Life After The Show

The funeral

My mom, brother, and I arrived in the black car in front of the limousine that carried my father's dead body. As soon as the car pulled up to the curb of the funeral home, I pushed my way out, and walked quickly, looking down. Suddenly I felt a hard bump. I looked up to see who hit me. Alex gave me a weak smile and I returned it. I hugged him, putting my head into his chest, and he stroked it.

"I am so sorry. But I'm sure you've already heard those words enough. You wanna go inside? It's freezing out here" he said gently. I nodded and made my way inside. I led him to the front row, the seats reserved for our family, and close friends. As we sat, Alex put his arm around me. I lay my head on his shoulder.

"I'm sorry for the loss of your father" an older man said. Did I even know him.

"Oh, thank you, uh..."

"Jim, Jim Harrison. Pleased to meet you Ms. Demitri. I was an old friend of your father's, back when we were both construction workers!"

"Ah, I see. Well thank you. And this is my boyfriend, Alex Gaskarth"

"Hi" Alex waved.

"Hello young man. Don't you go breaking this girls heart now. She's very sweet and kind. But please, if your family ever needs anything, be sure to call me" he said and walked away.

That day at the funeral, I got several more approaches from people like that. I had no idea who they were, but I went along with it. It came the time, when we were to say our goodbyes, and go up to the casket.

"Are you going up?" Alex asked. I stayed silent. "I'll go with you" he offered.

"Kennadee, I really think you should. This will be your last time to say goodbye" Matt encouraged. I grabbed Alex's hand, and stood in line, waiting to see my dad. Our turn came. He was pale, and rested peacefully. I stroked his face, and kissed him on the cheek.

"I'm sorry I left you dad. Goodbye" I said before we made our way back to our seats.

After that, everyone said they're speeches, and as they did, everyone bawled their eyes out, including me. He was my father of course. Once everyone was done, we were taken to the cemetery. The priest said a prayer, and buried him deep into the ground. We were all given flowers to put by his grave. We sat in silence, and in tears, and soon after, everyone was led to my parent's house. That was it, I'd never see him again.

I ran to my old room, and Alex followed me. We lay on my bed, and he started to sing.

Make it a sweet, sweet goodbye
It could be for the last time and it's not right
"Don't let yourself get in over your head", he said
"Alone and far from home I'll find you"

Sad like a candle you burnt out
Spill the wax over the spaces left in place of angry words
Scream to be heard like you needed any more attention
Throw the bottle, break the door and disappear

Sing me to sleep
I'll see you in my dreams
Waiting to say, "I miss you, I'm so sorry"

Forever's never seemed so long as when you're not around
It's like a piece of me is missing
I could have learned so much from you but what's left now?
Don't you realize you showed this family a world of pain?
Can't you see this could have been a happy ending we let go?

Sing me to sleep
I'll see you in my dreams
Waiting to say, "I miss you, I'm so sorry"

Sing me to sleep
Sing me to sleep
Sing me to sleep
Sing me to sleep

Sing me to sleep
(You've taken so much with you)
I'll see you in my dreams
(But why you left the worst with me?)
Waiting to say, "I miss you, I'm so sorry
I'm sorry, I'm sorry"

"Thank you for being here Alex, that was beautiful" I told him.

"I know what it's like. I wrote it for my brother Daniel, he committed suicide. I blamed myself for it, I still do. If I hadn't made him mad, if I hadn't pushed him, he'd still be alive right now" he said shaking his head. A single tear dropped from his eye.

"Alex, it's not your fault, it's nobody's fault. You've still got one's who love you. Your mom and dad, your band, me. We'll always stick by each other, always" I said kissing him.

"Okay. I love you Kennadee Demitri"

"I love you Alexander Gaskarth" I said leaning in, I closed my eyes and we kissed.

"Your father would be so proud of you right now, okay?"

"Okay"
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading! :) I really appreciate feedback.