Status: Also completed on Wattpad!

Celebrity Crush

Chapter 54

Chapter 54

Annie hopped on her bike and I hopped inside my jeep. I could over hear the argument from inside the house and I just giggled. I started the jeep and backed out following Annie to her house.

I started getting confused as I we headed to the outer part of town. I had never been to this part of town since I didn't know anyone here. Mom always said that this side of town wasn't for people like us. As we got farther from town I saw what she meant.

This side of town was the farthest part of downtown away from all the police. There were women in skimpy outfits like prostitutes on the side of the road. Annie turned down a street that took us away from this side of town but closer to the police part.

She made a detour and my eyes widen. She drove under a sign and my eyes bugged out of my head.

Tate Trailer Park

I didn't have anything against anyone that lived in a trailer. They were sometimes better than a normal regular house. I remember staying in one before and it wasn't half bad. It just surprised me that Annie lived here because of the way she acted. She had nice looking clothes and her bike was always well kept. I suppose it was the way society made trailer park people seem, red neck people that had holes in their clothes.

Annie was neither. She drove her bike to the far end of the park and turned toward a large double wide trailer. She pull her bike up the front door and cut the engine. I could see tire tracks where I could park. I cut the engine as I made sure I was parked right.

I watched Annie move from her bike and look at me.

“Sorry I never told you or Kimi. It's just things changed after Blake died. Mom lost the house the week after his funeral but she had enough money to move us here. My grandmother lived here once before she died and they all remembered her so we got a discount. Mom's never home so don't worry about her coming home anytime soon.”

She waived me toward her after I grabbed my bag from the backseat. I walked toward her as she walked up the front porch steps toward the front door. I climbed the steps up the porch and waited behind her as she opened the front door. Once the door was unlocked she stepped aside and let me walk in first. The door opened up into the living room and I smiled at the open space.

The living room was so open with a huge brown soft couch against the windows at the back. Then there was love seat against the other far wall. She even had a fireplace and for that I frowned.

“It's not fair that you have a fireplace and I don't.”

She chuckled, “Yeah well you aren't missing anything. We haven't used the damn thing yet nor do we have the wood to start a fire with.”

She shrugged and walked past me toward the kitchen/dining room. The kitchen was huge but there weren't many cabinets, not like home. They had a bar that sat in between the living room and kitchen which was used as more of a counter than a bar. There was only one bar stool which gave off that impression.

“You can just sit your bag on the floor for now. My room's over here anyway since Mom's never home these days.”

I nodded and dropped my bag in front of the bar. She pulled her jacket off and tossed it on the couch and then kicked off her shoes. Her bag was thrown to the floor as she walked around with just socks on her feet.

“Are you hungry by any chance?”

I shook my head, “Not really. The junk food from Kimi's stuffed me enough.”

She nodded her head, “I understand but now I've gotten hungry once again from all the moving around. If you want some of my food you can have some.”

She pulled out a huge jar of cheese sauce Fritos brand and then she went over to the pantry. I watched her pull out a bag of nachos and then she brought all of it over to the couch.

“Please have a seat.”

I took a seat next to her on the couch. The used the remote to turn on the TV and found some music station, Sirius XM radio.

“So start talking.”

I bit my lip, “Well during October I came home to see my mother dating Robert. At the time he was just my celebrity crush nothing more. As time progressed things changed because I saw how their relationship was. Nothing happened before the party on the ridge but afterward things changed. I mean I was getting closer to him. It was during the kidnapping that I realized I had let myself fall for him against my better judgment. He was there at the hospital when I woke and then after Kimi woke she made me agree to dress up for the dance.

Then there was that insane, stupid, dance at school that changed everything. I had danced with him and he was going to kiss me but my mother interrupted it. Later on when I got back, mom and Robert left earlier my sister was supposed to inform me about their departure but she was being lazy about it. Anyway I got home and it was dark. I got something to drink and came from the kitchen only to be pushed into the wall.

Basically Robert was my first kiss that night. The next day though he ran off. My mom had whispered in her sleep that she loved him and he ran off. We've been having an affair behind her back since the dance.”

She nodded dipping a chip in the cheese sauce, “When did you sleep with him?”

I sighed as my cheeks warmed, “How can you tell?”

She humphed, “Trust me the only reason your mother hasn't realized it is because she looks the other way. She refuses to acknowledge the fact that she's in the way of true love. I could tell that you two had slept together by the look on your face after you realized they had slept together again on the couch or something.”

My eyes widened, Annie was more perceptive than I gave the girl credit for.

“Well basically last Saturday night. We had a date and he took me to this romantic place with a private room and everything. We came back home and I that's what I wanted. I didn't want to wait for someone else in like college and give it away to someone I don't really love. The next day we did it again after breakfast in bed. It was after the shower that mom called about being back in town. She had been in LA because of some client of hers was in a car crash and she was needed. I haven't talked to him in a week now and I don't know what to think right now. I mean I understand we can't be together but he shouldn't be dragging me around like this knowing it isn't going anywhere.”

Annie turned to me and looked me in the eye, “If he was to break it off would you let him or would you fight as hard as you could for him?”

The answer was simple, “No I would fight as hard as I could.”

**

Annie's house was great things were fantastic. She gave another perspective that I hadn't even thought about. Our affair was going to get out eventually and when it did would I still want to be with him was the true question.

Annie was the one to bring that to light. She had found sites on the internet that praised Robert's and mom's relationship. These people would hate me one hundred percent. Then there were other sites that hated my mother. Said she was too old for Robert and that he should find someone younger instead of older.

There were pictures of them all over the place. People picking at everything, from hand brushing, to eye contact. Were they in love? Was this real? Was this just for promotion of the movie Remember Me? Many questions that I hadn't even thought about before.

Turns out, Annie goes to a school closer to her house. Annie has promised that she'll get me up in time for school tomorrow. I walk out of the bathroom after showering and smile at Annie. She's lying on her stomach watching TV. Her attention fully absorbed in what she's watching.

I walk toward the air mattress on the floor and collapse on top. I had blown dried my hair since I didn't want to deal with the mess in the morning. My phone was still turned off because I didn't want to hear it from everyone. I wonder if mom called Kimi's to see if I was there.

I shrugged, “Laura what time do you usually go to bed?”

I bit my lip as I look at her regular clock hanging on the wall, “About an hour from now.”

She nodded her head, “Well I'm kind of tired do you want to go to call it a night early or not? I promise to have you up in the morning so you can cook yourself some breakfast. I usually just eat cereal since I normally run late to school.”

I sigh, “Sure that sounds fine. Maybe some sleep will do me some good.”

She nodded and then turned the TV off. The room was quiet and then I pulled the small blanket up over my body and then found the pillow Annie had given me to use. She got her bed ready as I was getting comfortable on my air mattress.

She grabbed a flash light and then walked to the light switch turning it off. She shone the light from the flash light around the room to get back to her bed. The room was the master bedroom, biggest in the trailer. Since her mother was never home lately she had taken this room.

“Sweet Dreams, Laura.”

“You too, Annie.” I yawned and brought my hand up to caught yawn as it came from my mouth.

I closed my eyes welcoming the much needed sleep.

December 7, 2009

The next morning Annie woke me up bright and early. I had to get up early than normal since she lived so far from my school.

“Come on. You should eat before getting dressed.”

I nodded a sleepy frown on my face. I rubbed the sleep sand from my eyes and somehow managed to stand to my feet. Annie had walked out of the room soon after she had woke me up so I walked ahead into the kitchen after her. She was pulling out a bowl, box of cereal, and the jug of milk for her bowl of cereal.

“There are some pancakes and sausage on a stick in the freezer if you want those. They take about twenty minutes to cook though.”

I nodded, “Sounds fine to me. I'm still half asleep so my stomach hasn't woke up.”

She nods listening to me as she fixes her bowl. I walk over to their fridge and open the top finding the huge box of link sausage and pancakes on a stick. I sit the box on the counter as I close the fridge back. Opening the box I grab three putting the box back in the freezer. I walk over to the stove and turn the oven on to preheat before I place the food inside. I find a metal pan and tear the plastic off the food and sit them in the pan waiting for the stove to heat up.

“That stove heats pretty fast. Two minutes and it's hot enough.”

I sigh and open the oven feeling the heat coming from inside. I place the pan inside and then find a timer on the counter putting in the twenty minutes needed to cook the food.

I take a seat across from Annie as she's eating her breakfast.

“So Annie what school do you attend?”

She looks up from her bowl, “Oh Gaimes High.”

I nod surprised, “I used to attend that school back in freshman year.”

She nods, “Yeah well mom enrolled me there junior year after the divorce. My brother had just graduated so he was bouncing between our parents. He stayed here most of the time when I was here. Dad didn't want me around his new family since I wasn't his so I stayed here with mom.”

I nodded, “Well that sucks. My cousin Rachel just found out that the man that has been raising her most of her life isn't biological father. The thing is though she loves him still and he hasn't pushed her away. She obviously wants to meet her real dad but she's come to the decision that my uncle, the man who raised her, is her dad anyway. I mean like Kimi said anyone can be a father it takes a real man to be a dad.”

She smiles, “Kimi was right. I mean I knew the man that I called dad wasn't my dad at age ten. I came across my birth certificate and I ran straight to me brother. I was crying because I was afraid he wasn't really my brother since we didn't have the same father. He calmed me down and reassured me that we were still brother and sister and no one could tear us apart.

I met my real father in middle school. The man was an ass, a druggie. He let his life take downhill spiral after he met my mother. He never knew about me and when he did find out he could care less. I mean I met his family, or my family, depends on how you look at it. Anyway the people were nice but I could tell I wasn't wanted. The last time I talked to him was right when I entered high school and I haven't since. Come to think of it that's when mom and dad, as I call him, started fussing more. He didn't like the fact that I was trying to make a connection with my real father so things just collapsed.”

I sighed, “Don't feel bad. My parents split about three months after my sister moved out. They argued when she was there but nothing like after she left. I remember times when he came in from work and they would wake me from my sleep. Late night talk shows were how I spent most of my night. The day consisted of trying not to fall asleep in class.

My father worked a lot while my mother sat at home. She was the stay home mom type while my sister lived with us. Then after my sister left, things just changed. The first argument they had, was about mom returning to work. Dad didn't think it was right to leave me alone but I told them I was getting older she could trust me. Mom started applying for places and as dad realized that she was being serious he surprised her with divorce papers.

It wasn't like I didn't see it coming or anything, because I did. They just didn't really love each other anymore. I suppose after the divorce their feelings turned to hatred and I was included. I look a lot like my father so my mom doesn't want to have anything to do with me. My father on the other hand hated that I had chosen mom to live with so he stopped having anything to do with me. I didn't really choose my mom, the papers chose for me. I was still a minor and they pull me out of the school was already going to so it was declared that I would stay with mom.”

Annie nodded as she ate the last bite of her cereal, “If I have my way about it, I won't ever get married. Seems like a sham if you ask me. No matter what the kids get lost in the chaos and the parents are so concerned with their lives to see how they are affecting the ones care about most. I think your food's almost done.”

Just as she finished the timer went off. I sighed as I stood to my feet walking over to the stove. I turned the knob for the oven off and then grabbed the pot holders. Carefully as I could manage I used the pot holders to get the pan of food from the oven. I smiled as I smelled the pancakes and the sausage underneath. Annie was placing her bowl in the sink now and she found a bowl for me.

“Bowls are easier to use than a plate with these things. Just pour some syrup in the bottom and you can dip them in the syrup. Now since I didn’t shower last night, like you did, I have some extra time so I need to shower.”

I nodded my head watching her run off to her room. I shook my head and grabbed the bowl putting in the food and then walked to the pantry finding the syrup fast enough. Taking a seat at the table alone I sat and ate thinking about school today.

I wasn’t quite sure what the day was going bring and that kind of nerved me out. I could only guess that Kimi would be hounding me once she found out I didn’t stay at home last night but went to Annie’s

I sighed finish eating and went to get dressed.

**

I left for school before Annie since she lived so far away from my school. I tossed my backpack to the passenger seat and then started the engine. Sighing I backed out of her yard and started the tedious drive to school. The lights seemed to drag on forever at every stop I had to make.

At the last light before the school I pulled my phone from my purse hanging across my torso. I pressed the end button bringing it to life. The light changed to green and I hit the gas dropping my phone back inside my purse.

I pulled into the parking lot of the school trying to find a parking place in the crowd lot. Before I parked my jeep I spotted Kimi’s white car and grinned. There was a spot right beside hers and I pulled into the space. I hardly ever got to park next to Kimi with the parking lot always being so packed.

I wished I would have looked into the car before pulling in. I needed a few minutes to think of a story to tell Kimi. Suddenly I jumped after hearing her car door slam as I cut the engine to my jeep. Looking out of the front glass I could see Kimi walking around to the driver side door with a determined look on her face.

I closed my eyes for a split second as I heard her footsteps getting closer to my door. She pulled the door opened and I heard her huff causing my eyes to snap open.

“Laura! What the hell? Do you not know how to return fucking phone calls? Your damn mother was calling my house last night harassing my mother about where the hell you were. You weren’t answering any calls from her or Robert so I tried to call. Then you didn’t answer any of mine which worried the hell out of me. Laura that wasn’t nice, I was really worried about you when your mom called and said you stormed out with some girl.”

I sighed, “I had my phone off. I didn’t want to hear her excuses. I was stupid enough to invited Annie inside the house. Long story short we ended up leaving five minutes later and I went to Annie’s. She was still upset over her brother’s death and I could tell she didn’t want to be alone that was the reason I invited her over to begin with so I just went to her house.”

Kimi lowered her eyes, “So Annie knows now huh? At least we don’t have to keep secrets or walk on egg shells when she’s around. Does she know about, you know?”

I sighed nodding my head, “She could tell as soon as Robert opened the door.”

Kimi nodded showing a smile. I could tell she wanted to know more but being the great friend she is she press for more information.

“Come on, let’s get to class. You can check that phone of yours at lunch.”

I smiled and grabbed my backpack hoping out to follow her into the building. I managed to look toward Alex’s and Max’s lockers and a gasp came from my lips. Kimi stopped as she heard me. Her eyes followed mine and we both took in the sight before us.

The lockers were clean. There weren’t any pictures stuck to the front and the words had been washed clean. They were awaiting any new students that would arrive to add their books or their many pictures for the duration of their time here.

“Come on Laura. We need to get to your locker before class.”

I sniffed as Kimi took my hand in hers pulling me toward my locker.

**

School had been torture, plain and simple. There were pop quizzes in most of my classes since in a few weeks exams would take place. I was so sure I had failed the one in math but aced the one for creative writing.

Kimi waved goodbye to me, she had weeks’ worth of homework to complete. Most of it had been class work she missed from the week she had been gone. After she called her mom letting her know about the work her mom told her no company until she had all of it completed. I understood where Jennifer was coming from considering Kimi and I were seniors this year and it was crucial we pass all of our subjects the first time.

Kimi and her mother had heard from Alex's mother while I had been at Annie's. Alex funeral and everything had set for December 12th. I wasn't looking forward to watching my friend's body get put in the ground for the rest of eternity. I didn't want to think about how his body wouldn't stay the same in that box they would put him in.

I sighed as I hopped inside my jeep throwing my backpack to the passenger seat. My phone had been full of missed calls, mostly from Robert and Kimi. Mom had only tried twice which showed how much she really cared.

Between Kimi and Robert’s calls I had over twelve missed calls. I shook my head at Kimi at lunch. She had looked embarrassed telling me she had no idea she called that many times, six times. Robert had left a couple of messages but I could tell my mom was overhearing him so they were short with no love in his voice.

I started the engine and started the long boring drive home. I had homework from three classes not including the story I had to write for creative writing before Christmas break. I made the right turns at the right times finally finding my neighborhood.

The SUV was gone and I blew out a breath of air I hadn’t realized I had been holding. I pulled my jeep right in front of the garage and cut the engine. I looked out the window as I unhooked the seat belt. The neighborhood is the same as usual as I grab my backpack stepping out of the jeep. I looked down at the end of the drive way and decide to check the mail. Mom usually checks it most of the time when she’s home so I never really worry about it. Plus when mom’s gone she pays her bills over the phone or over the internet so I don’t have to check it when she’s gone.

I pull one strap of my backpack over one arm and walk down the concrete driveway. I take a deep breath and I pull down the front cover. There are quite a few envelopes as I grab them in my hands and shut the cover once again.

Walking back to the front door and I take a look to see if anything’s for me, which it never really is. I get to the front door as I continue seeing bills for mom with a couple of advertisements. I stick in the key in the front door and open the door stepping inside. The heat is on a low setting so the house isn’t really that cold.

I walk through the house toward the kitchen knowing to leave the bills on the counter for mom. I push the doors open to the kitchen and finish looking over the envelopes. I let my backpack fall from my arm as I step to the counter and come across a red envelope.

The front is most blank with only “LAURA” in black marker on the front. Curiosity got the best of me and I tear open the top not even thinking about it before I do it. Part of me wishes I had thought before I ripped open that envelope. Another part of me wishes I had put it threw a paper shredder because nothing good came from that envelope.

I turn the envelope upside down letting the papers fall out. A gasp comes from my mouth as I see scattered across the kitchen counter pictures of mine and Robert’s date night. There are pictures of us eating, dancing, and even kissing.

The pictures are done far enough away to still see who it is in the pictures with no blur but far enough away that we never noticed the person that was taking them. Tears stream down my face as I grab a picture of Robert and I dancing while staring into each other’s eyes.

My eyes move from the photo across the counter. I spot a piece of blank paper and drop the photo. I quickly turn it over but wish I hadn’t. Ben will pay for this, he will never stop and I will have to stop him myself.

I blink the tears away as I read the note on more time before running toward my room sobbing my heart out.

“I’m watching you!”