Best Thing In Town

Six.

My stomach started turning. He was only sitting next to me.

"Hey," came his husky almost-whisper. Billie placed the salt shaker down and turned his body towards mine. All of the air swelled in my lungs. Just so damn attractive. "I feel really bad. About last night."

"You mean the parts that you actually remember?" I chuckled and nudged his arm like we had been pals for years. He just kind of had that vibe surrounding him. He was a genuine guy.

His lips stretched into a smile and he nodded. "I'm not the smoothest guy when I'm wasted off my ass."

I tilted my head without realizing it. "So that wasn't smooth? Hell, I'd hate to deal with you sober." I paused. He was sober right now, obviously. "I mean, when you're trying to be suave and stuff. You know."

Minus five points for being an idiot.

He smirked. He knew too much. "So whatcha up to for the rest of the day?" Billie Joe picked up the salt shaker again.

"Absolutely nothing."

While he was fumbling with the salt container, it slipped between his fingers and fell on the table. He didn't bother to pick it up and instead turned to face me for the second time. "I know it may seem kinda forward, but wanna spend the day with me?"

By my lack of response, he started up again. "We could check out a music store or somethin'; you're into music, right? Or you could meet some of my friends. Or we could just make out somewhere."

I almost choked on my water and had to bury my face quickly in my arms before I had liquid come out of my nose. My shoulders were shaking violently from laughing until I finally chilled out.

I cleared my throat and tucked my hair behind my ear casually. "Yeah, that sounds cool."

"We'll do it in that order then." He smiled sweetly and tiredly, and we left.

I was losing my composure. Everything I had always preached, "don't get attatched to another person. People only end up letting you down." Yeah, where did that go, Logan? This was ridiculous. I know I'm not attatched to him or anything, but anyone with eyes could see where this "friendship" was going. Straight to hell.

"I don't drive much," Billie said suddenly. I looked over at him; he kicked the dirt on the sidewalk.

"Me either. Why don't you?" I snuck a peek over at him, and almost felt my stomach do a complete 360. And then I mentally slapped myself. Someone this pathetic deserved it.

Keep your cool, just keep your cool.

"Don't see the point of it. Yeah, I'll drive if I'm going someplace far, but other than that. It just ends up getting in the way." He rubbed his eyes before looking at me. "What about you? Why don't you drive a lot?"

"Just ends up getting in the way." I smiled smugly while his lips smirked.