Sequel: Devour
Status: I finished it; go read Devour!!

Well Thought Out Twinkles

Before Our Lungs Give Up

We finished the tour then me and Bam came home. He moved Joe in with him, she's the first girl he's ever had that's actually sane.

Ali sat on the corner of my bed in Bam's house. She rambled about her meeting with Bam in the backyard last night. I watched her twirl her hair around her finger and chew on her lip.

I threw my book down and gave up on peace, "You know I don't condone what you're doing. I like Joe, she's actually decent."

Ali scoffed then stormed out of the room. I rolled my eyes and picked my book up again. Ville told me I should read this book. The Inferno by Dante.

Love, that can quickly seize the gentle heart,
took hold of him because of the fair body
taken from me; how that was done still wounds me.

Love that releases no beloved from loving,
that took hold of me so strongly that through his beauty
that, as you see, it has not left me yet.

Love led the two of us unto one death.


Bam moved my room next to his. I emptied the laundry basket onto my bed then began folding my clothes. I stopped when I came to a ragged looking Rolling Stones t-shirt. Ville. My heart raced when I noticed a note pinned to the inside. It was simply a phone number.

I darted for my cell phone and dialed the number frantically. I chewed on my lip nervously as the phone rang.

"Hello?" Ville's familiar voice said into the phone.

"Ville!" I whispered loudly.

"Alice!" I could hear relief in his voice.

"I missed you."

I could hear him smiling into the phone, "Where are you?"

"The castle." I replied.

"I'm in Finland." He replied nonchalantly.

"Finland?"

"I'm from there." He said like I should've already known.

"Really?"

"Yes now, you should do me a favor since you've been rather rude not to mention I haven't seen you in months." His confidence was almost arrogance.

"What do you want?" I asked as I tried my best to fold the remaining clothes while on the phone.

"A picture of you."

"How? I called your house or something."

"No, cell phone."

"You want me to send you a picture?"

"Yes I do."

"Okay," I decided it was okay. We said our goodbye's and it was strange. For our first conversation after two months and all that drama all he wants is a picture. I smiled and took my shirt off then pulled his dingy Rolling Stone shirt on. I took a picture and sent it to him. Seconds later my phone began ringing.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Wow." Was all he said. He talked about good books he'd seen, good food he'd eaten and how much he'd missed me.

We talked for hours, we talked until I couldn't bear to talk anymore because my throat was raw. I could have talked to him for the rest of my life or until my lungs turned into dust. He told me goodnight and that he would talk to me tomorrow, he said he expected another picture tomorrow.

Maybe if I have a picture of her for every day that I'm gone...it will be easier.

And then it hit me, I've spent so much of my time fighting devils that I never took a second to look at the angels around me. I never once thought to consider that maybe Ville is one of the good ones and I'm one of the lucky ones.

I stood at the end of my bed, staring out the window. It was black as night except for the small circle of light illuminated by the pole light in the backyard. I walked over to the window.

Ali stood in that small circle, puffing on a cigarette. I laughed as she blew five or six smoke rings in a row then stuck her arm through them. She finished the cigarette then ground the butt into the ground with her Converse covered foot.

Bam jumped out of the darkness and grabbed her. She threw her head back in laughter as he rubbed his scruffy beard against her neck.

I stepped back and closed my blinds. I wanted that to be me and Ville.

Slowly, I lose my eyes in you.
♠ ♠ ♠
???