‹ Prequel: A Part Of Me

The Webs We Weave

Chapter 10

Broden POV

“Aunty Brody!” I heard Phoenix and Leila yell from somewhere in the house; I was in my room looking at a photo of Ronnie and I. Blake was standing beside me with her pajamas in her hands; but when I heard my two nieces call for me I dropped the photo and picked Blake up.

“Girls, what’s wrong?” I asked as I reached them; all they did was point out to the backyard. I saw through the glass door that Gab and Ronnie were here; I placed Blake on her feet as I saw Alexis lying on the ground.

“Everyone stay with Leila and stay inside” I ordered them before I ran outside; I slammed the back door shut as I ran over the porch. Within seconds I was running over to Lex; Gab was the only one who wasn’t standing over Alexis.

“Max call an ambulance, Craig and Ronnie move; give Lex some space” I told them as I pushed past Ronnie so I could knee beside Alexis; Max was quick to get the hospital on the phone.

“Craig; there’s a bottle of coke in the fridge, can you go get it please” I told him as I gently shook Alexis’ body; I needed her to wake up. Even if it was a little because I needed to get some sugar into her and I needed to do it now.

I could feel Ronnie’s eyes burning into the back of my head but I ignored him; I was to busy with looking after my best friend right now. Craig was quick to return with the bottle of coke; Alexis was slowly starting to come around so she was able to take sips of coke when I offered it to her.

“Mommy?” I heard Blake’s soft voice speak from behind me; I quickly whipped my head around to see Blake was slowly walking towards us all. Alexis was starting to fall in and out of unconsciousness but I didn’t panic because I heard the sound of the ambulance.

“Don’t you even fucking think about it” Max snapped at Ronnie; Ronnie was just about to pick Blake up but Max shoved him away from her. Blake just looked confused so she stood there looking between Max and Ronnie; Max picked her up into his arms before Ronnie could do or say anything more.

“I think it’s time for you both left” Craig said in a cold voice to Ronnie and Gab; Max went to tell the paramedics what happened and guide them over to us. I saw him tighten his grip on Blake as he walked past Ronnie.

“No way…” Ronnie started to argue back with Craig but I wasn’t going to let him stay with Lex; she didn’t want him around her right now.

“Ronnie please just go” I said quietly as Max and the two paramedics walked over to us; I looked up into my brother’s eyes and saw all the pain and hurt in them.
“I promise I will call you later with an update” I begged him as I stood up facing him; the paramedics were now looking after Alexis. Max was quick to stand beside me; his free hand grabbed my arm gently and I knew he wanted me away from Ronnie. I heard Gab scoff as she walked away with Ronnie; once he was at the gate he turned around to glance at me and Lex one more time.

Hospital

I was pacing like mad in the waiting room; I really did hate waiting like this, I wasn’t good at waiting. Max and Craig were sitting silently in chairs; Craig was holding is head in his hands while Max was watching me pace. I had called Dad and asked him if he could come over to look after the kids; he was more then happy too. He arrived just as Max and I were getting ready to drive to the hospital; Craig went with Lex in the ambulance.

“Babe, Lex will be fine alright. You need to stop beating yourself up about what happened” Max told me as he grabbed my hand making me stop pacing; it was amazing how well he knew me and how well he could read me. I was thinking about if I had just been there with Lex then she might have not fainted, or if I made sure she ate something then she wouldn’t have fainted. But no I was just thinking about myself and feeling sorry for myself.

“I should have been…” I started to say while Max pulled me down to him; I sat on his lap as he wrapped his arms tightly around my waist. I leaned into his warm body letting my head rest on his shoulder.

“Brodes none of this is your fault, don’t you dare blame yourself. All of us should have made sure Lexi was feeling alright; I mean she did have a big day and it would have been hard on you both” Craig told me as he gently rubbed my knee; I nodded at him before his phone started ringing. He had told Robert, Bryan and Michael what had happened; then they told the girls but Craig told everyone to stay at home.

“Bryan is just getting annoyed that the doctors are taking so long to talk to us” Craig chuckled to himself while reading his new text message. While I was cuddling with Max and Craig was rubbing my knee I was suddenly feeling quiet tired; today had taken a lot out of me, especially all the crying that I had done.

“The family of Alexis Briggs?” A doctor called out as he entered the waiting room; there was an old couple sitting close to the door, a mother with two young kids sitting near the toys, and a mother with her teenage son sitting across the room from us.

“That’s us” Craig breathed out as we all stood up quickly; all I wanted to do was get to Lex’s room and see her. We followed the doctor through the hallways; he told us that the reason Alexis fainted was because her sugar level had gotten to low. But he did tell me that she could have been worse if I didn’t get some sugar into her blood stream.

“Oh thank God” I signed as I saw Alexis sitting in her hospital bed eating some jellybeans; I rushed over to her as fast as I could. I threw myself into her open arms and fell onto her bed slightly; we just hugged for what seemed like hours. We both laughed a bit when Craig started to whine about me not sharing Lexi around; we smiled at each other as I moved away so Craig could hug her too.

“I’m never going to let you out of my sight again Lexi” Craig said after Max had hugged her too. Max and Craig were sitting on the couch while I was sitting on the end of the bed; at least Alexis was looking a lot better and she wasn’t as pale as before. It was funny how annoyed she got when the nurses came in to check on her; they had to check on her like every 2 hours.

“Well I’m just going to call Dad and check on the kids” I smiled as I started to walk out of Alexis’ room; it wasn’t a lie because I did call Dad first but I also called Ronnie.

“Brody! Thank you so much for calling me, how’s Alexis?” Ronnie asked me straight away; the phone only rang twice before he picked up.

“She’s fine now; the doctor is going to keep her in overnight just to keep an eye on her. She only fainted because her sugar level got to low; but she’s totally fine now” I told my brother as I saw on a plastic chair across from Alexis’ doorway.

“I thought she had her diabetes under control? Dad told me” Ronnie told me; I signed as I ran my hand through my hair.

“She did have it under control but I guess today was just to much for her; I don’t think she had eaten anything since breakfast” I explained to him; I hated how awkward we were with each other now. We’ve never been like this before and it was so uncomfortable.

“Look Brody; I am so sorry about what happened today. I hate that I let Gab hurt you, I hate that I didn’t protect you, I hate what I said to you. But I’m not going to lie to you; what I said was the truth, I do feel like that but I had no right saying it so harshly to you” Ronnie told me as he softened his voice.

“Ronnie I know that I haven’t been there for you lately and I hate it; but I honestly don’t know what to say to you. I mean you’re my big brother and Alexis is my best friend; I’m not taking sides and I never will take sides. I’m in the middle of this and I don’t know what to do” I said blinking back the tears that were forming in my eyes; I didn’t want to start crying again today.

“I understand that I really do; but it would have been nice if you came to see me or called me. I missed you Brodes; I need you in my life” Ronnie begged me just as Max walked through Alexis’ doorway; his eyes instantly found me sitting there so he walked over to me and he sat next to me.

“Ronnie, you hurt me so much today. You broke my heart without even knowing or caring; I just don’t know how I feel right now” I told me quietly before hanging up on him; I closed my phone as Max wrapped his arms around me. I leaned into him yet again; he pressed his lips onto mine for a loving kiss.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment please everyone =D