Status: Work In Progress

Teardrops Turn to Rain

Chapter 2

He stood there behind the trees, looking at her with empty eyes. He turned away from her, he seemed as though he wanted her to follow him. She did, but she wasn’t quick enough. He ran, faster than any person could, and she could keep up. Her lungs were burning, her legs growing weaker. She couldn’t run anymore, it was impossible. He vanished out of sight and she fell to the ground in defeat. Her eyes were wet; she couldn’t stop the cascade of tears. She just lay there, cold and broken. The trees around her started to close in, she felt suffocated. She felt as though she wasn’t breathing any more, her chest was tight and she was gasping for air. It was like a huge weight had been dropped on her chest, crushing it.
She sat bolt upright in bed. She was covered in sweat; the dream had been so vivid, so real. She gasped for breath, she still felt suffocated. She put her head on the pillow, still breathing in short, panting breaths. She took a deep breath and a scent filled her nose. It was his scent, the only remnant of him she had left. She felt the hole in her heart ache slightly, and the tears well in her eyes. She tried to fight them but it was impossible. They came quick and fast, and she sobbed into her pillow.
Eventually she cried herself to sleep, and the dream started again.
He was stood in front of her, his eyes empty and cold. His face gave nothing away, it was expressionless. He repeated the words he had told her the day he left, but they seemed colder now, more real. Her heart broke all over again, even though she’d thought it wasn’t possible to break a broken heart. But yet here she was, her heart breaking again. She collapsed to the floor, curling herself up into a ball and trying to block him out. He turned to leave, and she reached up to grab his hand, but he moved quickly and dodged her. She fell to the ground, hitting her head on a tree trunk. She raised her hand to her head; something warm and sticky covered her hand. Tears swelled in her eye but she refused to cry. He turned away from her and disappeared.
This time when she woke up she wasn’t covered in sweat, but she was shaking uncontrollably. She hugged herself tightly and eventually she stopped. She looked at the picture of him on her bedside table. Suddenly she felt angry, she grabbed the picture and through against the wall. She ran to her closet, pulling out the bags of things he had bought her that she’d hidden away. She walked over to the window, throwing it open with such strength she almost pulled it off its hinges.
A cold gust of window hit her but she didn’t stop. She threw the bags out of the window, some of the items scattered onto the back lawn. She ran down the stairs, two at a time. She grabbed a bottle of lighter fluid from the cupboard as she passed, heading straight for the back door. She pulled the dustbin into the middle of the lawn, grabbing the bags and stuffing them violently into the bin. She poured the lighter fluid over the bags, and struck a match.
She deliberated for a minute if she had the nerve to do it, but then realised she did have the nerve and threw the flame into the bin. The bin went up in flames, and she stood there, watching everything burn…