Status: Also completed on Wattpad!

Celebrity Crush

Chapter 45

Chapter 45

November 26, 2009

It's Thanksgiving Day. The house smells so good. The food is fully cooked and decorating the kitchen stove, counters, and even the sink.

“Laura, could you please help me put up these desserts until after everyone has eaten?”

I turned my head from watching the TV with Rachel. I gave Momaw a smile and stood to my feet. My white flats hit the floor as I walked into the kitchen. Momaw was now standing in front of the stove and counter top. I walked over to where she was and looked at the counter. There were all kinds of bowls, plates, and other containers full of various desserts all over the counter top. To me it seemed like we had more desserts than regular food.

“Let's just put what can fit in the fridge for now. We don't want the little ones in them before they eat their food.”

I chuckled and nodded my head. I remembered last year’s Thanksgiving. Momaw and Karen had forgotten to put the deserts away and the little ones saw them and went on strike. It was so cute how they sat the table and crossed their arms demanding dessert first before the actual meal.

I grabbed a couple bowls in my arms and stood behind Momaw while she opened the fridge. I could hear the little ones in the living room now. Karen and Jack had spent most of the morning trying to get the younger ones all dressed for the day.

Momaw took the bowls from my arms and placed them in the fridge in the available places, which wasn't a very big space. I heard little footsteps running toward the kitchen and I saw Daphne running the entrance.

“Momaw look at me!” she said while twirling in her dress.

She was dressed in a white dress with small little pink roses all over it for decoration. Her hair was curled into pig tails on the side of her head and she looked so adorable. Momaw grinned widely at her and then walked toward her.

“Oh my Daphne, you look like a princess!”

Daphne giggled and grinned as Momaw picked her up and tickled her tummy. I watched from the side if the fridge as Momaw just enjoyed her youngest grandchild. I walked from my spot toward them and peaked over Momaw’s shoulder to see Daphne. When she would catch my eye I would move once again. She giggled every time she saw me but I wouldn't keep still.

“Alright I think that's enough. Daphne I think you need to go back into the living room with your brother.”

She pouted and Momaw placed her back on her feet. She looked at me and I gave her a grin, she smiled and then ran off into the living room. I chuckled and shook my head.

“I swear you have a gift with kids Laura.”

I shook my head at Momaw, “Yeah so, that doesn't mean I'm going to be having any of my own any time soon.”

“That's for sure. Mom, leave her alone, she's still in school for Christ sake.” said Aunt Karen as she came in the kitchen fully dressed as well.

Karen was dressed in a khaki skirt, green shirt, and a pair of brown flats on her feet. She hadn't over done her hair of makeup. She put more effort in dressing the younger ones up than herself.

Momaw just pouted, “Yeah I know that I just want some great grand babies since Rachel isn't getting with anyone or Sarah I had to try my closest grand-baby.”

Karen smiled while shaking her head. Suddenly the bell rang at the door. Momaw grinned and looked at the clock, “Well that would be some of my friends from the bingo place. I told them if they didn't have anything to do to come on by.”

Karen looked at Momaw and shook her head, “As long as you can find seating for everyone and we all get enough food I don't care.”

Momaw wiped her hands on the apron around her waist and walked toward the front door. I gave Karen a smile as she walked over to the stove.

“That woman doesn't think about all the people that are coming today. I think some of us will be eating in the living room on the couch, which will get the kids riled up about eating in their as well.”

I shook my head as I heard people walking into the house and around the living room. I heard older voices around Momaw’s age and Karen chuckled, “Real Bingo people.”

I laughed and walked into the living room. Momaw was talking to an older woman and an older man. Momaw turned her head toward me and smiled waving me toward her, “Laura come over here and let me introduce you to some of my friends.”

I walked toward her as she placed her arm around my back. I looked at the people standing in front of us. The woman was small with white curly hair on top of her head while the man had brown and gray hair on top of his head. They were both dressed warmly since people around their age get colder quicker and more often.

“Laura this is Joyce,” the small white curly headed woman, “and Guy,” the browned and gray haired man.

“Guys this is one of my many granddaughters, Laura May.”

As soon as she said my name their faces gave away huge grins telling that Momaw talked about me often.

“Aw she is just as lovely as you said Genelle.” said Joyce. She seemed like a real nice lady.

“I wish I could say the same thing. I haven't heard about you yet, we haven't talked lately.”

Joyce nodded her head a sudden frown coming to her face. She walked toward my taking me in her arms and giving me a comforting hug.

“Don't worry your friend is in God's house now.”

I smiled at the sudden memory of last thanksgiving. Alex and Kimi both called me on two to tell me thanksgiving. It seemed I had forgotten that tradition, my mind really wasn't with me today.

“Let's all get in the house and get ready for dinner.”

I looked at the clock on the wall to see it was saying 12:30pm. This thanksgiving meal was going to be a late lunch or more of a real dinner by the time we get to sit and eat. Momaw wouldn't let anyone eat until everyone arrived anyway so it was all good.

I walked off not before letting them know it was a pleasure meeting them and taking a seat on the couch next to Rachel. Rachel was in a light blue dress and flats on her feet, while her hair was straightened. She had her legs curled under her though while a blanket lay across her. The temperature had dropped a few degrees overnight so everyone was just a tad bit chilly.

“Rachel, if Momaw or anyone comes looking for me let them know I went to grab a sweater.”

She smiled and nodded, “Sure thing Laura.”

I sighed and stood to my feet. I didn't ask Rachel what happened during the talk with her father and mother yesterday, it wasn't my place to ask such personal things. She must be still thinking everything over that they had told her yesterday, she had been really quiet since they had all come back from the park.

She didn't even talk on the phone to anyone last night. We went straight to sleep and I had enough sleep that when the younger ones woke me I got right up. I even had as much energy as they had this morning, possibly more since they had taken an hour nap a couple hours after waking me and everyone else.

I walked up the stairs taking my time to get to the room. I rubbed my arms away from the cold hallway. The yellow dress shirt wasn't helping since it was shorter sleeve then I needed. I was grateful for myself picking out jeans at home instead of a skirt or dress for today, which would have been torture.

I pushed open the bedroom door as I got to it. Just as I enter the room I heard the doorbell ring once again telling me there were even more guests arriving. I walked in the room looking around for my brown sweater. I found it on the bedpost and grabbed it pulling my arms through the sleeves loving the warmth it gave my cold arms.

I grabbed my phone from the bedside table and walked out of the room.

“LAURA YOUR SISTER'S HER,” called out my grandmother.

I stopped my place in the middle of the hallway. What the hell was she doing here? Most of the time she's too busy with photo shoots to come for Thanksgiving. Last year she called the day before to let Momaw know not to expect her; Momaw had already cooked enough food to include her. Safe to say there was wasted food that went to the Salvation Army that year.

I gritted my teeth and plastered a fake smile on my face. Sarah was nothing but a backstabbing bitch. She stole mom's money and gave it to me and then mom took it from me. She'll probably confront Sarah about it and she'll deny everything which will put me in the bad graces of our mother, just like Sarah wants it.

With the fake smile plastered on my face I walk down the stairs. I see Sarah's long brown hair cascading down her back as she stands talking to Rachel while she's sitting on the couch. I sigh; Rachel will be hanging with Sarah now since they are closer in age or something.

Sarah is dressed in black skinny jeans but I can't see her shirt since she's turned away from me. I walk closer to them and then I see Sarah's holding the hand of a man standing beside her. Rachel's eyes find mine and it looks as if she's relieved.

“Laura there you are.”

Sarah turns around and I get a look at her shirt. It's a pink dress shirt that shows her cleavage in the right amount, without it being slutty. The man next to her turns as well and I swear he's familiar.

He looks older than her with black hair and dark blue eyes. In a weird way he's attractive like he should be on some shot of some Cologne. He's dressed in some black slacks, a gray shirt with a black vest over the top, and his shoes are covered in some black converse.

Sarah's actually wearing a pair of black flats with her beige jacket on top. She's grinning at me and walks toward me, “There's my one and only sister.”

For some reason I can't even pretend to act like we are still tight. I can't act like she didn't try to get me out of mom's radar. She walks toward me with her arms outstretched and I take a step to the right out of instinct. She almost falls but catches herself. She rises up and gives me a glare, “What the hell was that for Laura?”

I shrug and reply, “Maybe I don't like stealing backstabbing sisters?”

I walk off toward the kitchen hearing Rachel giggling from the couch.

**

Mostly everyone has arrived but my mom and Robert. It seems they want to be fashionably late today. Momaw keeps looking over at the clock while Karen frowns trying to keep the kids away from the food. Phil and Sam have both gotten hungry as well as others but Momaw refuses to start eating the food.

I take a sip from the coke in my hands and continue starring at the clock on the wall. Where are they? Has something happened to them? They should have been here by now. Rachel walks toward the couch where I'm sitting and frowns at me.

“Have you tried calling your mother?”

I look at her and shake my head, “No of course not. I haven't talked to her since they ran out of the house the other day. I wish Momaw would just let us eat. Mom doesn't care about anyone else but herself.”

Rachel sighs taking a sip of her own drink. For a few minutes we are quiet listening to the adults around us talking about whatever is on their mind. Suddenly the bell rings from the front door. It feels like everyone's holding their breath as Momaw walks to the front door. I knew if Karen answered it then we would be having another yelling match in front of guests this time.

The door flies open and I can hear voices clearly but they are mostly whispering so I can only make out so much. Everyone is quiet but I can still hear my heart beat in my chest like its loud enough for everyone else to hear it as well.

Will Robert walk through that door along with my mother or will she say that they broke up and that he when back to New York? I don't really care if he's not with me just as long as my mother doesn't have a claim on him.

The door opens wider and Momaw addresses the group, “Our last guest has arrived for dinner, Molly, my daughter.”

Mom walks into the house and you can hear a pin drop. Rachel is stiff beside me her eyes moving toward the kitchen and back to my mother. I take breath as she walks further in the room. Robert's not with her I realize as Momaw closes the door behind my mother.

Where could he be? Did something happen?

Mom's eyes move across the room and she finds Rachel. Her eyes widen and I can see she's having an internal debate. She walks toward Rachel and I and lowers herself down to Rachel's level.

“Rachel I am so sorry. It was not my place to say that in that manner. I hope someday soon you can forgive me for doing that. It was selfish, I didn't realize the repercussions of my actions at the time and I am so completely sorry.”

Rachel finally snaps back to reality and gives my mom, her aunt, a smile, “Thanks for the apology Aunt Molly, but it's going to take a lot more for me to really forgive you.”

Mom sighs, “Alright I sure hope that I can receive your forgiveness.”

Mom stands back to her feet and I finally take in what she's wearing. She's dressed in a purple and white skirt, purple shirt, dark jacket, and last but not least would be a pair of black heels.

Her eyes find me and she smiles, “Laura baby, there you are. Robert's running a little late, he wanted everyone to start eating since he knew we were late.”

I hear a snort in the crowd of guests. She holds out her hand to me and I take it despite my mixed feelings about it.

“You look beautiful today Laura.” says my mother as her eyes take in my outfit. There's something in her eyes that tells me she doesn't mean any of it she's just trying to get back in everyone's good graces.

“Well I guess since everyone's hungry we should start eating. Robert can get the leftovers if he gets back to late.” answers Momaw.

It feels as if the mood has lightened at the mention of food. The crowd moves toward the kitchen to find seats. Rachel comes to me and grabs my other hand as we walk toward the kitchen. Karen is directing everyone toward the dining room where everyone should take seats. Turns out Momaw and Karen have labeled some of the seats and I see that my chair is right next to Robert's. How did they know out of everyone here I would want to sit next to him the most?

Mom's sitting on the other side of Robert of course and Rachel is sitting on left while Robert's on my right. Sarah and her boyfriend are sitting on mom's other side. We all find our seats and find out that the younger kids will indeed be sitting in the living room at the kiddie table.

Sam volunteers to sit with his brother and sister so they don't make a mess. I smile at him knowing that he just doesn't want to be at the table with the awkward tension between my mom and Karen, his mother. There were plates in front of every chair and Momaw, with help from Jack and Karen bring in the bowls of food.

There was a bowl of black eye peas, pinto beans, baked beans, stuffing, corn bread, yams, rolls, cranberry sauce, mixed vegetables, mashed potatoes, homemade mac-and-cheese, and of course the turkey.

Jack sat the turkey right in the middle of the table so everyone could see the huge thing. I let out a giggle that the look on some people's face's, they were starving. Momaw took the seat at the head of the table, her house her table.

“Well after everyone has taken a seat we will say grace and then get started on this fabulous meal.”

Everyone chuckled and some groaned. Karen was busy fixing her younger kids plates before she could sit down. She apologized before she took her seat next to her husband Jack and Rachel. Karen smiled at me and despite the anger she had toward my mother, her sister, she smiled warmly at her.

Just as Momaw was order everyone to grab hands for grace the front door came opened.

“Vampire!” we all heard Daphne and Phil yell out. The people that knew who Robert was laughed and giggled at the sounds of the kids. We heard two set of footsteps coming toward the dining room, Sam and Robert stood in the entrance.

“Sorry I'm late I had something I had to take care of.”

Momaw smiles at him, “That's just fine Robert. Find your seat and grab hands with your neighbor we are about to say grace.”

His eyes move around the table. He finds mom's eyes first and I see a small frown form on his face but then he meets my eyes. The smile reaches to his eyes as he walks around the table.

He's dressed in a white button up shirt, jeans, and some tan boots. He pulls of his brown jacket and places it on the back of the chair. Taking a seat he grabs both my hand and mom's hand.

It's so weird how real this situation is as he hold both of our hands.

Everyone bows their heads and it's silent apart from the voices of the kids in the living room and the television playing in front of them.

“Dear Lord,” Momaw begins, “we sit at this table under your eyes and ask that you bless this food. We also ask that once everyone leaves this place that you keep a special eye on everyone here. We are all dealing with something very personal. Our young Laura needs your help the most I'm afraid. Losing a friend is very hard and she's going to need your help more than ever.

We ask that you bless both Molly and Robert's relationship and ask that you help them through this difficult time. I ask of you that you give them the guidance to help young Laura through this horrible time.

For our other child, Rachel, we ask that you bless her and her family. There was sure to be difficult times ahead with a revelation that was brought to the surface. We ask that you help Rachel make sense of everything in her young life.

And last but certainly not least we thank you for bringing us all together at this time. The table would be awfully empty without our guests. In god's we say,” a pause from Momaw and the entire table says, “Amen.”

Everyone's looking at me know, some know what happened and are giving me pitiful looks while others are confused since they don't know what happened.

Momaw replies, “We let's dig in. Be sure to ask for someone next to you to pass you some food.”

No one waste's time as they all start looking around and grabbing bowls of food. I managed to grab the bowl of mac-and-cheese before everyone else and pile my plate with the first helping. Rachel smiles at me and motions for the bowl.

I smile at her and hand it to her watching as she fills her plate with some as well. There's plenty of food to go around as everyone is filling their plates.

“Robert?” I ask as he's finishing with the bowl of baked beans.

He looks at me and smiles warmly.

“Yes?”

I chuckle, “The bowl please. I love baked beans.”

He chuckles and hands me the bowl. I pour out a good help and then Rachel taps my shoulder for her turn. I manage to fill my plate with mac-and-cheese, baked beans, 2 rolls, yams, mashed potatoes, stuffing, and turkey, along with a small bowl filled with pinto beans and cornbread mixed together.

I didn't mess with the bowl of mixed vegetables because there were a few I didn't like very much. The yams were something new and I wanted to try them. The problem with so much food was having enough room for dessert.

All the adults were gathered in conversation around me as I sat quietly eating my food. My minds preoccupied with thoughts of home and my friends. I think back to the day when Alex's parents pulled the plug. How is their thanksgiving without Alex this year? Is everyone quiet, afraid that any sign of happiness will be wrong?

“Laura?”

My head snaps up and I look at Rachel. She's giving me a confused but sad look on her face.

“Yeah?”

She bites her lip before talking, “My mom won't tell me what grandma was talking about; she says that it's not her place to say. I know it's probably really bad but I just wanted to know what she was talking about with your friend.”

I sigh and lower my eyes to the table. I can feel other eyes on me and I can hear some of the conversations stopping to pay attention to what I have to say.

“Well basically a few years back mom had this boyfriend. His name's Benny. He seemed like such a great guy but then he changed. He stole some money from my mom and I managed to tell her about it. She got him in her lawyer's office and confronted him. He stole over fifty thousand dollars from mom's joined accounts she had.

The police were there and took him in custody but he broke away from them. He didn't show up again until I was alone at home. He broke in and destroyed my room and threw books at me. I woke in the hospital later and found out what he did to me. He didn't get the chance to rape me then so he went back to prison since mom found him with her cop friends.

He was then released for good behavior and he evaded his parole officer for some time. Well I had this friend Alex Mason. He was one of my best friends and well he got involved with Ben through his relatives. Alex had this problem with drugs before I met him and they got him involved with using that.

Me, my friend Kimi, and Alex were all at this party with the popular crowd. I didn't know it at the time that the people I was hanging with her nieces and nephews of Ben. They had given me some kind of drink laced with some kind of drug that caused me to pass out.”

I stopped to take a breath and I could tell everyone was listening to me now. All the conversations had stopped and then I felt Robert's hand discretely under the table rubbing my hand comfortingly.

“So basically I was kidnapped for three days, maybe more I can't really remember. I don't want to get into specifics right now because I don't like thinking about it. At the end of the kidnapping Ben got mad about all the high school drama he was dealing with. His relatives came in a shot him but not before He shot the rest of us.

Um I woke in the hospital next to find out that I had been shot but nowhere important. Ben's nephew, Blake, had been shot and killed. I'm friends with Ben's niece, Annie and Blake's sister. She's really great. That night Kimi had gotten into a wreck since she had been drinking so she was in a coma when I woke. Alex had been shot in a more dangerous part; I didn't catch everything doc said. Kimi woke though after I visited her.

I think it was the eighth when I visited Alex to find out that his parents were pulling the plug,” I heard a couple gasps from people but Rachel's eyes widened. “See they were moving and couldn't wait on him to wake up if he was ever going to. Plus the thing about Alex was he was bisexual and was dating Blake at the time, I personally think he felt Blake's presence gone from our world and he went to join him.

They are having his funeral and visitations on the 12th of December, why they wait so long I suppose because of them moving and the holidays.”

I sniffed my nose and then suddenly Rachel's arms were around me holding me to her, “I am so completely sorry. I shouldn't have asked that wasn't my place.”

I smiled as she pulled away, “You are my cousin, and you had a right to ask. I know he's dead but he didn't look right hooked to all those machines. They were living for him and I don't think he would have wanted that. He's at peace now and no longer hurting. I can only wonder what him and Blake are getting into up in heaven.”

Just like that the atmosphere changed as people stared chuckling. This wasn't a time to pout over things we've lost but to rejoice and give thanks for the things we have been given.

**

Sometime later Karen put the younger kids to bed since they were getting tired again. All the adults that were still here were gathered around the table. Sarah and her boyfriend had left right after diner because mom confronted her about the money she had given me. Of course Sarah being Sarah lied and said she didn't steal the money. Mom stared giving me weird looks then, making me feel like she thought I really did steal the money.

Sam even joined us at the table now that there was more room.

“Okay now is time for desert and a special family tradition of ours.

Rachel and I chuckled, “Yeah Momaw a tradition to get fat.”

Everyone started laughing remembering the game. Joyce and Guy were still here and a little confused at what we were laughing at. Robert just smiled not in on it either.

Karen and Jack stood with bowls and plates of deserts and placed them on the table.

“Everyone get something you like, there should be enough for everyone. I pulled the pecan pie closer cutting a triangle from the middle, then the sock-it-to-me cake, and not to mention a small helping of wafer pudding.

Robert looked at me funny as he had only grabbed some pie. He didn't what he was missing out on with this food.

“Okay now that everyone has gotten there piece we shall start. For those of you that are new to this; our tradition is like this. We give thanks to anything in our lives. Afterward we take a bite of each desert we have. Everyone listening takes two bites from one desert they have. So if you run out of desert before everyone's done than you are required to get more. I know this is a terrible tradition but it's worked out over the years.

So being at the head of the table I shall go first,

I give thanks for everything I've blessed with, for having such wonderful grandchildren and for seeing a young girl grow to such a fantastic woman.”

She was looking right at me before she took a bite from her three deserts. She had pecan pie, lemon pie, and pudding. Everyone took a turn, Karen being thankful for small miracles basically her daughter not being angry with her for keeping something from her, Jack was thankful for such a wonderful daughter that he himself couldn't have created such magnificence, and then Rachel being thankful for such a great cousin to help her see that her life really is perfect in every since of the word.

It was my turn then and I smiled at everyone, “Last year I was thankful for great friends and family. This year I'm still grateful for that as well. Kimi is such a great friend but there's something else that I'm far more grateful for,” I wanted to say loving Robert but I couldn't say that in front of my mother, “I have to say Robert. He's different than my mother's other men; he came and made me take notice of everything that has happened in my life. He and Kimi this year have turned my life around for the better. So this year on top of my friends, and my family, I am thankful for Robert Pattinson coming into my family, not many people can say they know the Edward Cullen, but not just for that but for everything he has taught me in the short amount of time I've known him. All I can say Robert is welcome to the family.”

Everyone starts clapping and I look to see Robert staring at me with his face all bloodshot, he's blushing. I know he wants to kiss me right now but that's not possible and probably won't ever be possible.

I take a bite from all my deserts and then it's Robert's turn.

“Well that was something else. I don't know if I can top that or not. Here is goes, this year I'm thankful for so much, my career, family, and the Molly's family. To be honest when Molly told me she had two kids I was scared. I didn't quite know what they would think of me barging in taking that dad role. Meeting Laura here wasn't what I expected. I had covered my face with shades and after removing them she hadn't screamed or yelled for an autograph, she was mature even though I could tell she was shocked.

When she went missing after being kidnapped Molly wasn't the only scared out of their mind, I was as well, and she has become part of my family. I suppose I love her just as much as much as anyone would. So this year I am thankful for Molly coming into my life and letting me meet each and every one of you because if she hadn't I wouldn't have known what a real American family was like, not to mention having my first Thanksgiving.”

Everyone laughed as they took their bite and Robert took his last bite and then got another desert. Mom was next but I wasn't paying attention. I could tell he meant every word he had said during that. There were so many hidden words in his speech but the one thing that stayed true was meeting Molly, my mom. For if he hadn't met my mother he would have met me and even I had to be thankful my mom was dating my celebrity crush and now man I was in love with, Robert Pattinson.

---
♠ ♠ ♠
Author's Note:

Well there's the chapter of thanksgiving. The next chapter is the goodbyes and the heading back home with Molly and Robert. I think everyone will like the next few chapters just to give a small hint.

Laura's outfit: http://www.polyvore.com/laura_celebrity_crush_thanksgiving/set?id=45575210&lid=258026