Status: Finished

Everyone Pretends They're Happy

Party Time?

There was little conversation between me and the guys. Harriet had wandered off with Pat and the others were engaged in conversation between themselves so I went back up to my room. It made me seem like a recluse, but I was never good in social situations. It took me a good two year to be comfortable with my old friends and my ex. I took off my sweater and pulled on a white t-shirt, since the house was even hotter inside then it was out. I kicked off my boots and lay on my bed, hoping sleep would consume me and I could miss the party and wake up in a happier and less tired mood.
Just as I was drifting into a light sleep I heard a knock on my bedroom door. I opened one of my eyes and watched as Harriet poked her head around the side of my door.
‘‘Hey.’’ She almost whispered. ‘‘Just wanted to know if you’re coming to that party?’’ She asked stepping into my room. I sat up and rested back on my hands.
‘‘I don’t know. I think I might just stay in.’’ I sighed. I’m not sure how many times I’d told her that but she didn’t seem to be taking no for an answer.
‘‘Is there something wrong? I could always go get Jared.’’ She grinned edging towards the door.
‘‘No, there’s nothing wrong. I’m just a little tired.’’ I explained. She cocked her head and placed her hands on her hips.
‘‘With the amount of work we’ll get piled onto us, there might be a rare chance to go out. Are you sure you want to pass up on the first party of very few we may go to?’’ She was starting to twist my arm slightly, I didn’t want to seem like a bore or killjoy.
I threw my head back then looked at Harriet, her smile not faltering. ‘‘Fine, I suppose I can always just sleep tomorrow.’’ I said in defeat.
Harriet ran over to my bed and jumped on beside me, throwing her arms around me excitedly. ‘‘You’ll have fun, I promise you.’’ She beamed. She jumped back off and bounded down the stairs. I heard her telling the guys downstairs that I’d changed my mind and decided to go. I still wasn’t sure about it. It was hard enough for me to meet five people, never mind hundreds I’d see.
***
We had three bathrooms in the house. One for each floor. I didn’t really think it could’ve been more amazing, but it was. Harriet later on informed me that I was on the third floor with Garrett. She seemed miffed at that fact but I wasn’t sure why. I could only guess she had a thing for him. Garrett had let me use the shower first since it would take me longer to get ready. That was in-fact untrue. I never did pay much attention to my appearance. At the most, I spent twenty minutes getting ready. I grabbed the opportunity anyway and thoroughly washed my hair and tried to wake myself up a little in the cold water. My room was facing my bedroom so I wrapped a towel around me and darted into my room. I closed it behind me and fumbled about for an invisible lock. That was something I needed to invest in. I rummaged around my suitcases and draws and decided on a pair of blue jeans and a checked shirt. It was obvious I was in need of a new wardrobe to match the weather in Arizona.
‘‘Hey, Evie can I-’’ Garrett cut himself off when he walked into my room. I was currently stood in my jeans and bra. I tried and failed to pull on my shirt without him seeing too much, but in panic mode, that never works out as planned. My hair was dripping water all down my back and I most likely looked a mess.
‘‘I’m sorry, I didn’t know you were….like that, I’ll leave.’’ He mumbled then walked out and shut the door behind him. I dried my hair with my towel and pulled on my shirt then debated on whether or not to go ask what Garrett wanted. I couldn’t ignore him forever, after all, we were sharing a house.
I opened my door to see Garrett hovering about outside of it. ‘‘Hey.’’ I said, startling him a little and causing him to snap his attention from the floor and to my face.
‘‘Hey…sorry about before, I’m not a creep, I don’t usually walk in on people half naked.’’ He rushed. I chuckled at him and patted his shoulder.
‘‘Its fine, Garrett. What were you gonna ask?’’ I questioned and he seemed to rack his brain to remember.
‘‘Ahh, I was just gonna ask if I could borrow your shampoo…I forgot to buy some.’’ He said a little sheepishly. I smiled and nodded and told him it was still in the bathroom. I went back into my room and continued to get dressed.
***
‘‘Evie, are you ready?’’ I heard Harriet shout. I stared at myself in my full length mirror. I didn’t look great. I really didn’t care. I just wanted to go to bed, but I needed to get out and meet people.
‘‘Yeah.’’ I called back reluctantly. I grabbed my cell phone and shoved it in my pocket, along with the key Harriet had given me. I left my room and walked downstairs to see the six of them gathered at the door. It looked like Harriet was the only person to have made effort getting ready.
She was wearing a short denim skirt and a black tank top matched with a pair of strappy black heals. Looking at her now, we couldn’t have been more opposite.
‘‘You’re gonna have to watch her, Harriet.’’ John said to her as he looked me up and down. I looked down at myself, worried I’d chosen something revealing and not noticed.
‘‘Can I ask why?’’ I asked John as he opened the front door.
‘‘You’re probably the newest person to arrive in Tempe. You’re young and lets face it, stunningly gorgeous, trust me, people wont leave you alone tonight.’’ John smiled and I hesitated on the spot.
‘‘Evie, don’t worry. I’ll stay with you, make sure you’re fine.’’ Harriet said taking my hand again and pulling me out of the house. I wasn’t worried about the attention. Not meaning to boost my ego, I was used to that, I got it back home. It was the fact if I got drunk, I was no doubt going to let someone back in my life to hurt me again. That was something I wasn’t ready for.
♠ ♠ ♠
There's gonna be more Garrett soon, promises.