Status: Finished

Everyone Pretends They're Happy

Don’t Let Her Fool You

I’d guessed this would’ve happened. As soon as we’d arrived at the house the party was at, Harriet had spotted someone she knew and ran off to talk to her...she didn’t come back for me. The guys were swamped by a tone of people for some reason, so I stood by myself next to the front door.
John was also right, I’d had none stop attention from the moment I’d stepped into the house. I’d been asked for my number before they even asked my name, I’d been groped more times then I cared to remember and one boy had tired to kiss me many times before he found attraction in another girl.
I left the house and sat at the bottom of the very large garden that had cups and rubbish scattered about it. I just wanted to go back to the house…but being in a new place I didn’t have a clue how to get there. I was just going to have to suffer and wait until they got bored and decided to find me.
‘‘Evie?’’ I heard a slightly familiar voice say.
I turned to see Garrett walking towards me, cup in hand. He smiled and waved with his free hand and took a seat beside me on the grass. ‘‘What are you out here for?’’ He asked me, resting his cup in between his legs.
I shrugged even though I was about to explain anyway. ‘‘Harriet left me even though she said she wouldn’t, boys I don’t know keep hitting on me and I’m beyond tried all I want to do is go to bed.’’ I told him sighing at the end.
‘‘Then why did you come out?’’ He probed, taking another sip of whatever he had in his cup.
‘‘Harriet twisted my arm. Told me with the amount of work we’d get that we wouldn’t have time for parties, so I decided why not. At least I can say I’ve been to one.’’ I heard Garrett laugh as he put his cup back in between his legs.
‘‘She got you with that did she?’’ He chuckled shaking his head.
I was confused, I didn’t know what he was talking about. ‘‘Got me with what?’’ I asked him.
He stopped laughing and turned to look at me. ‘‘Harriet goes to a party every week. Maybe sometimes three. It doesn’t matter how much work she’s got. Don’t let her fool you, Evie. You seem like a nice girl. Don’t listen to what Harriet says.’’ He looked towards the ground and plucked out some of the grass we were sat on.
‘‘Do you and Harriet have something against each other?’’ I asked. I didn’t expect him to tell me since I’d just met the boy a few hours earlier.
‘‘Not really. Its just…complicated between us.’’ I didn’t want to push him any further, it was none of my business. We sat in silence for a few minutes longer until I yawned. ‘‘You want to leave?’’ Garrett asked finishing off his drink.
‘‘I do, but you don’t have to leave too. I’m sure I’d find my way back in a few hours.’’ I told him causing him to smirk.
‘‘I don’t want to stay either.’’ He pushed himself up off the ground and held out his hand for me. I took hold of it and he pulled me up also. I brushed myself down and Garrett and I started back up the road we’d came down.
‘‘Why don’t you want to stay?’’ I asked, trying my best to make conversation.
‘‘The same thing happens every time we’re at a party.’’ Garrett started. ‘‘Harriet gets totally drunk, causes a scene by hitting me and cursing at me, John has to drag her home and it ruins everyone’s night. With me at home, she cant do that.’’ He smiled, then tapped the side of his head with his finger. ‘‘Smart I am.’’ He grinned.
‘‘Its not really fair on you though, it spoils your night having to come home.’’ I added. He shrugged then shoved his hands in his pockets.
‘‘I seriously don’t mind. Believe it or not, I hate the amount of drunken girls that throw themselves at us. They all hold pointless, if any, conversation then end up vomiting all over you. Its not nice.’’ He made a disgusted face and I laughed.
‘‘Well, I feel better knowing I haven’t made you leave a place you wanted to be.’’ I smiled. Garrett smiled back and we walked in comfortable silence until we reached our house.
‘‘You heading up?’’ Garrett asked as he shut the door behind him and locked it.
‘‘Yeah. Eleven o’clock and I’m going to bed. I live the good life.’’ I beamed sarcastically. Garrett laughed and wrapped his arms around me. I stiffened up a little at his touch. I wasn’t used to boys holding me so close. I hadn’t let anyone since I’d been hurt. He seemed to notice and pulled away.
‘‘Sorry…I forgot for a second we’d just met.’’ He said, stepping back a little from me.
‘‘Its fine, I just wasn’t expecting it.’’ I told him, feeling slightly embarrassed. We were awkward for a second then I turned to go upstairs.
It had been a long day, I just needed sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
thank you for the comments so far =]