The Ghost Of You

Living Forever

The waves flowed steadily into the beach, lapping against Dylan's legs. She had not moved for more than an hour; just stood here, watching the sunset and listening to the sound of the sea. Her eyes searched the horizon for something - anything - to save her. But she saw nothing, no light guiding her, no guardian angel. No, that had all being a lie.

The gentle wind whispered out to her, but she couldn't hear what it was saying, nor did she care. It was all lies, none of it was true. She had remebered his voice, the silky sound of his voice that laced it's way around her throat, constricting her until she could no longer breathe.

"We're going to live forever! Nothing can stop us!"

He had entwined his fingers in hers and then became silent. He knew it was a lie, but he had tried to prove otherwise. He had tried to prove to Dylan that he was right, that he really would save her, would rescue her. But he couldn't. No - one could rescue her now, not now, not ever.

She remembered his eyes, a deep blue, like the ocean. The eyes that held so many secrects, so much pain and torment. He told Dylan everything, about his life, his job that he had loved so much.

They were different in so many ways. He was a dreamer, always whispereing to her in the dead of the night how they would run away together. She was a realist, always stuck to the facts. She had humoured him, simply because she did not want to see him hurt. But she had never believed anything he had promised. She was right not to.

They had fought countless times, arguing about things that didn't really matter, not even then. Dylan would ask him how they would get the money to flee with. His eyes would sparkle and his lips would curve into a smile. He would lean close to Dylan, whispering in her ear.

"We'll find a way"

This had angered her. How could he be so sure? His plans were just dreams, plain fantasies. They would never hold out, no matter how hard he tried.

Sighing heavily, Dylan put a hand to her temple. The memories were coming thick and fast and she was powerless. There was no way she could stop them.

He tugged on her sleeve.

"Let go! I don't have time for your stupid games!"

He laughed, his eyes lighting up, his face flushing with excitement.

"C'mon, Dyl. Please, baby. I just want to show you something."

She had followed him then, to the cliff edge. The view was spectacular; the sun was just setting, leaving imprints of red, yellow and orange on the horizon.

"It's beautiful," she had whispered. He had laughed, stepping closer to the edge.

"How would you like to live up there?" he had asked, finger pointing to a row of houses, just visible above the horizon.

"I'd love to," she had breathed. "But it's impossible. The cost of those houses... we can't possibly afford it..."

"Dyl! Liven up! Why do you have to be so realistic all the time?"

She had shrugged, gazing at the houses.

"When we're older," he promised, "I'll buy you one of those houses. And we're gonna live there forever."

"Nobody lives forever."

He grinned. "We're gonna live forever! Nothing can stop us!" He spread his arms wide, then went silent and stepped back next to Dylan.

He entwined his fingers in hers and they stood there, watching the sun set, then disappear.

"It's getting dark," she noted.

"No shit!" He laughed, pulling away from her. "Everyone beware! Sherlock Holmes is here!"

She hit him on his arm and he pretended to be hurt.

"Ow, Dyl! That hurt! Kiss it better, will you?" He grinned cheekily and she pushed him, shaking her head.

"Spoilsport," he said, sticking his tongue out at her. He walked towards the cliff's edge again, looking below at the waves crashing against the cliff face.

"When I die, I want my ashes scattered down here, in the sea," he said softly.

"Don't."

He turned to Dylan.

"Don't what?" he asked.

"Don't talk about dying. Please."

"Everyone dies Dyl."

"I thought you were gonna live forever," she said sarcastically.

"Oh yeah!" he said, his face brightening. She rolled her eyes at him and turned away.

"Hey, Dylan, watch what I can do!"

She turned to see him walking right on the cliff edge, like a tightrope walker.

"Be careful!"

He just laughed at her. "Why bother?" he asked. "I'm gonna live forever, remember?"

And then the rock beneath his feet began to crumble. He didn't notice, but Dylan did.

She screamed, but by then it was too late. He fell, with a deafening crash into the raging sea below.