Status: Finished

Everyone Pretends They're Happy

I’ll Introduce You

Harriet had helped me unpack most of my belongings. We’d also had a rather long talk about our art class and how much we were both looking forward to it. She told me that the rest of our house mates would be arriving in about an hour and that there was some huge party going on a few blocks away. I wasn’t so sure about a party though, after a long drive, all I wanted to do was call my parents then sleep.
I finished putting my covers onto my bed flopped down pulling out my cell phone and dialling my old home number. It rang a few times then my mom was on the other end, calling my name as if she hadn’t seen or heard from me in a lifetime.
‘‘Hey mom.’’ I chuckled after she caught her breath.
‘‘Hey honey!’’ My parents said in unison. She no doubt put me on loudspeaker so they could both hear me without her having to repeat herself. That did always annoy her. ‘‘Did you arrive ok?’’ My dad asked. I did have a thought to tell him a tyre flattened so I hitched a ride with a random stranger…but thought better of it.
‘‘Yeah, not a wrong turn once.’’ I boasted proudly to him.
‘‘And how is the house? Is it nice? Clean? How are the people you share it with?’’ My mom rushed out her questions like she had some sort of deadline to talk to me.
‘‘Big, awesome, yes and I haven’t met them all.’’ I answered simply, knowing she’d want me to elaborate on at least one.
‘‘Who have you met?’’ She asked curiously.
‘‘Harriet. The girl I’ve been talking to for the past few month. She’s so nice, very hyper, there shouldn’t be a dull moment.’’ With a party planned on the first day, there couldn’t really be any dull moments.
‘‘Oh, well that’s good.’’ I heard my mom say. ‘‘Do you have any plans for tonight?’’ She asked me sceptically.
I yawned and sighed. ‘‘Sleep is my main priority. That drive has worn me out.’’ I probably sounded like the most boring teenager on the planet to be honest.
‘‘Evie! They’re here.’’ I heard Harriet call up the stairs.
‘‘Everyone else has just arrived so I’m gonna go show my face and say hello. I’ll call you soon.’’ I told them. I didn’t want to make a habit out of calling them everyday, I knew it would only make me miss them more.
‘‘Ok sweetie. Have fun, work hard.’’ I could hear the proud tone in my mothers voice.
‘‘Always.’’ I replied then ended the call. I wasn’t sure I was ready to meet people just yet. I was tired and grouchy. I didn’t want my first impression to be a bad one.
‘‘Evie, are you ok?’’ Harriet said as she entered my room. I jumped a little and controlled my breathing.
‘‘Sure, I’m fine. Was just on the phone to my parents.’’ I told her, standing from my bed.
She smiled and held out her hand for me. ‘‘You don’t need to be shy, they’re awesome dudes.’’ She beamed, probably picking up on my nerves and lack of confidence around new people. I held onto her hand and she squeezed it reassuringly and we left my room then made our way downstairs.
I picked up on a few different voices that were all trying to be heard above each other. Then as we made our way through the room that joint onto the stairs, five bodies came into view. My heart started to race and I wanted to bolt out of the house and to my car, but I couldn’t do that. I needed to suck up my shyness and meet them. Harriet let go of my hand and perched herself on a stool and rested her elbows on the table top.
‘‘Guys, I want you all to meet Evie.’’ She called, grabbing their attention and causing them all to look at me. I felt my cheeks heat up a little and I gave a small wave. ‘‘I’ll introduce you.’’ Harriet then said, jumping off her seat and making her way over to a blond haired boy who was sipping some water.
‘‘This is Jared Monaco. Sweet, sensitive and has the uncanny ability to know when there’s something wrong and can get it out of you in two seconds flat.’’ He grinned wide and waved at me. ‘‘Next we have Kennedy Brock.’’ She said, taking a small side step and putting her hand on his shoulder. ‘‘He gives awesome hugs, that’s all you need to know.’’ I chuckled slightly as he squeezed her tightly for a second or two. When he let her go she crept up to the side of a long haired boy who had a cute baby face. ‘‘This, is Pat Kirch. He’s the most amazing out of all of these douches and also happens to be my best friend.’’ They both grinned and he high-fived her, obviously pleased with her comment. She ruffled his hair and moved onto the tallest of all five boys. ‘‘Meet, my big brother.’’ Harriet smiled, cuddling up to his side. ‘‘John O’Callaghan. If you have a problem, or you need some kind of help…don’t go to him.’’ His smile faltered and he prodded her side.
‘‘Don’t listen to her, I’m more then helpful.’’ He said, narrowing his eyes at Harriet. She smiled and hugged his side quickly then moved onto the last boy who was sat on one of the stools Harriet was on, swinging his legs freely. ‘‘Last, but certainly not least, is Mr Garrett Nickelsen.’’ She stared at him for a short while then seemed to snap out of a day dream. ‘‘There’s too many words to describe this one, you’ll just have to work him out for yourself.’’ She sighed then walked back to my side. She perked up again in the matter of seconds then looked at me, then back at the five boys standing in front of us. ‘‘And this, my dear friends, is Evie Smith.’’ I smiled at them receiving waves and hello’s. I darted my eyes towards Garrett who grinned almost manically then turned to face the other way.
♠ ♠ ♠
bad descriptions? ay well, its how i want them =]