So This Is Love

Rachel's Thoughts

There was just five days until the wedding. I moved out of Gerard's house about a week ago after my mom pretty much forced me. She didn’t know where I was living, but her constant phone calls were getting on my nerves.

I haven’t spoken to Rachel ever since, but today I wanted to change that.

I went to her house and was greeted by her father and his incredibly strong handshake. I was allowed to see her for a while because she had to go somewhere a little later. We were sat in the family room of their house. Rachel’s mom brought us some tea and then left with her husband to another room.

“Hello Frank,” Rachel smiled.

“Hi,” I said. I sounded like a zombie.

“So, what brings you here on this fine spring day?” she said, giggling.

“Rachel, I don’t want to marry you,” I said bluntly. “Like, I really, really don’t want to marry you. If I marry you, I might try to kill myself a month later. I don’t like you like that. I don’t want to have kids with you or even have sex with you because the thought of that makes me want to vomit on the pretty white floors in your house. You're a complete stranger and I certainly don’t love you. If we have to get married though, for the sake of our parents, I’ll do that, but the very next day I'm going to file for divorce, so don’t think about wearing some tiny, sexy bikini on a honeymoon that we will never take. Sorry if I hurt your feelings, but I'm a changed man now.”

She looked at me with wide eyes. Her mouth was gaping open a little, just enough to where I could see her teeth, and her left eye started to twitch just a little bit.

“Really?” she gasped.

I nodded apathetically.

“Thank god!” she yelled, jumping on me in a hug. “I can't even begin to tell you how much I didn’t want to marry you either. I don’t know why our parents even insisted that we do this. I think you're a wonderful guy Frank, believe me, and I'm sure you'll make someone else extremely happy, but you're not right for me,” she said.

“And you're not right for me!” I laughed happily.

We hugged each other tightly and spun around a few times. This worked out better than I thought it would.

“Thank you for being so understanding,” I told her as I was ready to leave.

“Please, thank you for being understanding,” she smiled.

“You're pretty cool, Rachel. I doubted you; I thought you were a total bitch for some reason. I thought very wrong though. Hey, in the future, I’ll come to your wedding if you come to mine. I see a beautiful friendship in the making,” I told her. I kissed her cheek lightly and hugged her once again.

“Consider it a deal,” she whispered in my ear. I left her house a happy man.

When I got home, my mom immediately noticed my happiness as opposed to the walking zombie I was before I left.

“You seem a lot more gleeful,” she said.

“I am,” I grinned. I was still angry at her, but I'm not going to hold a grudge. While she says it’s what’s best for me, I know it’s not, but now I know that nothing bad will happen; a divorce is on its way and I'm not even married yet.

“Did you have a nice time with Rachel?” she asked me.

“I had the best time, mom. I think that today is quite possibly the happiest day of my life so far,” I said.

“How wonderful,” she said, overly excited. “My baby’s finally becoming a man.”

She squeezed me tightly, making me choke, and then let me go and carried on as if nothing happened. I need to get that women checked out for bipolar disorder. I'm not even trying to be funny either. I seriously think something’s wrong her sometimes.

I shook the thoughts out of my head and went to my room; I had to tell Gerard the wonderful news. I called him and he picked up right before I was about to give up and hang up.

“Hey Frank,” he said. He was out of breath.

“Hey, guess what?” I asked him. I was excited.

“What? Did you kill Rachel?” he asked me in a teasing tone of voice.

“Nope, something better; I went to her house today, and she doesn’t want to get married to me either! So, we’re getting a divorce the day after we’re married,” I said.

“Wow Frank. That’s great for you,” he said.

He didn’t sound as happy as I expected him to be.

“What's wrong with you?” I asked. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I'm fine. I'm just stressed out about serving at your wedding even if you're getting a divorce the next day. I have to go down to my business for the next few days and talk with my workers about what's going to happen and go over the shit that we’re going to serve and stuff like that. Don’t worry about me though; I’ll be fine,” he said.

“Oh, okay. Hey, do you think that you could actually serve my mom shit? I think that’d be hilarious,” I said.

“What? And ruin my business? Sorry Frank, but no,” he laughed. I laughed too.

We didn’t really talk after that, so we hung up.

I couldn’t wait until the day after the wedding. I would be free and my mom couldn’t say anything about it. Normally, a person’s marital reputation is somewhat ruined after the first marriage ends in divorce, so I'm hoping that that’s what’ll happen to me; then my mom won't try to set me up with the next rich person in hopes of keeping this family rich. If I can get a good enough job, I can certainly maintain the money income, so I don’t see why my mom even wanted me to get married anyway, unless … she wanted me to have kids so that the Iero chain will keep on rolling. Either way, I can have kids; I can always adopt or something. I believe that she's against adoption because the kid isn’t blood related. I still think I should get her checked out sometime soon…