So This Is Love

Rachel Sinclair

Frank Iero's Point of View

“Are you ready yet?” my father asked me as he was doing something on his BlackBerry phone.

“Just about,” I told him, properly adjusting my tie. I put on my sweater and went downstairs, only to meet my mother.

“Frank, you look quite handsome. Now, you do know what we have planned today, correct?” she asked me.

“Yes mother,” I said.

“Terrific. The caterers should be arriving at any moment now. We will speak to them for about ten minutes apiece and sample the food that they brought. Now, Rachel will arrive in a minute. She will be accompanied by her parents, so do not make act childish. I shouldn’t have to tell you this anymore, but be on your very best behavior. We need to impress the Sinclair’s, not make them afraid of us. If that happens, then the marriage will be canceled,” she told me. I nodded and my mother went off to prepare the guest living room.

There were two white velvet couches placed across from each other. On one side of the room, on the side of the house, there was a giant window, which my Mom opened the curtains to. The room instantly lit up and brought more of a warm feeling to it rather than the cold and empty feeling that I normally got. Looking out of the window, you could see the garden and pool, and a very small piece of concrete that was a path to the pool, leading from the driveway. The grass everywhere on our property was rich green. People were ultimately amazed at the beauty of our estate, but it was becoming boring for me.

Rachel Sinclair… she was my fiancée by “force”. A lot of people look at me crazy when I tell them this, but it’s completely true. Rachel and I were settled in this same living room only a month ago and told that we were to be wedded in April. Instead of throwing a hissy fit and acting completely inappropriate, I thought that it was quite exciting. Besides the fact that you're marrying a stranger, it would be fun.

Rachel was very beautiful. Her eyes were blue and her hair was shoulder-length, naturally brown but dyed blond with the exception of some low lights. Her skin was completely blemish free and her nails were always manicured. We have only had one meaningful conversation, but it was wonderful. In my own opinion, we were perfect for each other.

“Frank,” I turned and saw my beautiful fiancé standing there, smiling. She wore a pink shirt with a pink and black argyle sweater vest and a simple, knee-length black skirt. She looked very professional.

“It’s nice to see you again, Rachel,” I told her.

We gave one another a very brief hug. That was the only physical contact that we ever really have.

Now, a lot of people wonder why two normal American families would want to marry off their children. In other cultures, it’s because it’s purely tradition or religion and they have more of a valid reason to it, but my parents want me to be successful in life. We’re a very upper class family, as well as the Sinclair’s. Because of that little fact right there, my parents want to stay in the upper class position. They do not want the family name to be stepped upon or trashed in any way, which has made them call for an arranged marriage with the equally rich Sinclair’s. Their lovely daughter, my future wife, Rachel, was the only one liable to be my wife. They had a younger daughter, Penelope, but she was only sixteen. Rachel was twenty-three and I was twenty-five. While the entire arrangement might make some people angry or sad, I'm quite pleased that it has been done. I rarely have luck with dates, and I'm not ‘looking to score’, so having my wife practically pop out of nowhere with a very small possibility of getting out of the marriage, it’s just perfect. I want to settle down and start a family, and I can do that in the next few years.

So, while I do find the reason for the marriage greedy and not really for my best interests, I'm still happy that it has been done, whether it be for money or another reason.

The Sinclair’s left before the first caterer came; they had to attend work. Work always seemed to be the most important thing in both families. Rachel and I talked about it when we were finally allowed to hold a conversation in private.

“How have you been, Frank?” Rachel asked me as we sat on the couch facing the window.

“I’ve been good, actually. Thank you for asking. And how have you been?” I asked her. As I talked to her, I couldn’t help but smile. Her perfectly straight teeth were glimmering in the sunlight as well.

“I'm splendid Frank,” she told me, looking into my eyes. This only resulted in more smiles. I can openly say that I do not love Rachel. We’ve known each other for a month and we rarely get to talk to each other, so no, I wouldn’t call it love. However, I do like her, clearly, as I'm okay with marrying her.

“The first caterer is here,” my mother informed the two of us. I looked to my mother and nodded. This was going to be a long day.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, here it is. I hope I do not royally fuck this up as I think I will...