So This Is Love

Fairytale

It was my wedding, and I was so nervous, and I wouldn’t be married tomorrow anyway. My dad walked into the room right after I put on my tie.

“Are you still not happy about this?” he asked, straightening my tie for me.

“Not at all,” I answered. My voice was shaky. Even though the marriage would be canceled tomorrow, I still had to act proper today for family and friends. It would be mostly their day in the end anyway.

“I’ll still support you in everything you do. Don’t listen to your mother sometimes. I forget why I even married her at times,” my dad sighed. “She used to be so caring and then the money went to her head, I suppose. Oh well, maybe I can still get her back to normal before your actual wedding if you ever have one,” he laughed. I laughed with him; my dad could be funny sometimes. “I think you'll be just fine, kid. Either way, you'll make me proud.”

With his final words, he left, patting me on the back. I turned and looked at myself in the mirror. I looked like a shrimp in a suit. God, this was so gay.

“Hey Frank, it’s time to come out,” my friend Mike told me, peeping his head in the door. I sucked in a quick breath and nodded, following him out of the door.

We steadily walked down the aisle and waited for Rachel to appear. I felt like only five seconds went by when we heard the music start playing and then Rachel appeared next her father as the treaded down the long, white aisle. She was smiling a fake smile as she took her place next to me. I glanced back to the giant doors and saw Gerard sneak in and sit in the back. He was in a common chef attire; white shirt and black slacks, but he pulled it off nicely. I would look like a penguin in that sort of stuff, which is why I try not to wear suits.

The reverend began to recite those sacred lines. Rachel and I had chosen not to deal with vows that came from the heart because honestly; what would be coming from our hearts anyway? A simple, you're nice, but I don’t love you in any way surely wouldn’t make our families too happy.

I tried to keep my vision on her, but I couldn’t help but steal a few quick glances at Gerard every now and then. He seemed anxious over something.

“If there is anyone here who has reason that these two should not be wed, please speak now or forever hold your peace,” the reverend said.

The whole room was silent. I could hear Rachel’s breathing get a little faster. I began to sweat.

“I object.”

Everyone turned their heads to see whose voice it was. I knew whose it was already.

Gerard came walking down the aisle in a hurry. I couldn’t stop the grin that was appearing on my face.

“And what is your objection?” the reverend asked quietly.

“Frank, I can't let you do this,” Gerard breathed. He seemed so out of breath. I was going to force him to quit smoking whether he liked it or not.

Suddenly, he grabbed my shoulders and pulled me towards him, kissing me deeply. Gasps filled the entire room. It was impossible not to hear, even if the kiss was this good. He pushed me away, but kept a grip on my shoulders.

“Frank, in the freakishly short period that I've known you, I've grown to kind of, um, love you, I guess. I can't say that I love, love you and want to be with you every waking moment for the rest of my life, but I sure as hell feel something for you—something stronger than a crush, that’s for sure. I've liked you since I first met you, and you’ve prove me wrong; you're not some stupid rich kid. You're much more than that. I just … I can't let you marry her when the two of you don’t even want this marriage in the first place.”

The reverend was looking at Gerard, clearly horrified. He didn’t look the least bit disgusted, which makes me think that he wasn’t homophobic. If he was, he doesn’t show it. However, I'm assuming that he's never held a wedding ceremony where a man objected and kissed the groom, rather than the bride.

“I want to call off this marriage,” I spoke, turning my attention to the reverend.

“So be it,” he said solemnly.

With that, he closed his book and walked away formally. Rachel was smiling at Gerard and I.

“So, I guess today was a waste of time and money, huh?” I whispered to her.

“Of course not; we’re both leaving as happy people today,” she said, smiling widely. The sunshine came in through the window and lit up her facial features. One of these days, she's going to be up here for real and she’ll be the happiest person ever.

I stepped over and hugged her tightly. As we broke apart, I kissed her cheek lightly.

“Promise me we’ll be friends after this,” she whispered.

“It’s the only promise I’ll ever give you,” I joked, making her laugh. She smiled and nodded her head and walked down the aisle. Her parents, screaming and throwing fits of their own, followed her, but she completely ignored them.

“Gerard, I somewhat love you too,” I grinned, turning back to him. I kissed him, trying my hardest to ignore my mother’s shrill cries. That woman needs to go somewhere—anywhere but here.

“Let’s get out of here,” Gerard said.

“What about all of that hard work you put into making the food?” I smirked.

“Fuck that; you're paying for it anyway,” he laughed.

“Should you really be cussing in church?” I laughed.

“Who cares at the moment,” he said.

He took my hand in his and we turned to leave. I looked to the faces of friends and family, seeing the disappointment and shame on the majority of their faces. Some of them were smiling though—my dad and a few cousins included. Zachary was smiling a sly smile at me. He winked as I passed him and then made obscene thrusting movements. I tried to ignore him.

“Where to now?” Gerard asked.

“Your place, maybe? I don’t think I have a place to live at the moment,” I said.

“You really think your mom’s going to kick you out?” he asked, rubbing the back of my hand.

“I can honestly say that she will, and if she doesn’t, then wow; that’s very nice of her not to.”

“Well hopefully she’ll be nice about everything. I mean, maybe not now, but in the future some time, you know?” he said, looking from his feet to me as we walked to his car parked on the side.

“Maybe in the future. But for now, I think it’s safe to say that my ass is smoked.”

We walked in silence the rest of the way to the car. Gerard unlocked it and we both got in. As he started the car, I made one final comment before sitting in silence on the way to his house.

“So, I guess this is what love is, huh?” I asked.

“Let’s hope so,” he grinned.

We had our fairytale ending.
♠ ♠ ♠
What a horrid ending, I know.
I would like to thank all of you that gave this story a chance, to those of you that stayed subscribed, and to those who wasted their time commenting, haha. XD
I had some fun writing this. =]
Also, even though it's months away (June 14), be prepared for a new story of mine. It's going to be so illegal. ;)