Status: Finished

Everyone Pretends They're Happy

Too Soon

Garrett and I were silent for a few minutes. I sat on my chair in front of my desk and Garrett sat on my bed.
‘‘I’m sorry, Garrett.’’ I started, not taking my eyes off the screen. ‘‘I just…don’t like to talk about New York. Maybe one day you’ll find out why, but now, just know that I don’t want to think about it.’’ I told him, turning my head to see him nodding ever so slightly.
‘‘I just want to be able to talk to you about things. You’re one of the only girls that I’ve met that doesn’t have a clue who I am. You talk to me normally and make conversation without asking questions about my band.’’ I cocked my head to the side.
‘‘I don’t have a clue who you are?’’ I asked him, confused.
‘‘Don’t get me wrong, its not something I’m complaining about.’’ He started. He got up from his position on my bed and stood next to me then started typing something in on my laptop. After a few minutes of waiting for a page to load, there it was. Evidence that The Maine was bigger then I actually thought. I was lost for words to be honest. When he told me they were travelling I didn’t realise it was for big tours…that’s how much attention I paid to bands these days. My music variety wasn’t too big.
‘‘Well…you can still talk to me, finding this out wont change anything between us, or the guys. Just please, don’t think I’m perfect. Anything, but that.’’ I told him.
‘‘I promise.’’ He stated and smiled. His face was inches from my own. He leaned a little closer, but I couldn’t let anything happen. As he leaned in to kiss me I turned my head. I felt his lips brush my cheek and he stood up straight.
‘‘Its too soon for that, Garrett.’’ I said, apologetically.
‘‘Its ok, I should’ve known.’’ He ran his hands through his hair, sighed then left my room.
‘‘Honey, are you there?’’ I heard my mom’s familiar voice.
I’d forgotten Garrett had made my webcam turn itself on and connect to my mom’s computer automatically. That would need to change. I didn’t want her to see or hear anything I didn’t want her too…that previous scene for example. I opened my webcam window and saw her peering into her camera, as if getting that close would make her see me.
‘‘Hey, mom.’’ I said as I turned my microphone on so I could talk to her.
‘‘I’ve missed you, honey! Now, tell me all.’’ She beamed.
I knew this was going to be a long conversation.
***
‘‘Evie! Pizza’s here!’’ I heard someone shout up the stairs to me. I was still talking to my mom, it had been about five hours, but she just couldn’t say goodbye.
‘‘Mom, my stomach is going to eat itself so I’m gonna grab some food.’’ I told her getting ready to turn off my laptop.
‘‘Ok sweetie, I’ll talk to you soon. Good night.’’ She smiled and blew a kiss then she disappeared from my screen. I shut everything down and followed the scent of cheese downstairs.
‘‘You almost didn’t get any, Kennedy and Jared hogged most of it.’’ Pat said, shielding his plate with his arm. I took a seat next to him and he slid a plate in my direction. I glanced up to see Garrett sitting across the table. He looked down at his plate, pushed it forward then left the table. I heard footsteps go upstairs and a door close.
‘‘What’s up with him?’’ Jared asked, a mouth full of food.
‘‘He’s mad at himself.’’ John replied, taking a bite of his own pizza. We all turned to look at him waiting for a longer explanation. ‘‘Don’t look at me, I’m not saying no more.’’ He mumbled, holding up his hands in defence.
‘‘I think I know why.’’ I said. I did know why, there was no ‘think’ about it. It was from earlier. The kiss that never happened. The kiss he wanted and I didn’t. ‘‘I don’t feel hungry anymore.’’ I pushed my plate away from me like Garrett had done and stood from my seat. I saw Kennedy and Jared eye up my plate then each other. I didn’t want to stay and see how messy things would end up so I left and walked up the stairs. I wanted to go talk to Garrett. I didn’t want him to be mad at himself or feel awkward around me, that was the last thing I wanted.