Number One

/03

Brooke's POV.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
There was a knock on my door a minute after I retreated back to my room from down the hall. I had just started to read my new book, and again I had to get up. When I reached my bedroom door I turned up the heat in my room a notch, unlocked the door and opened the door.

"Brookie.. I can't sleep." Jakie said.

"Come on..." I sighed.

He walked in and I closed and locked the door.

"You can sleep on my bed."

"Thanks sissy."

"No problem bro."

I opened my book and put on my reading glasses, determined to finish at least a few chapters.

"Sissy...," Jakie's voice said, "whats it gonna be like here?"

I sighed and put my book down onto my lap.

"Jakie, I don't know. I'm sure school will be fine, I'm sure that this neighborhood is welcoming-- I just met the neighbors! And I'm pretty sure if anyone beats you up, I'll kick their ass. Cause no one fucks with my brother." I said, violently standing up and walking over to Jakie. My voice became normal again at the end of my explanation.

Jakie ginned.

"Now go to bed!" I ordered.

He snuggled into my blankets and I tucked in the sheets around him. I kissed his forehead and shut off the light that was over him.

I walked back over to my blue couch and sat down.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
After a while I took my pod from the table beside me and set it into my already plugged in home. I turned on Forever Young, it was stuck in my head ever since...

"Shit!" I almost yelled.

I forgot his name! How lame is that?

I tried as hard as I could to think of it. It started with a D.

"Daniel... no, no! It was Danny." I said to myself, smiling.

I walked to a box in my room and searched it for a pair of shorts and a tee. Then walked over to the couch, turned off the light by me, and closed my eyes to get some sleep.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
For some reason, I couldn't sleep at all.

My persistence of doing this multiple times was deluding. I was sweating, so I must have gotten an hour of sleep or so.

I walked over to the dial by my door and turned it to 58-ish, and then rubbing my eyes, walked out onto my patio.

I leaned over it, hoping that Jakie wouldn't wake up. I rubbed my eyes and massaged my temples.

What was going on? Was I going insane or something from moving? I was never this temperamental. I felt like I was trapped, and the only thing to get me out was to scream "Help Me" at the top of my lungs.

I sat down against the door, still outside. The cold wood underneath me didn't help my frustration with my mood.

I listened to the music inside and shut my eyes, trying to focus on silence.

That didn't work either.

Downstairs, the light turned on, I knew this because it cast shadows all about the space between Danny's and our house. My dad must have been up because the scent of a cigar was strong. It passed up my way. I decided not to be difficult so I stayed outside, burying my head into my knee.

He went inside when he was done, and the world seemed like it was mine, all mine.

I didn't know how long this feeling would last, but I knew my mood had changed in a split second.

I was actually looking forward to Silver Valley, Colorado.