‹ Prequel: Blue Rose

Double Trouble

Chapter 25

Eli was nearly asleep when his aunt woke him up about the fact that the sun was getting ready to rise. He then offhandedly remarked that Dawn wasn’t in the room, thinking she had slipped off to the bathroom. There was no way that he could have known that Dawn went after his mother and grandfather. Eli groaned and ran after his aunt, hoping that they could stop Dawn from following through with her plan. Dawn, what are you doing? Why are you trying to kill yourself?

They got to the nurse’s station where Aunt Savannah inquired about her daughter. “Excuse me, but have you seen a young girl run by here, about five years-old. She’s my daughter and I really need to find her if I am to prevent something dreadful from happening.”

“No, can’t that I have,” the nurse replied.

“Okay. Well, thanks,” Aunt Savannah said.

Eli hung his head. This was a dangerous situation they were in. Dawn had the same power as her mother. Contained in a small body—even an untrained one—it could be deadly. Come on, Dawn. You can’t do this. It’s far too dangerous. Do you want Uncle Toby to wake up and find that his little girl is dead? I know I don’t because I’ll surely be the one to get reamed when it’s discovered that I brought you here. I could have taken a cab; I could have made sure that you were safely tucked away within the confines of your bed before I left to go help Aunt Savannah. But, I didn’t; I let you come with me and ultimately enabled this to happen. My ass is grass when Uncle Toby finds out what I did, what I allowed.

Pushing aside the thoughts of what Uncle Toby might do if it were discovered what he did, Eli chased after his aunt in search of his cousin. Where they found Dawn, they would surely find his mother and grandfather. They seemed to be working together on this in an attempt to get rid of Toby; they were trying to bring out the killer in him. That was what Eli suspected that the injection his mother gave was. He suspected that they were trying to make Toby the monster he never was, the monster he swore never to become out of love for Savannah. “Aunt Savannah, have you found any sign of her yet?” Eli asked his aunt.

“Not yet,” his aunt mumbled quietly. “But, I have no doubt that we will find her. There aren’t many places in a hospital in which a five year-old girl can hide. The hospital is a sterilized environment and Dawn’s entrance in any area like that would contaminate the sterilization. So, I can assure you that we’ll find her. And, if I had to guess, we’ll also be seeing Jason and Justin.”

Eli recalled Dawn’s dream. Jason and Justin were mentioned as being there. In fact, it was the only thing she mentioned about the dream. A realization dawned on Eli. “Oh no!”

“What is it?” his aunt asked.

“She knew! Dawn knew from the beginning what was to happen,” Eli explained. “As soon as she had the dream, she came to me, not Dad. I wondered why that was. Now I know; Dawn knew that I had to be here because it happened that way in her dream, her vision.”

“Vision?” Aunt Savannah asked.

Eli nodded. “It’s why we initially came here. Dawn said something was going to happen that we need to come here. We got here just as Calarasi was coming in to deal with Uncle Toby. Then, when Mom injected Uncle Toby, I complete forgot about that until now.”

Aunt Savannah dropped to her knees. “If it’s a vision, I don’t think there’s anything we can do to stop this. Try as we might, any attempt at doing so will only be in vain.

“No!” Eli exclaimed. What have I done? I brought Dawn out here; knowing she had a dream and knowing that Aunt Savannah has had a few of her dreams come true. I enabled this to happen and, in doing so, sentenced her to death. “Auntie V, are you sure that there’s nothing we can do to keep Dawn safe?” There had to be something that Eli could do, something that could keep Dawn safe and keep Uncle Toby from reaming his ass for what happened.

A loud explosion rocked the hospital’s foundation. Eli and his aunt gripped the wall and each other to hold steady. “I wish there was, but that was your cousin. And, there’s telling as to what the repercussions of what she did might be. Now, come; we need to go find out what happened.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment and subscribe.