Status: Finished

Everyone Pretends They're Happy

I Love You

I slumped into a heap in the middle of the forest where Garrett had taken me to tell me about his big news. I couldn’t stop crying. I was hurt from the fact Harriet had told everyone like she did, I was hurt I had to listen to my past again, but most of all I was hurt that they’d chosen the name we had picked out for our baby that I’d lost. I hadn’t known that until that moment so the pain seemed raw again.
My phone started to ring and I pulled it out of the pocket in my skirt. Garrett’s name flashed up on the screen and I answered it, not actually being able to speak to him properly.
‘‘Will you tell me where you are? I cant find you.’’ Garrett rushed down the phone. ‘‘Its getting dark and I don’t want you out alone when you’re upset.’’ He finished.
‘‘Th-th-the for-forest.’’ I stuttered to him then put the phone down. I continued to cry and clutch my stomach from the sick pains that were growing.
It didn’t take him long to find me. He ran to my side and cradled me in his arms, trying to get me to stop crying and calm down.
‘‘Why did she have to do that, Garrett? What have I done to her to make her do this?’’ I sobbed, controlling my tears.
‘‘Because she’s a bitch. She doesn’t care about anyone but herself. John kicked her out, she has no where to go. He called his mom, told her everything. She told him she’d call social services if she doesn’t want her as a mother.’’ Garrett explained. I expected he thought that would cheer me up slightly, knowing karma has came round and hit her, but it didn’t, I was too hurt to feel happy.
‘‘I hate her, Garrett, I really do.’’ I cried into his chest.
‘‘I know, I hate her too.’’ Garrett replied, kissing the top of my head.
‘‘Not just Harriet, Emily. We grew up together, we were best friends, told each other everything, but she had to go and sleep with the first person I’d ever loved. She didn’t know about my miscarriage but I expect Tyler told her. They chose the same name I was going to call my baby, Garrett. How could someone do that?’’ I tried not to direct my anger at him but it was all coming out anyway.
‘‘Because people are heartless. They don’t care who they hurt as long as they’re happy.’’ He rocked us back and forth and we sat in silence for a short while.
‘‘Do you hate me now? Since I didn’t tell you those things?’’ I asked, breaking the silence we had been consumed in for twenty minutes.
‘‘Of course not! That was your business, I know I pushed to know it but you have a right to keep certain things a secret. You have a right to keep things to yourself that you don’t want people to know. I don’t hate you, Evie. I love you.’’ I froze slightly at his words. I’d never heard those words since Tyler, but he never meant it.
‘‘Can I believe you when you say that? I’ve been hurt before by someone I thought meant it, I don’t want that to happen again, Garrett.’’ I told him, pulling away slightly.
‘‘Yes, you can believe me. I promise. I do love you. I fell for you the moment I laid eyes on you. I knew you were going to be the only person I wanted to be with, the only person I wanted to share my life with, the only person I wanted to grow old with and have our cottage and two kids and be old rock stars and painters together.’’ He let out all in one breath. I smiled at his words and wrapped my arms around his neck, holding him close to me. I never wanted to let go, but at the same time I wanted to go find Harriet and hurt her, badly.