‹ Prequel: Blue Rose

Double Trouble

Chapter 14

Once preparations for the rescue mission were completed, the quartet adjourned to Savannah’s bedroom, which was where they would we leaving from. Savannah recalled all those years ago when it was from the outside ledge that she realized how much Toby was in love with her. It was also where she and Toby would leave to go on their midnight flights. And, they would do so again tonight. This time, however, Thomas and Eli were accompanying them; to save Rueben, Keith, and Dawn. “Everyone ready?” she asked upon getting to her room.

Thomas nodded. “Of course.”

Eli grinned. “I’ve been ready.”

It was, to Savannah’s surprise, Toby who was hesitant about once again approaching these men; his brothers and Calarasi were plagues upon his life and Savannah could see it in his eyes that her husband wanted nothing to do with these men, not after all they had done. For Toby, a century and a half had gone by in which he was subjected to his younger brothers’ wrath. Clearly, he didn’t want to deal with that ever again, not after what Savannah went through during the aftermath of attending Camp Strange. “I’m as ready as I’ll ever be for facing my brothers again,” her husband shrugged.

“Toby,” she said, “I really am sorry that this has to happen. You aren’t the only one who never wanted to see this happen. I thought I was rid of this crap thirteen years ago.”

“Everyone thought that,” Eli mused.

“Agreed,” Savannah replied.

Toby then took charge. “Thomas, Eli, the both of you will need to hold onto me for this. Savannah has already experienced what I am about to do. So, grab hold; I’m about to fly us out of here.” He took hold of his wife, pulling her close. Eli had a tight grip on his aunt’s hand while Thomas stood on the other side, a grip on his brother-in-law. If anyone were to look over, they would see a group of four standing out on the ledge. All of them had a tight hold of one another. Toby rose up and began to soar up above the city limits. He briefly lingered there and Savannah was reminded of the first time she went flying with Toby.

Recalling the last time she went to face the Evermore twins, Savannah knew this to be a ten minute trip. Upon running through all the possibilities, Savannah and Toby concluded that Jason and Justin would take their niece and nephews to only one place: where they grew up. Savannah had only been there once, when she went to deal with them after the behavior modification appeared; based on the facts and Savannah’s dream, she was sure that Evermore home was where her children would be. In fact, they had figured that out the minute it happened, but never got the chance to deal with it. Now was their chance. And, Savannah intended on doing everything she could in order to keep her children away from their uncles, the men that ruined her life and would surely ruin theirs as well.

It wasn’t long before Toby landed, a good thirty feet from his home. Not wanting Jason and Justin to realize what was going on, it was agreed that they’d land a safe distance away and walk the remainder of the way. “Okay,” Toby announced when they landed. “My brothers are in that house thirty feet away. It was where I grew up, so it should be the best place for them to hold Reuben, Keith, and Dawn. I doubt they remember that I know the one place they would go; if they did, they’d be expecting us coming, something I truly doubt. In any case, we’re walking the rest of the way to go confront my brothers.”

“Uncle Toby, before we get up there, should it be Dad or I who needs to confront your brothers?” his nephew wondered. “You can’t because you’re no longer immortal and Aunt Savannah has too much history with those two, far more than Dad and I ever would.”

“We’ll figure that out when we get there,” Toby replied.

As the quartet journeyed up to the Evermore home, only the second time she had ever been there, Savannah tried to figure out a way to confront Jason and Justin and ensure that her children returned to her and Toby unscathed. She spent years dreading this day, the day she was to go confront her brothers-in-law. Her dream from thirteen years ago still lingered in her mind; she never wanted to see her nephew deal with Jason and Justin. Nothing like this was ever supposed to happen. Jason and Justin Evermore were never supposed to return from dead and seek revenge for all that they suffered. The Evermore brothers did not know suffering, not when Savannah spent years in a dark depression because they felt the need to go out and kill for fun. What Savannah dealt with was suffering. And now she had to suffer even more because the men that made her life a living hell were back.

Upon arriving, Toby knocked on the door. Savannah eyed the oak door suspiciously, wondering which one of the boys it would be to open the door. “Hello?” a voice asked.

“Hello there, Jason,” Toby intoned.

“Toby! What happened to you?” his brother asked.

“The best thing ever,” Toby replied simply, smiling at Savannah. “When Savannah destroyed you and Justin fifteen years ago, it began a chain of events that led to something I doubt you’ll take too kindly to. And, I don’t regret what was done either. Never will!”

“You’re mortal!” Justin exclaimed, coming over.

“I am,” Toby replied. “And, I couldn’t be happier.”

Savannah, who stood just behind her husband as he confronted his brothers for the first time in fifteen years, could see the hatred burning in their brothers-in-laws eyes. It was the same hatred that Savannah saw fifteen years ago when they flipped out on her about spending too much time with Toby at Camp Strange. This time, however, Savannah was not about to let Jason and Justin step all over her; she would rescue her children and be done with this. “How did you two come back to life?” Savannah asked her brothers-in-law. “I destroyed you after all that you did to my between the times I was thirteen and just weeks before my fifteenth birthday. You two made me suffer so much; that’s the reason that I was so intent on destroying you all those years ago. You were never supposed to return; how then have you returned? And, why have come after us through my children?”

“Stupidest question ever!” Jason exclaimed.

“Tell me then!” Savannah shouted.

Before either Jason or Justin had the opportunity to give Savannah an answer, another face she recognized appeared. A scruffy-haired man with a voice—Savannah recalled—that could send shivers down her spine. “Calarasi!” Thomas yelled. He looked over at his sister and brother-in-law. “Eli was right! Calarasi is alive. Crap! It seems as if we should have checked to see if he was dead. Otherwise, this never would have happened.”

“How right you are!” Calarasi chuckled. “And, I can assure you that there is no way that any of you shall ever escape my wrath. I will get my immortality back once and for all!”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment and subscribe.