The Ghost Of You

Hannibal

The sea breeze swept Dylan's hair in front of her face, making it difficult to see. Still, she managed to walk down the steep cliff face without falling. Once on the beach, she glanced around. It was empty, except for a boy with dark hair sat on a red blanket with his dog.

Dylan was heading that way, towards the narrower end of the beach. She had brought a blanket also, and a book. One of her favourites, The Catcher In The Rye. She set off at a leisurely pace towards "her spot." The dog had spotted her and was wagging it's tail, like it knew her. She frowned, but carried on walking, swinging her bag that she had brought.

The closer to the dog she got, the more frantic it's movements were, until eventually, when she was passing, the dog barked and stood on all four legs, still wagging it's tail. The boy looked up from what he was doing - Dylan couldn't see what it was - and his eyes met hers.

"Oh God, not you again," she snapped. His blue eyes shimmered and he grinned at her again.

"Nice to see you too, Dylan."

"How do you know my name?"

"Your very kind friends told me it. They also told me your phone number aswell, but I haven't had time to phone just yet."

Dylan's face grew red and Noah grinned.

"Haha, funny guy."

"I had you going though, didn't I?" His face was alight with childlike wonder and his eyes sparkled with curiousity.

"No, you didn't. I knew you wouldn't have my phone number. I don't have a phone."

"Liar." He said it without insinuation or accusation. It was just a simple fact. Dylan sighed heavily and his grin grew wider.

"Sorry if Hannibal scared you though. He gets a bit giddy."

Hannibal?

"Who, on God's earth, is Hannibal?"

"Do you believe in God?" he asked, ignoring her previous question.

"Huh?"

"God. Do you believe there is a God?" He looked up at the sky as if to back up what he was saying.

"No. I don't."

"Ahh, science freak, huh?"

"I... I'm not a freak!"

At this outburst, Noah laughed loudly. Dylan glared at him, then looked down at the dog.

"Is this Hannibal?"

The dog wagged it's tail at the mention of it's name. Noah stroked the chocolatey coat of the Labrador and it shifted closer to him.

"Yep, this is my Hannibal." He patted her, than leant back slightly to look at Dylan.

"You look nice today," he commented. The compliment took her by suprise and she looked down to what she was wearing. Light blue crops and a plain yellow vest. Summer type clothes.

She looked towards him, at his outfit. Faded black jeans and a loose red t-shirt. On his left wrist he wore a black sweatband.

"I mean, not that you don't always look nice of course." He grinned at her again and she felt the heat rising in her cheeks. Was he flirting with her?

"What star sign are you?" he asked suddenly. She snorted.

"Why, do you want to predict my future?"

"Star signs aren't really used to predict futures. Although..." he paused slightly, his eyes misting over. "...you will meet a tall, dark stranger wearing black jeans and a red shirt today. And you will fall madly in love with him."

Dylan laughed, despite herself.

"What's his name then?" she asked, playing the game.

"Anything but Noah," he said, grinning. Dylan shook her head, still smiling.

"So... will you go out with me then?"

"What!" Dylan exclaimed. It was not a question. She had heard what he said.

"You, Noah, are unbelievable." With that, she turned away from him, heading towards the narrower end of the beach. She could hear him giggling, even though she was far away from him by now. Settling down on the hot sand, she opened her book and began to read.

Halfway through the first chapter, a shadow was cast over her. She looked up to see Noah stood, with his dog, with an ice cream in his hand.

He handed it to her silently, then turned away, heading towards the cliff.

"Thanks...I think," Dylan whispered. Two minutes later, Noah was gone.