years, how could I not! Before I get too sappy, I would really like to say thank you to everyone who has ever read this, commented, recommended, subscribed, anything. I appreciate it so completely that it's ridiculous! Know that you all mean a lot to me. :)