Life After The Show

My life now.

It's been a year. There's been a lot of ups and downs between Alex and I. But we stuck together through everything. Tara and I moved out to Baltimore, I moved in with Alex, and she moved into a good sized apartment of her own. Things heated up between Jack and Tara, and they're now going out. There's been so good memories between everyone, no one even remembers the bad ones.

Today is the anniversary of my dad's death, and I was going to visit his grave in Chestertown.

I slipped on my jacket, and grabbed my car keys. "Are you sure you don't want me to go with you?" Alex asked sliding his arms around my waist from behind and kissing my neck.

"Yeah, I'm fine" I nodded turning around and pecking his lips. "See you in a bit" I said walking out.

In about two hours, I pulled up to the cemetery that my father was buried in, I found his grave, and walked over.

Jim Demitri: Loving husband and father. 1963-2009 was engraved on it. I place the bouquet of flowers on the edge of the tombstone.

A single tear dropped from my eyes. I felt a small tap on the shoulder and jumped. I turned around and saw Matt. He pulled me into a bear hug. "You're here" he observed giving me a weak smile.

"Did you think I wouldn't come?" I asked.

"Well no, I just haven't seen you in weeks" he replied. I nodded.

"Is this the first time you came since?" he asked.

"Uh. Yeah" I answered. "What about you?"

"I've been here a couple times before. It's nice talking to him sometimes. Especially when things are messed up. He was always good for giving advice before"

"Yeah, he was"

He put a single rose by dad's grave. "Talk to him" Matt motioned. I nodded.

"Hey Dad, it's me. I miss you. I love you. I'm sorry you had to leave. I'm sorry I was never there. I hope you're just as happy as I am. We both have new lives now, yours is in heaven. Mine is in Baltimore. With a guy I love, and all my friends. Hope you're doing good up there" Tears rolled down my cheeks.

Matt lay a hand on my shoulder. I got up from my spot kneeling on the ground.

"Where's Mom?" I asked him.

"She's at home. I don't think she's coming"

"Why not?"

"She keeps blaming herself, she's been crying since the day she realized the anniversary was coming up. She talks to herself in the room, thinking of every reason why it's her fault Dad died, it's like the same year all over again" he told me.

"That's horrible"

"Yeah. She's starting to calm down though. Eventually she'll snap out of it"

"Uh, yeah."

*

After visiting Dad, we ate lunch at my mom's, hung out a little bit, and we went home.

I pulled up to the driveway of the house and parked the car. I turned it off with a sigh. Everything that night had been so depressing.

I walked in to be greeted by Rian and Kara cuddling on the couch, and Zack on the couch beside them. Everyone else was probably upstairs. Tara and Jack in Jack's room. I knocked on the door to Alex's.

"Come in" I heard from the other side. I opened the door and laughed as I saw Alex wearing sweat pants, a t-shirt, a sweater with his hood up, crossed legged on the bed, with the remote controller to the X-Box in his hand.

"Hey baby" he greeted pausing the game.

"Hey" I smiled.

"How was, uh, home?" he asked. I could tell he was trying not to talk about my dad.I laughed a bit.

"Chestertown?, visiting Dad?The anniversary?" I corrected him. "It was sad, but it was good"I told him. "I miss talking to him. He always knew what to say, I miss him a lot" I told Alex.

"Well he's always in your heart" Alex replied. "That's the saying that helped me through my brother's death" he said giving me a weak smile.

I nodded. "Yeah" Just then Sebastian jumped up onto my lap. I laughed and started to pet him. "Hey Baz!" I smiled as he jumped up and down playfully.

**
The next night, Alex had insisted on taking me out, and told me to dress up.

I showered, curled my hair, and slipped on my dress. I sprayed a spritz of perfume on my neck and slipped on my heels. I grabbed my black bag, and walked downstairs to see Alex in his tux. I grinned, and he grinned back.

"You look beautiful" he complimented me.

"Not to shabby yourself Gaskarth" I teased back. He held out his arm, and I linked it to mine.

"Let's go!"

He led us to his car and ran ahead and opened the door for me. He was being such a gentlemen, I liked it. But there's gotta be something special going on. Once he got in, he tied a blindfold around my eyes. Once it was in place, he checked to make sure I couldn't see.

"How many fingers am I holding up?" he asked. I rolled my eyes under the blindfold and smiled.

"Four?" I guessed.

"Two. Perfect" he replied and the vehicle started up, and moved out onto the streets of Baltimore.

About fifteen minutes later, the car came to a stop. I could hear the door open and felt a slight breeze as it did. I could feel Alex's larger, calloused hand reach for my small, softer hand. Yet, they fit perfectly in each other.

He removed the blindfold and the sight was amazing. It was a beach, the sun was just about to set, the water was sparkling. I was speechless, in awe.

He tugged on my hand gently, leading my eyes to a picnic basket, and blanket set up on the beach, and a guitar. He led me over and grabbed the guitar.

"I wrote a song for you" he informed me. My eyebrows went up in shock, as he picked up the guitar. He then handed me a sheet. It was lyrics. He then pointed to the second last verse. "I need you to sing that for me" he said. I nodded.

He woke up from dreaming and put on his shoes
Started making his way past 2 in the morning
He hasn't been sober for days

Leaning now into the breeze
Remembering Sunday, he falls to his knees
They had breakfast together
But two eggs don't last
Like the feeling of what he needs

Now this place seems familiar to him
She pulled on his hand with a devilish grin
She led him upstairs, she led him upstairs
Left him dying to get in

Forgive me, I'm trying to find
My calling, I'm calling at night
I don't mean to be a bother,
But have you seen this girl?
She's been running through my dreams
And it's driving me crazy, it seems
I'm going to ask her to marry me

Even though she doesn't believe in love,
He's determined to call her bluff
Who could deny these butterflies?
They're filling his gut

Waking the neighbors, unfamiliar faces
He pleads though he tries
But he's only denied
Now he's dying to get inside

Forgive me, I'm trying to find
My calling, I'm calling at night
I don't mean to be a bother,
But have you seen this girl?
She's been running through my dreams
And it's driving me crazy, it seems
I'm going to ask her to marry me

The neighbors said she moved away
Funny how it rained all day
I didn't think much of it then
But it's starting to all make sense
Oh, I can see now that all of these clouds
Are following me in my desperate endeavor
To find my whoever, wherever she may be

(Kennadee:)
I'm not coming back (forgive me)
I've done something so terrible
I'm terrified to speak (I'm not calling, I'm not calling)
But you'd expect that from me
I'm mixed up, I'll be blunt, now the rain is just (You're driving me crazy, I'm)
Washing you out of my hair and out of my mind
Keeping an eye on the world,
From so many thousands of feet off the ground, I'm over you now
I'm at home in the clouds, and towering over your head

(Alex:)
Well I guess I'll go home now...
I guess I'll go home now...
I guess I'll go home now...
I guess I'll go home


"Kennadee Demitri. Will you marry me?" he asked, pulling a velvet box out of his jacket.

"Yes, Alexander Gaskarth, I will" I grinned, tears brimming in my eyes. He put the ring on my finger, and stood up. He kissed me passionatley, picked me up, and spun me around.

"I love you" we chorused.
♠ ♠ ♠
The ring.

Kennadee's outfit

Da-Da-Done! I lied. There wasn't another chapter. If I wrote another chapter it'd be boring. This is the last chapter. I ended it very suckishly, it's kinda cute though. But whateverrrr. Go check out my new Jack Barakat story, called A Party Song. :)

Thanks for reading, subbing and commenting! 10 stars! Woot!

Ended with:
300+ readers
50-60+ subscribers
and 60+ comments.

Thank you.