‹ Prequel: Second Heartbeat

And All Things Will End

Deal

Today Anna and me were watching all of the kids. They all had their special activities they loved doing.

I just realized today that there actually weren't too many kids in our huge family. I had two kids, Emily had Yancy, and Val had Sam. That wasn't too many, considering there were five couples. Just four kids here, and two of them were mine.

I looked over to see Anna talking to Sam, no doubt giving her love advice about little Zack. Anna loved making her little brother crazy.

I smiled, seeing Sam run off to find Zack. I got up off the couch. I just had to see what Anna told the little girl to do to Zack now.

Sam searched the whole house pretty much, before she got to Zack's room. I could hear the faint sound of his guitar playing.

Sam barged right into the room, and I heard Zack start to yell at her.

"Sam, get out! I'm trying to practice right now. I don't have any time for your stupid game of family right now," Zack yelled.

"Zack, you know how you always tell me to prove that I'm devoted to you, my love?" she asked.

I covered my mouth. Even I didn't call my own husband my love. Sam was one adorable little girl.

"Yeah, what about it? Are you finally giving up? 'Cause there's just about nothing that'll convince me you really like me. You're just a little girl," he mumbled.

"Oh of course I love you. Look at your pretty eyes! It was love at first sight for me," she said happily.

"We first met, when you were a baby. You don't even remember the first time you saw me, moron." Zacky said angrily.

"Whatever. You love me too. But Anna came up with a cool idea. Wanna hear? Wanna hear? Please. Please. Please," Sam begged.

I heard Zack groaned.

"Freakin' fine! Just say it, so I can go back to practicing already." Zacky yelled.

"Mtay! So I'm gonna learn to play something." Sam said happily. "You don't even know anything about music," Zack muttered.

"That's mtay. My daddy says that I have the best daddy in the whole world, so music is in me. Or something," Sam said.

"You won't be able to do it. You're six, and you're stupid." Zack said. "I can too! You can play guitar. Why can't I? I'm special too," Sam muttered.

"My dad taught me. 'Sides what will you learn. No guitar; I already play it," Zack said.

I knew that Zack didn't want her on guitar just in case she somehow got better than him. Guitar was his whole world so far. He already disliked Anna for being better than him.

"But John John's thingie is too big for me to hold," Sam whined. "Looks like you gotta give it up then," Zack said.

"I'll think of something," Sam muttered.

I heard Sam walking my way, so I started walking to my room, hoping she wouldn't guess that I heard them talk.

Just before I got to my door, I felt a hug on my wrist.

"Auntie?"

I looked down to see the adorable six year old looking up at me.

"You were listening. Daddy says it's bad to listen, when lovers talk." She said smiling. "I'm sorry, honey." I said, not knowing what else to say.

"It's mtay 'cause you gonna help me now," she said sweetly.

She grabbed the hem of her dress and moved from side to side, making herself look even more cute.

"What can I play? Zack says no guitar," she asked sweetly.

I bent down to her level and thought about it.

"You know what? I think the drums will be good for you. You have a lot of energy. You should go call Uncle Jimbo and see what he says about it," I said.

Sam's eyes got really big, and she went running off.

I was fairly certain that she liked the idea of being a drummer. She often commented about how cool Jimmy looked.

Life was becoming more and more difficult for me. I loved my best friend's wife. I was beginning to realize how wrong this was.

I already had a life with my own wife. I had a life. I had great friends. Friends who would most likely not approve of my love for Emma.

It's not like I could help that I loved her. If anything, it could be her fault. She didn't have to be so beautiful. She didn't have to hug me so often. She didn't need to compliment me so much.

I rubbed my forehead. I was lying to myself yet again. It was my own fault. I let this happen. I could've just ignored my feelings for her.

I already told myself multiple times that I needed to distance myself from her. Time would make me forget about these silly feelings. I could fall back in love with my wife. It's not like she wasn't pretty or funny enough for me.

Emma was just more. She was more everything to me. I thought about her every single fucking day, and I couldn't get her off of my mind. She was just too fucking amazing.

I stood up and paced for a bit.

I was making myself nervous just thinking about her. I needed to get over this chick. I needed to get over her now.

I would get over this woman.


"I get to go back home!" Matt said happily. I smiled at him.

"Val said it's okay?" I asked. He nodded.

"Yeah, I apologized for not appreciating her enough. I didn't think it was such a big deal to her, but now I get to go back home. I'm sorry, but I love my house a lot more than yours." Matt said.

I rolled my eyes.

"I'm just happy your lazy butt gets to dirty your own home. You're probably more happy about being around Sam more though," I said. "That probably is what I missed the most. It's amazing to wake up to the most beautiful thing in the world." Matt said.

"Are you and Val ever gonna have another one?" I asked. "A kid? I dunno. Depends on Val. I'd like a son like most men, but I'd be okay with just Sam. Six years is already a big age gap for another kid." Matt said.

I nodded.

"Now you got me thinkin', Emma. I'm gonna ask Val tonight. Maybe I'll get some," Matt joked. I rolled my eyes.

"But Jimmy's been down recently," Matt said softly. "Really? What's going on?" I asked.

Matt shook his head.

"It's not my place to say. Just go easy on him. Well I gotta go," Matt said getting up. "See ya," I said.

I frowned.

What was Jimmy down about?